How to dilute squaric acid 98% to 2% solution

viralfrog

Hi,

I would like to ask for some advice how to dilute squaric acid (C4H2O4) from a 98% to a 2% solution. To be precise my question is what can I use as an ingredient to dilute it down without it separating once constituted? For example I have tried mixing it with coconut oil, but it seems to separate from it.

The acid has good soloubility in water. About 20 g/l at 20°C.

But in oil it is almost not solouble.

I dont know what is the problem. To dilute a solution   from 98% to 2% is normal calculation method like cross rule and percentage calculation.

To mix it with oils you need surfactants like soap. 

Edited by chenbeier

10 hours ago, chenbeier said:

The acid has good soloubility in water. About 20 g/l at 20°C.

But in oil it is almost not solouble.

I dont know what is the problem. To dilute a solution   from 98% to 2% is normal calculation method like cross rule and percentage calculation.

To mix it with oils you need surfactants like soap. 

Thanks for the reply. Calculations are not a problem. I forgot to mention I want to make it into a topical solution that can be applied onto the skin. Therefore water is not suitable, as it needs to have a thicker structure and the solution must contain non-toxic ingredients.