What makes my memory really good?

I don't have a photographic or eidetic memory but I have an extremely good memory for details and information. I can remember the plots of books I read years ago, and dialogue and scenes from movies. I remember things from as far back as 2 years of age with strong clarity. I can even remember obscure conversation topics I had years ago, dreams I had years ago, and even feelings I've had at certain ages. When I say feelings, I mean my perspectives based on my age. How I felt the time I liked a girl, things that seemed bigger or more challenging when I was younger like giving up the bottle or pacifier etc. I also get aggravated when people repeat things as I have remembered what they said. Don't get me wrong; I forget things like everybody else but I was curious as to why my recall is so good. My IQ is only slightly above average and I suck at math. My brother probably has an way above average IQ; he can do physics and fix electronics but his memory is awful. He even says "I don't remember what I had for breakfast today." What is different about our brains? Do I have more neurons? Are certain parts of my brain thicker or bigger?

something you might find interesting,

Genetically speaking, studies have found that certain genes affect the density of dopamine receptors in the brain; dopamine is a neurotransmitter that helps us to recall episodic memories from the past. In the study, those with certain geneactivations enjoyed a higher density of dopamine receptors in the hippocampus, and also had stronger powers of recall as they aged.

https://www.scienceabc.com/humans/why-do-some-people-have-a-better-memory-than-others.html

from the Genetic and Biological Advantages (Nature) part.

Edited by Curious layman

2 minutes ago, Maximum7 said:

I can remember the plots of books I read years ago, and dialogue and scenes from movies. 

All of them, or just the really awesome ones? Humans rely on patterns a LOT, and our memories are geared to take advantage of that.

3 minutes ago, Maximum7 said:

I remember things from as far back as 2 years of age with strong clarity. 

All of them, or just the memorable things? I remember sitting in kindergarten on the floor and the boy next to me showed me he had a pile of pennies under his hands, and he said, "Don't tell my teacher". I can see why that might stick with a four-year old (and why didn't he say "our" teacher?).

9 minutes ago, Maximum7 said:

Don't get me wrong; I forget things like everybody else but I was curious as to why my recall is so good.

I think the key is your interests. We all have a much better memory for the topics that grab our attention. I recall lots of girlfriends who had stuffed animals, but I only remember the stuffed dragon this one girl had. I don't remember what color hair she had (I do remember her name), but I remember that cool dragon.

5 hours ago, Phi for All said:

All of them, or just the really awesome ones? Humans rely on patterns a LOT, and our memories are geared to take advantage of that.

All of them, or just the memorable things? I remember sitting in kindergarten on the floor and the boy next to me showed me he had a pile of pennies under his hands, and he said, "Don't tell my teacher". I can see why that might stick with a four-year old (and why didn't he say "our" teacher?).

I think the key is your interests. We all have a much better memory for the topics that grab our attention. I recall lots of girlfriends who had stuffed animals, but I only remember the stuffed dragon this one girl had. I don't remember what color hair she had (I do remember her name), but I remember that cool dragon.

Well. It’s hard to say. My memory is very strange. I don’t remember every single day but I do remember many specific moments from all parts of my young life (27 years). Sometimes people are amazed at how much I remember. Yet some times it isn’t always good and I suffer from cryptoamnesia when it comes to Sci fi science related to Star Wars. 

The larger point is that you don’t have an accurate baseline or representation of all the things you DON’T remember. What you do have is a preconceived idea that your memory is great coupled with a confirmation bias for any information supporting that perspective.

Maybe your memory is truly impressive and worthy of further study. I really don’t know. But also maybe you’re only listening to the folks on the margins who comment because their own memory abilities are garbage. 

There were times long go when I thought I remembered past experiences so damn accurately. Old friends did not remember things the same way. Some old friends agreed with me on one memory but agreed with another friend on others. Whose memory was better? I'm not so convinced that my great recall is great.

4 hours ago, JayTony said:

There were times long go when I thought I remembered past experiences so damn accurately. Old friends did not remember things the same way. Some old friends agreed with me on one memory but agreed with another friend on others. Whose memory was better? I'm not so convinced that my great recall is great.

Well I did read they everyone remembers things differently, but if all the pieces are their and you can recall it, its probably a real memory.