Is the brain the only one asleep ?

Externet

Hello all.

While sleeping; is there any other functions in a human that also go to 'sleep' ?  Or is it only portions of the brain ?

The production of cells, the healing processes that may be happening, the digestion, the growth, the decay, the activity of dozen of organs seem in permanent action...     I would say vision, and to a certain level, smelling, tact, hearing are not alert/active.  Tossing and turning in bed is not muscular sleep, is it ?   Do those dozen of organs have their 'rest / vacation' time ?  🤔

The body has various modes of resting.  The principal exception, for certain 67 year old men who shall remain anonymous, is the bladder and the part of the brain monitoring it.  You would think the brain monitor could just shut up about it, just reason that the bladder isn't going to explode between 3 and 6 am, that a certain degree of fullness is tolerable, and not run around shaking other brain areas out of sound sleep with outrageous claims of an imminent exploding bladder.  But no.  

12 minutes ago, TheVat said:

The body has various modes of resting.  The principal exception, for certain 67 year old men who shall remain anonymous, is the bladder and the part of the brain monitoring it.  You would think the brain monitor could just shut up about it, just reason that the bladder isn't going to explode between 3 and 6 am, that a certain degree of fullness is tolerable, and not run around shaking other brain areas out of sound sleep with outrageous claims of an imminent exploding bladder.  But no.  

That sounds like an enlarging prostate, which is pretty typical in aging men. I use zinc to deal with it. 

25 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

That sounds like an enlarging prostate, which is pretty typical in aging men. I use zinc to deal with it. 

Mine has improved after my inguinal hernia was operated on.I also drink coffee during the day  to keep the day/night rhythm of urination 

Also kegels, which have to be done correctly.

Never heard of zinc being used.Sounds like that may be for general prostate health?

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

1 hour ago, geordief said:

Also kegels, which have to be done correctly

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

Don't drink anything after 6 pm if you plan to go to bed at 10 pm.

In the anonymous fellow's case, it's OAB, not prostate issues.  OAB is helped by avoiding acidic drinks (OJ, e.g.), coffee (obv), spices, and yes minimize h2o in evening.  Sorry for digression, OP!