Taikonauts return after 90 days in "Heavenly Palace"

beecee

https://phys.org/news/2021-09-chinese-astronauts-earth-day-mission.html

The launch of Beijing's first crewed mission in nearly five years coincided with the 100th anniversary of the ruling Communist P

The launch of Beijing's first crewed mission in nearly five years coincided with the 100th anniversary of the ruling Communist Party.

Three Chinese astronauts returned to Earth Friday after completing the country's longest-ever crewed mission, the latest landmark in Beijing's drive to become a major space power.

The capsule carrying the trio deployed its parachute and landed in the Gobi desert at 1:34 pm local time (0534 GMT).

"It feels very good to be back!," Tang Hongbo told state broadcaster CCTV after the 90-day mission, a record for China.

"I want to say dad, mom, I'm back! In good health and good spirits!" he said after emerging from the capsule within 30 minutes of landing.

The crew of the Shenzhou-12 spacecraft were in good health, China Manned Space Agency (CMSA) said in a statement.

"The first manned mission to the (Chinese) space station is a complete success," it said.

The taikonauts—as Chinese astronauts are known—will undergo a 14-day quarantine before they can go home "because their immune systems may have weakened after the long mission," Huang Weifen, chief designer of China's manned space project told CCTV

more at link................

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 8:19 AM, mistermack said:

Wouldn't it have been an awful irony, if their craft had been wrecked by some of the space-junk that China created by blowing up a sattelite in  a weapons test a few years ago? 

Wrecked space vessels are much like wrecked sea vessels. Very little hope of surviving, so I find your "awful irony" more awful than ironic.

Does this mean you wouldn't want to help them if that happened? What would that mean for the Outer Space Treaty?

It's in the nature of space junk that it has the capacity to kill astronauts, whether they be Chinese, European or American, so what the Chinese did with that weapons test I thought was outrageous. 

Phi, I chose my words carefully in that post, and I think the way you twisted them was nasty and unwarranted, and quite cowardly, to phrase it as a question. 

There was nothing in my post to indicate what you suggested. That came out of your own head.  To point to irony in no way suggests a wish for it to happen. Nor to satisfaction if the worst happens. If I bought a gun for self protection, and accidentally shot myself with it, I would call that ironic. It doesn't mean I would be pleased about it. 

snip

4 hours ago, mistermack said:

It's in the nature of space junk that it has the capacity to kill astronauts, whether they be Chinese, European or American, so what the Chinese did with that weapons test I thought was outrageous.

Project West Ford, the artificial ring, was lot more outrageous IMO.

In terms of numbers US and Russia have both contributed considerably more junk in general.

Edited by Endy0816

None of it should have happened. But Project West Ford was concieved around 1958. The Chinese blew up the satellite about fifty years after that. The dangers should have been better understood by then. 

I have a suspicion that China's interest in space might be more military than scientific. But then, that might well apply to the US and Russia etc as well, so nothing new there. 

5 hours ago, mistermack said:

Phi, I chose my words carefully in that post, and I think the way you twisted them was nasty and unwarranted, and quite cowardly, to phrase it as a question. 

I was never in the Navy, but my brother was, and I've spent a lot of time on the deep sea. It's nasty, unwarranted, and tasteless to make such references about people trapped in a damaged vessel out in the void. Those folks are far from help and most likely about to die, and the fact that you chose the words so carefully makes it worse, imo. There's nothing ironic about the dangers faced when you're beyond assistance and taking on water/losing O2. Only the awful part is true.

It seems I wasn't the only one to take exception at your carefully chosen words. 

While I completely agree that orbital debris continues to be a huge problem for our offplanet interests, I'm perhaps a bit sensitive when it comes to treating those in deep waters/outer space as humans from Earth first, and ignore nationality in the case of life-threatening emergencies. If we want to maintain the peaceful uses of outer space, we need to respect what it takes to get there and get back safely.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:55 PM, Phi for All said:

It's nasty, unwarranted, and tasteless to make such references about people trapped in a damaged vessel out in the void.

Really, your self-induced outrage is quite childish. David Bowie wrote the classic
song, "Space Oddity" back in 69 with the words "here am I sitting in a tin can, far
from the world, Planet Earth is Blue and there's nothing I can do"
. It's widely
rated as one of his best.
In 2013, Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield, commander of Expedition 35 to the
International Space Station, recorded a video of the song on the space station
which went viral and generated a great deal of media exposure. It was the first
music video ever shot in space. They just changed a few words and gave it a happy
ending. A much more adult approach. 

1 hour ago, mistermack said:

Really, your self-induced outrage is quite childish.

I'm preparing the OP for a thread on defending basic human decency as extreme nationalism clashes with increasing globalization. When it's open, I hope we can continue the conversation that's obviously off-topic here. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.