QFT and photons (split from Who can explain the incompatibilities between GR and QM for me?)

Kartazion

20 hours ago, MigL said:

QFT does.
Quantum particles are simply excitations of the field, above a threshold of action.
Those excitations below the threshold, are virtual particles.

I imagine it must be difficult to represent a massless particle like the photon with this type of field. How does QFT interpret the photon, and if the theory allows it?

In QFT the behavior of electromagnetic fields is described either conventionally by Maxwell's equations or more generally by quantum electrodynamics.

To put it simply, the photon corresponds to an excitation by the electric and magnetic field in the same way as an electron. Am I right?

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Kartazion said:

In QFT the behavior of electromagnetic fields is described either conventionally by Maxwell's equations or more generally by quantum electrodynamics.

To put it simply, the photon corresponds to an excitation by the electric and magnetic field in the same way as an electron. Am I right?

Thanks.

What electric and magnetic field  (for both particles ?) and how do you think this accounts for the interaction of each particle with an electric and or magnetic field ?

6 minutes ago, studiot said:

What electric and magnetic field  (for both particles ?) and how do you think this accounts for the interaction of each particle with an electric and or magnetic field ?

Electromagnetis. One of the four fundamental interactions . In classical electromagnetic Maxwell showed that they were only two aspects of the same set of phenomena.

For the moment, quantum electrodynamics, the aim of which is to reconcile electromagnetism with quantum mechanics, is too complicated because it uses a relativistic Lagrangian formalism. Moreover in this theory, the electric charges interact by exchange of virtual photons.

But does QFT also support other fields such as strong interaction or gravity into the theory?

Thanks studio.