Erina

Ozone layer hole a pole shift ?

Am I correct in assuming that the South Atlantic anomaly (“Bermuda Triangle”) is part of a series of pole reversals around Earth; whereby it will nullify the magnetic field around its geographical sphere of influence i.e. an ozone layer hole ?

If so, then the CFC ban in place during the 1990s was not the cure, nor the ailment, for an ozone hole, would that be correct ?

I know of the South Atlantic Anomaly (related to the Van Allen Belt) and the Bermuda Triangle (related to paranormal activity or extraterrestrials) as two different things. Can you clarify what you are speaking about?

Well, forget Bermuda Triangle then, I think that I must have conflated the two as they have a similar effect, but yes the Van Allen Belt.

Would you say that the resulting gap in that part of the magnetic field was linked to a hole in the ozone layer? I understand they're different layers, but is there a link?

On 11/6/2020 at 2:26 AM, Erina said:

Am I correct in assuming that the South Atlantic anomaly (“Bermuda Triangle”) is part of a series of pole reversals around Earth; whereby it will nullify the magnetic field around its geographical sphere of influence i.e. an ozone layer hole ?

If so, then the CFC ban in place during the 1990s was not the cure, nor the ailment, for an ozone hole, would that be correct ?

The South Atlantic Anomaly is not a pole reversal. It is a distortion/reduction of the geomagnetic field that might be a step towards a pole reversal, but probably is not . Domingos et al note that  "One of the striking characteristics of the present geomagnetic field is denoted the South Atlantic Anomaly (SAA) where the total field intensity is unusually low and the flux of charged particles, trapped in the inner Van Allen radiation belts, is maximum."

However the ozone hole has nothing to do with the van Allen Belts or the SAA. Its causes are discussed in this wikipedia article. The presence of the holes at the poles is related to extended sunlight hours in hemisphere summers, wind patterns, low temperatures, etc. The ozone hole arose largely because of CFCs. The ban on these is allowing the ozone levels return towards normal. It will take till near the end of the century before these levels recover to those present before CFC use.