Strange message when logging in.

Can anyone tell me the meaning this this strange message when often but not always pops up briefly when I log in ?

I have arrowed the message on the screeshot.

It shows the notifications bell plus the words " you have 5 personal messages "    -  the actual number varies.

But as can be seen from the top there is only one message listed and it is not a personal one.

I have never been able to find the alleged sender either . Who or what is C-19 ?

PMs.jpg.f3594ff4e0777cf7306013373dc29a79.jpg

Thanks.

Edited by studiot

You seem to have forgotten to include an image, but often a spammer scammer creates an account, blasts users with scores of PMs without ever even posting, then gets banned or vanished (either by the software or mid team) before you see it. However, those red notification bubbles often have latency in updating / clearing and displays inaccurate counts 

15 minutes ago, iNow said:

You seem to have forgotten to include an image, but often a spammer scammer creates an account, blasts users with scores of PMs without ever even posting, then gets banned or vanished (either by the software or mid team) before you see it. However, those red notification bubbles often have latency in updating / clearing and displays inaccurate counts 

Many thanks +1.

What an Idiot I be.

The messages are white on black and have been going on for some months now.

I just was quick enough to catch it before it disappeared this time.

Edited by studiot

23 minutes ago, Sensei said:

If these messages have been sent and you have email notifications set up at https://www.scienceforums.net/notifications/options/ , copies of private messages should also be in your mailbox. Try the spam folder? They cannot be deleted by the forum mods or antispam bots automatically..

Many thanks for trying to help. +1

Notes.

The black notifications indicated only appear sometimes.

They only appear when logging into Science Forums and remain for about 20 seconds then disappear.

I have never found an actual message anywhere, either on the forums or in my email or on the pc.

I have no idea who or what c-19 might be.

I only get a notification that there is a new pm by email, not the text of the meessage.

The last pm I received was on nov 5 and I read it so it is not new.  The screenshot was taken on Dec 14 so more than amonth later.

Try clearing your browser cache and cookies. Perhaps something from the previous version of the forum remained there and is interfering with the newer version.

..or the forum software (most likely JavaScript) has problems with your browser version (which is a very common problem)..

If you don't want to flush the cache and cookies, just create another profile (URL: about:profiles in Firefox).

And use it instead for a few days to see if it misbehaves too.

Edited by Sensei

I just had some fun writing a SQL query of the forum database, and it appears you have a PM conversation from February 2021 titled "C-19", and the system thinks it has unread posts. Why it's notifying you about them now I have no idea, but it's a real conversation.

This link should take you to it:  https://www.scienceforums.net/messenger/70769/

For my future reference, here's the query:

SELECT msg_author_id, msg_topic_id, from_unixtime(msg_date), map_has_unread, msg_post, mt_title 
FROM `core_message_posts` 
LEFT JOIN `core_message_topics` ON msg_topic_id = mt_id 
LEFT JOIN `core_message_topic_user_map` ON mt_id = map_topic_id 
WHERE map_user_id = 74263 
ORDER BY msg_date DESC; 

26 minutes ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

I just had some fun writing a SQL query of the forum database, and it appears you have a PM conversation from February 2021 titled "C-19", and the system thinks it has unread posts. Why it's notifying you about them now I have no idea, but it's a real conversation.

This link should take you to it:  https://www.scienceforums.net/messenger/70769/

For my future reference, here's the query:

SELECT msg_author_id, msg_topic_id, from_unixtime(msg_date), map_has_unread, msg_post, mt_title 
FROM `core_message_posts` 
LEFT JOIN `core_message_topics` ON msg_topic_id = mt_id 
LEFT JOIN `core_message_topic_user_map` ON mt_id = map_topic_id 
WHERE map_user_id = 74263 
ORDER BY msg_date DESC; 

Many Thanks.

You have a PM about it.