Jump to content

Philosophical Implications Of Infinite Parallel Multiverses


Recommended Posts

I was thinking the other day about QM, uncertainty principle, superposition the multiverse theory, destiny and so forth.

I then started to consider what the philosophical implications of infinite multiverses may present. The main one I considered was what this means for a person regarding their "soul", their destiny and so forth...

I started to imagine such a scenario where we have the idea of infinite parallel multiverses where every quantum change creates a new universe that branches off. This sounds so far out there but is considered by some physicist as a plausible idea that can be used to explain many phenomena.

So in this scenario everything that could exist does exist and every scenario within the confines of the laws of nature that can happen does happen. This means that there potentially would be an infinite number of every possible person that could ever be and every possible scenario would exist. This then lend me to think about a person's sense of themselves; the choices they make, what they believe to be their destiny, all the good and all the bad experiences, the length of their lives... the list is endless.

But in short if this was how the universe functioned then what we consider to be destiny, luck, chance... each are just a tiny perception within our own experiences of one big puzzle where non of those have any real meaning. Then this led me to consider our "souls" and god even though I'm not a particular believer in either and what it means to sense oneself if there are an infinite number of you in existence.

This then made me consider the implications of how any of that would fit into the big picture,  the value of life both universally and individually and how value of any kind could have any real meaning in terms of this big picture. 

I could go on... since my mind has been going over this the last few days. I just thought I'd share it with you folks, if anyone is interested.

Thanks

     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Intoscience said:

So in this scenario everything that could exist does exist and every scenario within the confines of the laws of nature that can happen does happen. This means that there potentially would be an infinite number of every possible person that could ever be and every possible scenario would exist. This then lend me to think about a person's sense of themselves; the choices they make, what they believe to be their destiny, all the good and all the bad experiences, the length of their lives... the list is endless.

the list is endless, but there's only one possible path... 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Intoscience said:

For each of us? But which us is you?

1 minute ago, Intoscience said:

there's only one possible path... 😉

For both of us.

 

how else can we communicate? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

can you rephrase please, i don't know what you mean. 

Yeah sure,

Ok, so we have a situation where there are an infinite numbers of parallel multiverses that continually split of at every change in every existing quantum state. Sort of the multi world time line idea. This means that there are an infinite number of versions of you'. At the moment of your creation, there is the original you, every moment there after another version is created in parallel. This in theory would then continue exponentially at the speed of light. As you can see from this, there are an unimaginable number of yourself, even at a brief moment from the point of your original conception.

So, coming back to the question. 

Would there always remain a connection between each version, do you share a soul, consciousness etc... Are you entwined on a level beyond what you can consciously experience? Or at each moment of divergence a new unique and unconnected version of you is created with an independent soul, consciousness etc...?  

Edited by Intoscience
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Intoscience said:

This means that there are an infinite number versions of you's.

 howmy life is finite.

18 minutes ago, Intoscience said:

So, coming back to the question does there remain a connection between each version, do you share a soul, consciousness etc... Are you entwined on a level beyond what you can consciously experience? Or at each moment of divergence a new unique and unconnected version of you created?

All we can know is, there's only one possible place the needle can be,  on the record/path of life.

Edited by dimreepr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

only if there is an infinite number of divisions to be made. 

Yes, and I understand (although disagree) that there is. Moreover, some divisions create infinite numbers of the universes at one splitting point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

 howmy life is finite.

All we can know is, there's only one possible place the needle can be,  on the record/path of life.

Your personal experience of your life is finite. There also can be an infinite number of versions of you existing in parallel all with a finite existence.

The needle might be in only one position from your personal perspective but maybe at an infinite number of positions all at any infinite number of moments. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Genady said:

Yes, and I understand (although disagree) that there is. Moreover, some divisions create infinite numbers of the universes at one splitting point. 

there's a smallest planc, whnot me?  

19 minutes ago, Intoscience said:

The needle might be in only one position from your personal perspective but maybe at an infinite number of positions all at any infinite number of moments. 

 

On 1/11/2023 at 12:36 PM, dimreepr said:

the list is endless, but there's only one possible path... 😉

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

there's a smallest planc, whnot me?  

I am not sure about the smallest Plank; I've asked some questions about it for clarification in another thread but have never got a reply.

Regardless, even in one splitting moment infinite number of universes may appear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

the list is endless, but there's only one possible path..

One possible path from your own personal experience, maybe so. 

6 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

there's a smallest planc, whnot me?

I know a few "daft planks", myself included at times. Sorry couldn't resist we use that term regularly around my parts to describe someone larking around.

 

2 minutes ago, Genady said:

Regardless, even in one splitting moment infinite number of universes may appear

Yes, and this then poses the questions and considerations I have posed so far.

The question being, in this situation who is you and are you distinct in all ways from the rest? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Genady said:

I am not sure about the smallest Plank; I've asked some questions about it for clarification in another thread but have never got a reply.

Regardless, even in one splitting moment infinite number of universes may appear.

Do you mean "is there a smallest possible size?"

I think I have read an answer  to that as "we don't know"

 

Is it possible that the theory of an infinite number of parallel universes  might be talking about "virtual" parallel universes?(so they never become real,they always recombine to one outcome)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, geordief said:

Do you mean "is there a smallest possible size?"

I think I have read an answer  to that as "we don't know"

Yes, size and time. I think, this is the correct answer.

 

1 hour ago, geordief said:

Is it possible that the theory of an infinite number of parallel universes  might be talking about "virtual" parallel universes?(so they never become real,they always recombine to one outcome)

I don't know. I don't know that theory well enough. To my very limited understanding, no.

1 hour ago, Intoscience said:

are you distinct in all ways from the rest?

My answer to this is, Yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, geordief said:

Is it possible that the theory of an infinite number of parallel universes  might be talking about "virtual" parallel universes?(so they never become real,they always recombine to one outcome)

Well yes, in a sense, there is superposition in QM theory also.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.