Waves (split from Language development in other Homos)

Saber

The  thought of extracting sound from objects   brought up   some other questions

When  two  or more  electromagnetic waves  collide they mix with each other And form a result wave   @  the point of  collision  and then they  continue to  go  as they  were before the  collision  right ?

Is  it possible  that  after the collision they  each  hold information  about the  collision  like  the  place  ( distance from the point of  observation ) of collision    or  the characteristics of the other waves it  had collided with ?

1 hour ago, Saber said:

The  thought of extracting sound from objects   brought up   some other questions

When  two  or more  electromagnetic waves  collide they mix with each other And form a result wave   @  the point of  collision  and then they  continue to  go  as they  were before the  collision  right ?

Is  it possible  that  after the collision they  each  hold information  about the  collision  like  the  place  ( distance from the point of  observation ) of collision    or  the characteristics of the other waves it  had collided with ?

Yes, they just go through each other.

No, they don't interact.

40 minutes ago, Genady said:

Yes, they just go through each other.

No, they don't interact.

Dont  they add up to  each other and form a form of  result  wave @ the  point of  collision ?

19 minutes ago, Saber said:

Dont  they add up to  each other and form a form of  result  wave @ the  point of  collision ?

Yes, at any point in spacetime where the two waves are present, the resulting field is the sum of two fields. Each one of the two waves continues unchanged.

They do not "collide". Their effects simply add up.

1 hour ago, Genady said:

Yes, at any point in spacetime where the two waves are present, the resulting field is the sum of two fields. Each one of the two waves continues unchanged.

They do not "collide". Their effects simply add up.

Thanx....

Do  physical  waves like  sound  waves that  are  compressional ( longitudinal ) waves   also  follow that  ?

Edited by Saber

4 minutes ago, Saber said:

Thanx....

Do  physical  waves like  sound  waves that  are  compressional ( longitudinal ) waves   also  follow that  ?

I think, they do in the first approximation. But generally, they are more complex because there are other internal forces in the fluids.

6 hours ago, Saber said:

Two facts about sounds for you to research.

Firstly the sounds that create intelligible (human and i think other species) 'speech' are not the sort of sound wave you would see on an oscilloscope trace of say an orchestra. That is some sort of amplitude trace of varying frequency or frequencies.
They are what is known as pulse code modulated. The information is actually contained in bursts or pulses which are pretty well independent of either frequency or amplitude.

Secondly sound waves, whether pulse or continuous, do not substantially impinge on bulk objects to create measurable and lasting traces.

But geologists recognise that waves can be literally cast in stone in  slow sedimentation processes. As fine grained sediment settles, compacts and eventually solidifies it can bear the effects of gently passing waves. These are called ripple marks in the bedding.

5 hours ago, Genady said:

I'd like to know what you've posted, but I can't, because

a) I'd have to follow the link, which is against the rules, and

b) the link is a URL shortener, which is not advised to follow.

I  dont  know  why  it  was  removed  it was a   video  showing that using a wave detector device  the send &  receive  Wifi   signals & waves normal  ordinary   modems  can be used like a radar to picture a 3d  model  out of your house and any  stationary  or  moving  object that is in it......including humans living in it.......

Edited by Saber

1 hour ago, Saber said:

I  dont  know  why  it  was  removed  it was a   video  showing that using a wave detector device  the send &  receive  Wifi   signals & waves normal  ordinary   modems  can be used like a radar to picture a 3d  model  out of your house and any  stationary  or  moving  object that is in it......including humans living in it.......

!

Moderator Note

No, it didn’t. You must have pasted the wrong link. Your link went to video entitled “Didnt realize how fcked we are” and it spoke about reading thoughts or some such.

Rule 2.7 says, in part:

members should be able to participate in the discussion without clicking any links or watching any videos. Videos and pictures should be accompanied by enough text to set the tone for the discussion, and should not be posted alone

which you did not follow.

16 hours ago, Saber said:

spam link removed

shortened link removed

I tried the link, and was taken to a comedy website.

But because I am lucky enough to be using an old pc the website did not work for me just displaying the address and a blank page.

However what you describe in you next post does not constitute waves impinging on material objects to create a permanent image of the wave.

Sure you can record readings and plot them, but that is your observations creating the permanent image, not the wave itself.

