Large Language Models (LLM) and significant mathematical discoveries

Ghideon

Large Language Models (LLMs) like GPT-4 and its predecessors are, as far as I know, built upon a foundation of mathematical and computational concepts, some of which were established long ago. I've been asked to do a short presentation about LLMs and I'm thinking of including a timeline of mathematical concepts to give some context to the audience. Can you suggest significant discoveries that could be included? There is likely no exact answer and I would value your opinion.

For a short list I have these as a starting point:
-Probability Theory
-Foundations of Calculus
-Vectors and Matrices (Linear Algebra)
-Neural Networks
-Information Theory (entropy)

(and maybe some recent things like Word Embeddings and Transformer Architecture )

I'll need to do some research to assign reasonable time stamps to the concepts.   

11 hours ago, Ghideon said:

Large Language Models (LLMs) like GPT-4 and its predecessors are, as far as I know, built upon a foundation of mathematical and computational concepts, some of which were established long ago. I've been asked to do a short presentation about LLMs and I'm thinking of including a timeline of mathematical concepts to give some context to the audience. Can you suggest significant discoveries that could be included? There is likely no exact answer and I would value your opinion.

For a short list I have these as a starting point:
-Probability Theory
-Foundations of Calculus
-Vectors and Matrices (Linear Algebra)
-Neural Networks
-Information Theory (entropy)

(and maybe some recent things like Word Embeddings and Transformer Architecture )

I'll need to do some research to assign reasonable time stamps to the concepts.   

I will be interested to see the response from other member to this question but you may also find some useful source material for your lecture in this book

51zU0Zk9zLL._AC_UY218_.jpg.27738e86690f9e428d075fcf7e190105.jpg

Despite the title here is a contents list as to why it may be relevant.

(Hofstadter has written some other titles which I can't comment on.)

hofstadter.thumb.jpg.1033acf139557941dd10fbb0d225e67b.jpg

I'd also add cellular automata (maybe rule 30) to invoke the idea that we can have simple and precisely known rules which generate unpredictable iterations in order to communicate an intuition as to why at a high level we don't know how deep learning architectures produce their outputs.

1 hour ago, Prometheus said:

I'd also add cellular automata (maybe rule 30) to invoke the idea that we can have simple and precisely known rules which generate unpredictable iterations in order to communicate an intuition as to why at a high level we don't know how deep learning architectures produce their outputs.

Like it +1

2 hours ago, Prometheus said:

We cannot predict the result, but we know how to get to it step-by-step. Thus, I don't think it explains "why at a high level we don't know how deep learning architectures produce their outputs."

Edited by Genady

12 hours ago, studiot said:

Despite the title here is a contents list as to why it may be relevant.

Thanks for the list and the book suggestion!

11 hours ago, Prometheus said:

cellular automata

That is a good suggestion as well.  
I'm also thinking of adding  "Optimization" (one example: gradient descent).

Note: I've not added Turing machine to the list; I see Turing as more foundational to computing in general and not a top candidate in the context of LLMs. But I'm open for suggestions and opinions.  

Edited by Ghideon

Whether the sample dataset is representative of the population being described plays a sizable role, too. Selection of the source data and how that’s accomplished. What feeds it largely dictates what it poops out. 

• 1 month later...

Update: I wanted to share that I didn't (yet) get a chance to use the insights on the history of mathematics we discussed in this thread. An external AI expert covered the background and history of AI in their speech, so I shifted my focus to the current risks, opportunities, and guidelines related to Generative AI. I believe my presentation was well-received, as I've been asked to speak again. Hopefully I can include my view on the history of AI. A big thank you to everyone who contributed!