Automation

TheLuke

I have always been interested in technology and is one of the reasons I am studying computer science as my major. I believed that technology mostly betters our society and species but, In recent years, I have seen the impact of automation, and I am wondering this community's thoughts on it? 

Well I could send you a letter in reply, through the postal system, but that would probably take about a week to get to you.
I much prefer the 'automated' reply system offered by computers/internet/forum software.
Don't you ?

Automation will surely result in job loss, more as it gets better. 
New jobs will get created to support the automation too, but likely not as many as are surprised. 
Smaller and more consolidated groups will own all of the software and all of the robots. 
Those smaller groups will continue amassing wealth while workers continue losing income and their means of survival.

The open question is if we let those who own the robots keep all the wealth or if we instead help them share it to minimize mass starvation and global hardship. 

You exist just because of automation of work on farms.. In older times, just 150 years ago, significant majority of population worked on farms delivering food for the rest working in other industries. There was no other option. Things significantly changed after discovery of artificial fertellizers and invention of agricultural vehicles at the beginning of XX century which accelerated growth and harvest of plants. Without them population of the world would be starving (having to be smaller).

See North Korea. They starve because have not enough fuel and not enough modern vehicles. Majority of farmers work with bare hands (low efficiency per capita).

Edited by Sensei

6 hours ago, TheLuke said:

iNow  I predict that the proletariat class will be all but erased, which if a new economic modal emerges or a new technology(probably in blockchain), it may not be a bad thing. What do you think?

I think you need to elaborate on what “erased” means

People will likely continue to move into art, science and service positions. Any mentally unengaging work should be entirely eliminated.

Do agree need to ensure bennefits are shared equally. Ideally a quasi post scarcity utopia is created. People could then work for more(or not) as they wish.