1 hour ago, Saber said:

54 minutes ago, swansont said:

No, it didn’t. You must have pasted the wrong link. Your link went to video entitled “Didnt realize how fcked we are” and it spoke about reading thoughts or some such.

If you would  ignore that  part that also  was talking about a device that  could  decode brain activity  waves  and reconstruct approximately and not precisely  the thoughts  the person  had...........it was a 10-15  second    of  talking  about that...then  the  rest of the  clip  was  about the thing i mentioned  .

54 minutes ago, swansont said:

members should be able to participate in the discussion without clicking any links or watching any videos. Videos and pictures should be accompanied by enough text to set the tone for the discussion, and should not be posted alone

I think  you as a mod could see the parts  of the  post  i edited.............i   wrote   some  of  my  ideas  about  it  but  i  feared  that the mods or  other people   would  be  upset and tell me  dont talk  about  your ideas  with out  evidence......so  i  edited the post  and   preferred to  not write  anything......to see  what  others  think and  say  about it.....

44 minutes ago, studiot said:

I tried the link, and was taken to a comedy website.

But because I am lucky enough to be using an old pc the website did not work for me just displaying the address and a blank page.

I  downloaded it  and put it in one of my  telegram  channels  if the Mods  would give me  the permision i could  put the link here.....

Edited by Saber

37 minutes ago, Saber said:

I think  you as a mod could see the parts  of the  post  i edited

No, not after you edited them. We don’t track that.

the  rest of the  clip  was  about the thing i mentioned 

But you just posted the link, and did not convey this information in text, as required by the rules.

And, as studiot notes, it’s a comedy site. There’s no way to fast-forward through the video (on my iPad, at least), so one must waste time wading through nonsense to get to the salient point, and no info about who the person giving the talk is. There’s no credibility offered here. Just the prospect of wasted time.

By  the  way  a question

Can  waves that  have a higher energy level  thus can  move further and  through denser  objects.........carry  other waves with lower energy  levels  with in themselves....

And  carry those  other waves to  distances or  through objects  that  they  themselves normally cant ?

Basically  can  waves  carry  other waves ?

Edited by Saber

32 minutes ago, Saber said:

By  the  way  a question

Can  waves that  have a higher energy level  thus can  move further and  through denser  objects.........carry  other waves with lower energy  levels  with in themselves....

And  carry those  other waves to  distances or  through objects  that  they  themselves normally cant ?

Basically  can  waves  carry  other waves ?

It doesn't make sense to go on with this vague language. The only way to ask and to answer meaningfully is to use mathematics. Check, e.g., Fourier series.

6 minutes ago, Saber said:

What do you mean by  vague ?  Did  i  Upset  you  again ?

No, you didn't upset me. By vague I mean that answers depend on what you refer to as wave and as wave carrying wave.

1 minute ago, Genady said:

No, you didn't upset me. By vague I mean that answers depend on what you refer to as wave and as wave carrying wave.

i  had a book in early 90's   it  illustrated in it that  certain radio  waves can  act as a carrier wave for other waves

It was  some thing  like this...

Communication-System-33.jpg.f7bf094104f83de798a95f55d847a148.jpg

5 minutes ago, Saber said:

i  had a book in early 90's   it  illustrated in it that  certain radio  waves can  act as a carrier wave for other waves

It was  some thing  like this...

Communication-System-33.jpg.f7bf094104f83de798a95f55d847a148.jpg

OK, this looks like the Fourier series I've mentioned. Any wave can be decomposed into a sum of weighted sinusoidal waves. Each component wave behaves independently, and the resulting wave behaves as their sum. The component waves do not affect each other.

6 minutes ago, Genady said:

OK, this looks like the Fourier series I've mentioned. Any wave can be decomposed into a sum of weighted sinusoidal waves. Each component wave behaves independently, and the resulting wave behaves as their sum. The component waves do not affect each other.

thanx

2 hours ago, Genady said:

Added detail this is also applied to superposition of wavefunctions in QM and QFT. The superimposed wavefunction is the sum of all wavefunctions. The collapse occurs when you examine one of the component wavefunctions in a nutshell. (using similar grammar as Genady). Though in QM and QFT these would be probability wavefunctions. Not to be confused with physical waveforms.

Edited by Mordred