Privacy notice + downtime on Tuesday 11th April

Dave

1 hour ago, studiot said:

Sadly I have to report that SF no longer works completely on my Dell desktop windows XP.

@StringJunky

It's doubtful that WinXP is to blame. Usually websites don't check what OS the user has.

If it worked before the update, yesterday, now it doesn't, then it's a browser problem, not an operating system problem.. i.e., the forum developers started using a JavaScript instruction that is not present or changed in your outdated web browser, and the JS code crashed..

Today I tried to use our local Take Away site from the 2019 Linux distro with "only" a 4-year-old web browser and found that it no longer works. The location cannot be searched. Cookie-crap confirmation does not show up. JS code must have crashed and further code is not executed.. It was working fine a few months/weeks ago..

Devs generally check software on latest version of web browser..

ps. Seriously? I wouldn't dare these days to connect a WinXP machine to the Internet and use it to browse..

In order type type this in I have had to borrow a windows 10 laptop, not a long term proposition.

You don't have to buy a new computer, especially if you have >= 4 GB ram.

What you need is Kali Linux Live Pendrive. 2 GB or 4 GB obsolete pendrive is enough. (I can't buy less than 16 GB in any shop. 32 GB costs $5)

The last Lite version is from 2019.4 it requires 2 GB pendrive:

http://old.kali.org/kali-images/kali-2019.4/

The latest Live version is from 2023.1 it requires 4 GB pendrive:

http://old.kali.org/kali-images/kali-2023.1/

WinXP machine is 32 bit or 64 bit?

If 32 bit, you pick up "i386" distro.

If 64 bit, you pick up "amd64" distro.

e.g.

http://old.kali.org/kali-images/kali-2023.1/kali-linux-2023.1-live-amd64.iso

Buy the cheapest 120 GB SSD for $15, and the amount of memory will not matter much. If there is not enough memory, the page file on the disk will be used (as it must be happening on your WinXP right now).

But you will have to pick up "installer" distro.

ps. Working on WinXP 32 bit with HDD daily must be a real pain.. Ages of waiting for something to happen.. SSD drive is ~ 10x faster than HDD.. NVMe drive is 5-7x faster than SSD, and 50-70x faster than HDD..

i.e. if something takes 5 minutes on your machine, it takes 5 seconds on ours..

I would actually expect enhanced functionality, not reduced as has happened.

Developers have at their disposal the fastest modern machines with the latest OS versions, including yet-to-be-released.. (I have Android 13 emulator, can download Android 14..)

So, if the bug is introduced, which breaks code on obsolete system, they (most likely) have no idea about it..

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, xembongtructiepnet said:

The update was successful in that we were able to install some new hardware! (Which might result in a slightly snappier site.) I will need to do a bit more work this afternoon to get the forum software updated, which might have more impact in terms of the spam

!

Moderator Note

Copying and pasting the work of others is plagiarism, and is against our rules here. You are suspended for a week.