How can I get Benzaldehyde green stain off my countertop? Please help!

theridon

I have an aquarium product used to treat sick fish, apparently made of "Benzaldehyde green" (same thing as malachite green maybe). I got a little bit on my sink countertop and it won't come out! I tried numerous cleaning products, alcohol, scrubbing, nothing! If this stains the countertop forever my mom will murder me. Please advise! Thank you!

Here is an image: EARXFdO.jpg

You could try glycerol. They used to sell it in drugstores, but may not anymore. If you haven't any, perhaps a vegetable oil followed by soap.

Very few mothers murder their children for spilling something on a counter. She may be quite cross, but you life is probably safe.

3 hours ago, theridon said:

I have an aquarium product used to treat sick fish, apparently made of "Benzaldehyde green" (same thing as malachite green maybe). I got a little bit on my sink countertop and it won't come out! I tried numerous cleaning products, alcohol, scrubbing, nothing! If this stains the countertop forever my mom will murder me. Please advise! Thank you!

Here is an image: EARXFdO.jpg

Yes it seems to be the same as malachite green. (The name apparently comes from the colour- it’s an aniline dye: nothing to do with actual malachite, which is copper carbonate).

You may find a bleach will add chlorine across one of the double bonds and break up the conjugated system responsible for the colour.

I also see that this stuff can hydrolyse to a compound containing an alcohol group that does not have the colour. Alkaline hydrolysis in the presence of cationic surfactants seems to be one route. You might try oven cleaner. But do just one spot first in case it makes matters worse. 

Or it may just fade with time and routine cleaning.

Edited by exchemist

1 hour ago, studiot said:

Looks like a corian worktop.

They suggest ammonia,  (you mask will come in handy and wear gloves)

https://www.corian.com/-use-care-

Could be helpful. Ammonia, being alkaline, might promote the hydrolysis reaction.

But I notice that these "use and care" guidelines include a section on dealing with stains from dyes, which advise the user to, er, consult the use and care guidelines. So that's effing helpful, isn't it?🙄  

Before you use any chemical on your countertop, try spilling Benzaldehyde green on something of no value, outside of your house, to see if it reacts with the chemical there..

Edited by Sensei

4 hours ago, Sensei said:

Before you use any chemical on your countertop, try spilling Benzaldehyde green on something of no value, outside of your house, to see if it reacts with the chemical there..

Very sound advice. 

1 minute ago, exchemist said:

Very sound advice. 

I have another one: before you use a chemical on your countertop (or anything else valuable), try it in a hidden area first to see if there's an unpleasant and/or unexpected reaction between the two..