Sign in to follow this  
ScienceNostalgia101

Physics of video games

I'm not sure whether this belongs in the physics of movies thread or not, but I figure I should have a spearate thread for video games given the interactive nature of the medium.

In one part of Kaizo Mario 3, Mario is temporarily in projectile motion, until his trajectory crosses paths with a waterfall. At this point, the viscosity of his surroundings is no longer negligible, and therefore, he can push his feet downward against the water to propel himself upward.

I assume it's exaggerated, and that one couldn't possible propel oneself to THAT extent in real life. But at the same time, this leaves me wondering whether it's possible to "slightly" propel oneself this way, or not at all because it violates conservation of momentum. I know in horizontal motion, one can swim by pushing the water back and therefore propelling oneself forward; it's a matter of encountering less water resistance when putting your hands in front of you than when pushing the water behind you. Could the same thing work vertically? Does it depend on whether one positions oneself for it before entering the waterfall or after?

Edited by ScienceNostalgia101

Human could not swim upwards, against the waterfall. The body is too weak for such a task. But some fishes do it at least once in their lives e.g. salmon must return from the sea to the river in which it was born. And they must to swim upstream waterfalls. Search net for keywords salmon and waterfall for videos how they do it.

Edited by Sensei