Regional Dialect / Slang

Royston

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People around here are very water oriented, so someone who owns a sailboat is a "ragbagger" and someone who owns a powerboat is a "stinkpotter". A farmer is a "dirtbuster" or a "clodhopper".

Gang-bang means group sex.

It's funny that slang means radically different things across the Atlantic.

We say, "I'm stuffed" after we've eaten too much - I gather in England and Australia it means to be pregnant.

I also understand that you "knock someone up", if you visit someone and knock on their door - here it means to get someone pregnant.

My all time favorite is "Keep your pecker up." My cousin, who is a clone for Hyancinthe in "Keeping Up Appearances" told me to do that when my husband died. Apparently in England it means to keep your chin up. In the states a "pecker" is a strictly male appendage located below the waist.

I told my cousin, "Sheesh Liz, I would if I had one."

"Bumming" in the UK is often a gay thing, in the US it means to "ask for/scrounge"

a "Fag" in the uk is a cigarette, in the US it`s a Gay male.

the US says "Elevator" we in the UK say "Lift".

so basicly if you`re Trans-Atlantic, and get caught bumming a fag in a lift, you`ll inevitably get strange looks from those in the lobby!

I'm not sure "wigger" is a good synonym for "chav". In the US (where I believe that term was coined), the word means "white n*gger". Which really means a white (usually male) person who dresses like a ghetto-type rapper.

Guess I should of worked that one out...there's a famous BBC radio DJ who fits that description...Tim Westwood... I have several words for him, unfortunately there are minors on this forum.

"Bumming" in the UK is often a gay thing' date=' in the US it means to "ask for/scrounge"

a "Fag" in the uk is a cigarette, in the US it`s a Gay male.

the US says "Elevator" we in the UK say "Lift".

so basicly if you`re Trans-Atlantic, and get caught bumming a fag in a lift, you`ll inevitably get strange looks from those in the lobby![/quote']

LOL...You can also 'ponce' a fag in the UK...you can also call someone a 'ponce'. A man who spends a lot of time on his appearance.

No wonder tourists have a hard time grasping the english language.

any urban area in the US:

tight=good

playa= guy or girl with a lot of women or men

hood= neighbhorhood you grew up in; in some more rual regions it means bad part of the city

bling=shiny jewelry

fo shizzle= for sure

getting crump= feelin good or enjoyin yourself

Dope=phat=really good

And on a side note most people i know who live in da hood love that fly azz british accent, can't wait to holla at a shorty wit one :cool:

are chavs just characterized by the way they dress or is the aggression towards people passing by part of it too? if so' date=' thugs or gang bangers is probably the closest in america.[/quote']

I'm not sure the gang bangers in US would like to have a party with the gang bangers in the UK.

Chav's are characterized by their dress...white caps / or burberry caps, hoodies (usually up with peak of the cap sticking out) cheap tracksuit bottoms tucked into their socks ??? They hang out in massive groups and yes during a survey they found people are more scared of chav's than a terroist attack in the UK - so they are notorious for attacking people (I'm sure most of them are just mislead and ignorant). They usually fall in the 12 to 18 years age group.

They recently had a ban in shopping centres for anyone wearing a hoodie in the UK !

Defining chavs is difficult. They tend to wear Reebok or various other brands of sports-bottoms (sweat-pants? I'm sorry' date=' I couldnt translate here), although (fake) Burberry is also fairly common. The defining drink is probably White Lightning (or various other white ciders). The attitude is also essential. Crotch-grabbing, impregnating young girlfriends, and skipping school are popular pass-times. Music of choice would be 50 and the Crazy Frog (though I could be wrong on the 50 part, he's probably chav-parent material by now). As far as I'm aware, the wigger is probably the closest comparison that can be made, as honour doesnt seem to play as large a role in chav gangs as in gang-gangs.[/quote']

That's a much more concise description of a chav...I forgot about the teenage pregnancy problem..they have been reffered to as English white trash before...with a hint of wigger. (or whatever the less ignorant term is!)

any urban area in the US:

tight=good

playa= guy or girl with a lot of women or men

hood= neighbhorhood you grew up in; in some more rual regions it means bad part of the city

bling=shiny jewelry

fo shizzle= for sure

getting crump= feelin good or enjoyin yourself

Dope=phat=really good

tight= tight fisted also know as stingy, not willing to part with money

playa= the same thing in the UK

hood= erm hood, but we're well aware of the U.S meaning

bling= generally means the same thing...if someone is bling they are usually wealthy but in an urban sense...lots of jewellery, car souped up with spoilers and a noisy exhaust...and a 'phat' sound system.

Not sure about the other two.

bling= generally means the same thing...if someone is bling they are usually wealthy but in an urban sense...lots of jewellery' date=' car souped up with spoilers and a noisy exhaust...and a 'phat' sound system.[/quote']

I can't believe I forgot that part! The car is an essential status symbol in chav culture. Adding spoilers and alloys, and drilling holes in your exhaust to give it a meatier sound are common practice, and the bane of peace-loving urbanites everywhere.

I refer you to Rupert the Chav.

And Timmy Westwood? "This is Westwood giving it to you large keeping it real in the house Baby Boy! BOOOM!!!" :mad:

We say' date=' "I'm stuffed" after we've eaten too much - I gather in England and Australia it means to be pregnant.

I also understand that you "knock someone up", if you visit someone and knock on their door - here it means to get someone pregnant.

I can't vouch for Oz, but 'I'm stuffed' in the UK means either eating too much, or something has gone wrong...'you've really stuffed that one up'. It doesn't mean being pregnant...'one in the oven', 'up the duff ' are popular and for 'that time of the month'...'on the blob', 'got the painters in' are phrases used for a woman on her period. Please exscuse the crudeness of these sayings.

I find it funny when people say the english language is so refined...I think it's going the other way for the majority of the population.

My cousin sent me a book called "The Reading Club" in it "aga" keeps coming up- I gather it is a kitchen appliance - a stove or range maybe?

There was also reference to Nutella - what the heck is that?

My cousin sent me a book called "The Reading Club" in it "aga" keeps coming up- I gather it is a kitchen appliance - a stove or range maybe?

There was also reference to Nutella - what the heck is that?

context tends to be helpful, especially if its slang, or if the author is trying to suggest an accent.

Aga's are a type (brand?) of range/stove/hob. I believe traditionally coal powered (our one was), but I've seen an oil-fired one (my grandparents). And Mmmmmmm, Nutella. Much better than standard chocolate spreads :D

Apparently nothing cooks quite like them. I recall some very nice roasts, but some less than great jacket potatoes (probably the potatoes, the skins came up very hard). Also, you've got to be very careful with them. We moved into a house with one and it hadn't been cleaned in who-knows-how-long. My family started complaining of headaches, drowsiness, nausea, etc. They bought a CO testing patch which was designed to provide a long term alarm ("If after a few weeks this patch turns black, worry"), and it was black within 2 hours of it being opened.

Ollie