The world has changed...

dimreepr

1 hour ago, Eiot said:

Canadians are the most deceitful lousy phony nation. Not only they don't talk about aboriginal genocide ,they have stopped talking about covid virus. Whole Montreal nord is infected now. Mother is infected-stupid workaholic fool. She simply sits home and does nothing. Canada has shittiest healthcare. And no bloggers to talk about it on youtube-except immigrant freaks talk about "travel".

I'm guessing you have an agenda, aye...

Is that why nearly half of Americans would rather live here ?
( OK, maybe not for the weather )

By the way, most of our aboriginals are still around; they were mostly exterminated in mass genocides of the 1800s, in the US. 
And if they so choose, they can take advantage of every opportunity non-aboriginal Canadians have.
It's hard to accommodate people who choose their 'own' way of life, but demand it be exactly the same as everyone else's.
It's very hard when aboriginals demand self-governance as a 'separate' nation, but also want support, infrastructure, housing, etc. from the rest.
It's even harder when they demand their own separate justice system and penal code, then complain about the lawlessness.
It's most difficult when they flout the law, partake in illegal gun sales ( funny how aboriginals are allowed semi-automatic assault rifles, but the rest of us are not ), illegal gambling, cigarette, booze and gasoline sales, and moan about lack of rights.
Need I go on ?

Last I checked our death rate in Canada is much lower than the US, and the standard treatment for Covid-19 is self-isolation unless hospitalization is NEEDED.
That means sitting at home doing nothing; Or would you rather you mother went out shopping, to infect even more people ?
And considering what your health care cost you, it is damn fine system.
The US isn't too far from Montreal. Check into an American hospital. See if you get better treatment. And bring you life savings with you.

This is the Science Forums DISCUSSION site, not the RANT site.
And to paraphrase Americans in the 60s, "Canada, take it or leave it".
 (my apologies to the rest of the membership for the counter-rant )

Edited by MigL

12 hours ago, MigL said:

It's hard to accommodate people who choose their 'own' way of life, but demand it be exactly the same as everyone else's.
It's very hard when aboriginals demand self-governance as a 'separate' nation, but also want support, infrastructure, housing, etc. from the rest.
It's even harder when they demand their own separate justice system and penal code, then complain about the lawlessness.
It's most difficult when they flout the law, partake in illegal gun sales ( funny how aboriginals are allowed semi-automatic assault rifles, but the rest of us are not ), illegal gambling, cigarette, booze and gasoline sales, and moan about lack of rights.
Need I go on ?

I am neither Canadian nor American, so this is an outsider’s perspective.
I think the wish of culturally separate groups to be self-governing is understandable and bona-fide, since it is based on the hope of preserving said culture, and living in accordance with it. But with every right comes a responsibility, and the responsibility here would be to ensure that the culture actually is being preserved in its original form, and only the members of these groups themselves can do this. This is were many indigenous nations fall down, because they have allowed mainstream culture with all its vices to infiltrate and dilute their own - not intentionally of course, but through negligence. To take Canadian First Nations as an example - Western-styles houses, guns, gambling, cigarettes, booze, gasoline etc etc were never part of their way of life, until they allowed these things to seep in from the outside and undermine their own traditions. If they still lived without any of those things, according to their own traditional ways, there would be no problem; they could self-govern, yet still be part of Canada. Yet now they are neither truly First Nations, nor are they truly Canadian, culturally speaking. Obviously this leads to the conflicts you have mentioned. The same is true for aboriginals in other parts of the world.

The above does not come from a place of blame, I just think it is a very difficult issue without straightforward answers. If you look globally, the aboriginal cultures that fare best are those that limit outside influences, even though they exist within a different mainstream culture. Perhaps the Amish people would be a good example here; there are issues with that as well of course, but like I said, there aren’t any easy answers.

Ok, back to the topic. As it pertains to aboriginals, they can't help it if someone builds a road on their land and since it's there, why shouldn't they make use of it?

It's a useful analogue though, modern infrastructure is here and it makes it easier to grow and distribute food, so let's use it to feed the hungry.

I'm not suggesting we regress "to the good old days", I'm suggesting we evolve past our collective addiction to unnecessary stuff, in order to be better than the people we need to survive; if it wasn't so tragic it would be laughable, that people who hold up the pillars of society are being tickled by those who can't support them selves.

Edited by dimreepr