McCarthy out... what next?

StringJunky

4 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Sorry, my sentence was ambiguous. I meant to say that a maximum age (or term limit) might not be a bad thing.

Right. We need to be realistic about our frailties as we get older. I think  there needs to be a mandatory maximum line drawn  in the sand. The SC is even more concerning in this regard imo. Concerning Bide, considerable efforts are apparently made to accommodate Biden's deceasing mobility. He can't just jump on a plane anymore. Make no mistake, I'd still sooner see him Pres than Trump, but on a wider, long-term, systemic level, it wants addressing. Vanity and the desire to maintain relevance in the public arena can blind one to ones personal shortcomings that have crept up over the years.  I think Biden is in that position.

5 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I find it quite sad that people, including Biden, are surgically altering their apparent age

I'm not aware that Biden had surgury to alter his image. Sounds like one of those false claims that so quickly gains traction and spreads like wildfire across social media.

Regardless, one thing which is already here is Digitally altering apparent age. Insta-filter on video, real-time. Commercials with Biden in his 30s looking young and vigorous coming soon to a screen near you... (though, if we're being honest, it's far more likely we'll see it first with Trump since he's so vain and insecure).

2 hours ago, StringJunky said:

considerable efforts are apparently made to accommodate Biden's deceasing mobility. He can't just jump on a plane anymore. Make no mistake

This is more about optics than medical need. He trips sometimes, as do we all. When I trip, everyone after laughing thinks, "Ooops... happens to us all!" When Biden trips, they think, "Jesus that guy's old," even though it's a fairly common thing to happen to humans.

"Make no mistake" is literally how they have to operate today to avoid being misconstrued and meme'd. 

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

I'm not aware that Biden had surgury to alter his image. Sounds like one of those false claims that so quickly gains traction and spreads like wildfire across social media.

Regardless, one thing which is already here is Digitally altering apparent age. Insta-filter on video, real-time. Commercials with Biden in his 30s looking young and vigorous coming soon to a screen near you... (though, if we're being honest, it's far more likely we'll see it first with Trump since he's so vain and insecure).

Like my avatar, I shall be forever 50. :D 

5 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I did read somewhere that Biden needed to 'look the part' and seemed to admit as much when the subject came to light some time ago. 

I’ve been grateful for his decades of experience and the experience of his hand picked leadership teams these last few years. A set of steady hands at the tiller. They’ve done a remarkable job returning us to normality in otherwise chaotic times. If congress wasn’t so dysfunctional and full of ignorant clowns, we’d surely be even better off than we already are. 

20 hours ago, iNow said:

This is more about optics than medical need. He trips sometimes, as do we all. When I trip, everyone after laughing thinks, "Ooops... happens to us all!" When Biden trips, they think, "Jesus that guy's old," even though it's a fairly common thing to happen to humans.

"Make no mistake" is literally how they have to operate today to avoid being misconstrued and meme'd. 

80 is old, however you spin it. Why do SC judges and politicians get a pass to retire when then like... are they immortal? This applies anywhere. I am quite cogent of the effects of aging. With old age can emerge belligerence and self-denialism, especially in public-facing positions. This is not intended as a slight on what Biden has done, but an acknowledgement of that we wear out. We reach a point where we can't see the wood for the trees. I've just observed a friend's mother over the last years decline and die of Alzheimer's, so human mental fragility has been  quite to the fore in my recent experience.

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

80 is old, however you spin it.

We agree. Decline occurs and generally quite rapidly as we age. I’m still thankful given the current happenings in the world that he’s the one helping us navigate it. He knows how this works and better than most. 

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

80 is old, however you spin it. Why do SC judges and politicians get a pass to retire when then like... are they immortal?

For SC, they were concerned Justices' opinions could be swayed by pension concerns and didn't anticipate people living so long.

https://guides.loc.gov/federalist-papers/text-71-80#s-lg-box-wrapper-25493471

They really didn't think some things through. The loser of the Presidential election becoming the Vice President was another big one.