lost typing in the input box.

In the past when I wanted to test or check something something during composing a reply a reply I could leave that thread make my check and then return to the original thread.

So long as I simply clicked in the reply box before I did anything else, my previous typing reappeared and I could carry on.

Why does this useful feature no longer work ?

3 hours ago, studiot said:

In the past when I wanted to test or check something something during composing a reply a reply I could leave that thread make my check and then return to the original thread.

So long as I simply clicked in the reply box before I did anything else, my previous typing reappeared and I could carry on.

Why does this useful feature no longer work ?

I believe stored client-side. Have any browser settings possibly changed?

11 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

I believe stored client-side. Have any browser settings possibly changed?

Well thanks for that.

It is certainly non functional for me atm.

All I did was test some Tex in the sandbox.

Gosh that lot came up when I came to type in a reply, after entering your quote into the box.

Weird.

Anyway I would be very grateful if you could point me at any Firefox settings I can look at in W10

25 minutes ago, studiot said:

Well thanks for that.

It is certainly non functional for me atm.

All I did was test some Tex in the sandbox.

Gosh that lot came up when I came to type in a reply, after entering your quote into the box.

Weird.

Anyway I would be very grateful if you could point me at any Firefox settings I can look at in W10

Would recommend a general cleaning and making sure SFN wasn't blocked for some reason.

Check here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/storage

I have switched to the Brave Browser my desktop, if you want a different one to test with.

6 minutes ago, mistermack said:

One thing I've found is that if you have text that you think is saved, but then click quote or try to type in an earlier page, what you thought you had saved disappears instantly. 

Thanks.

Yes I have often collected quotes from various back pages by methodically going through and adding them to the imput box.

Then moving on to another page and immediately clicking in the now empty input box at the bottom of the page which restores my previous collection so I can add to it.

Yet again I have wasted my time and effort (and money buying windows 10) trying to reply honestly to a thread.

I prepared this reply but when I submitted it it all disappeared again.

I was able to recover it, but it disappeared 3 times in a row, although you can see from the screenshot that I was allegedly logged in at the time.

For one of those tries, I tried relogging in but it still happened.

reply1.thumb.jpg.794f943d077069f4a917e49c9540901e.jpg

Furthermore now I am logged in I thought adverts wer in general suppressed, not covering a significant proportion of the users screen ?

reply2.thumb.jpg.efa12081268cc06a76333c59e473bf60.jpg

I lose the content of the edit box if another user wrote a message while I was typing, the forum showed "a new message appeared" and I clicked the button in this pop-up..

Switching to another tab (without scienceforums.net) e.g. Google Translator/Deepl and back is fine. As long as I don't click pop-ups from scienceforums.net, in the middle of edit.

I learned to copy and paste long posts "just in case".. ;)

ps. @studiot You can always use a keylogger. It will record everything you type anywhere. Then you copy the log from the keylogger and voila.

ps2. It does not depend on OS. I am using Linux. It happened on Win7 and Win10 too.

ps3. Obviously you used multiple scienceforums.net tabs not back and forward buttons, right?

There is only one classical cookie, LocalStorage supercookie and SessionStorage supercookie, with the given name and it is shared by all open tabs.

Okay. I clicked F12 in Firefox, then Storage tab, then in Local Storage there is supercookie with name "editorSave.reply-forums/forums-THREAD_NUMBER" and "editorSave.newMessageTo-POST_NUMBER" which are updated in real-time when I type this message.

LocalStorage should even survive a computer reset (unless someone has enabled automatic cookie deletion or browser settings).

Edited by Sensei

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

There is only one classical cookie, LocalStorage supercookie and SessionStorage supercookie, with the given name and it is shared by all open tabs.

Thanks for the thoughts, I will look into them.  +1

No I was not using multiple tabs, though in the past I have used either them or mltiple instances of the browser.

Nor were there multiple pages on Geordief's thread to content with, which has sometimes been a problem.

Unfortunately I don't have anything to save the work to on this computer as I am unable to afford yet another copy of word etc.

I tried to save it to notepad but it came out all mis-formatted.

I can still save OK on the old pc but then the site won't allow me to use the input editor any more.

Ironically I have just posted a reply in the thread where another member has just claimed that technology is steadily advancing.

Edited by studiot