Question for anyone that has/had a US security clearance

random_soldier1337

What is the point of withdrawing from a check while receiving clearance if one has committed a heinous crime?

From what I have discussed with some friends, once someone is denied, they are blacklisted from clearances. Someone in such a situation, would they have anything to lose whether they withdrew or not? Just morbidly curious.

From the discussions I have had with friends thus far, it sounds like there is nothing to lose. Can't (presumably) clear the check, can't apply for the job. Apply and let the authorities decide. If you don't get it, the situation remains the same as when you couldn't apply. The problem comes in the fact that if there is or isn't a time limit on someone being able to speak of said crime, assuming they are truthful. Even if they did their time, reformed and it was all at least a decade ago, would there still be some crime that is an obvious automatic blacklist regardless of time and reformations?

1 hour ago, random_soldier1337 said:

From the discussions I have had with friends thus far, it sounds like there is nothing to lose. Can't (presumably) clear the check, can't apply for the job. Apply and let the authorities decide. If you don't get it, the situation remains the same as when you couldn't apply. The problem comes in the fact that if there is or isn't a time limit on someone being able to speak of said crime, assuming they are truthful. Even if they did their time, reformed and it was all at least a decade ago, would there still be some crime that is an obvious automatic blacklist regardless of time and reformations?

I would think anything money related. Possibly for prostitution related offenses as well.

I do recall a lot of discussion surrounding money. It's been a bit though. I think the issue is not only with crime but general incapability of handling money, especially if someone is in debt. I think it was something along the lines of they would be easy to manipulate because of their life style and how easy it would be to play them for their lust of currency. Just ask them for some private info while offering like a $100,000 and they'll let it all out.

Not sure about the rest.

22 minutes ago, random_soldier1337 said:

Just ask them for some private info while offering like a $100,000 and they'll let it all out.

..people reveal the all their private info for nothing these days on social networks..

Have nude photos and videos? Let's send them to the cloud!

People don't even understand how synchronization between smartphone and computer works (i.e. if it's not a direct connection between two devices, through a cable, it goes through public available servers, smartphone sends data to the cloud, and computer reads them from the cloud back, and vice versa). Which is vulnerable for interception.

People who were born after 1990, now have ~30. They will want to be politicians and have direct influence on the country. With the all these years on social medias, with secrets recorded by cameras, and uploaded (by mistake or ignorance), they are easy targets to be "directed", from behind..

I've just generally taken it as not a good idea to store anything you don't want getting out on an electronic device. Not an easy task but hopefully some things may be mitigated.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if it became knowledge to me somewhere along the way as to how hard it is to find people who can handle a clearance, at least based on the information by Sensei.

19 hours ago, random_soldier1337 said:

I do recall a lot of discussion surrounding money. It's been a bit though. I think the issue is not only with crime but general incapability of handling money, especially if someone is in debt. I think it was something along the lines of they would be easy to manipulate because of their life style and how easy it would be to play them for their lust of currency. Just ask them for some private info while offering like a $100,000 and they'll let it all out.

Not sure about the rest.

Yeah they check credit history and they probably go more in-depth depending on the clearance level. Anything that can be used to possibly manipulate someone is of concern.