so I have to write an essay on wave particle duality.

peterwlocke

So for my 8th-grade class, I have to write a paper on wave-particle duality and I am looking for some good material to improve it and my understanding. (now Physics aren't my fave but I am at a different place then the rest of my class on science(I prefer genetics tho)

Sincerely, 

me

On 1/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, peterwlocke said:

So for my 8th-grade class, I have to write a paper on wave-particle duality and I am looking for some good material to improve it and my understanding. (now Physics aren't my fave but I am at a different place then the rest of my class on science(I prefer genetics tho)

Quite advanced for an 8th grader. Anyways, considering you're advanced, I'm sure you'll have relatively little trouble understanding this video by PBS Spacetime. It's a bit more complicated than the initial two videos, but it definitely explains it better and goes further into detail, which is absolutely crucial to writing any good essay(as I'm sure you know.)

If you have any questions about it, just let me know. Glad to help, and I hope you have a nice long stay here at Science Forums.

I'm not sure those are concepts that are understood too well at the gr. 8 level.
What exactly is your understanding of wave-particle duality ?

Are you merely referring to historical differences of opinion between the Newtonian corpuscular theory and Hook/Huygens wave theory ?
IIRC Newton explained the straight line trajectories of light in terms of particles, and bending into a denser medium ( refraction ) as an array of particles encountering more resistance on the narrow angle side.
Hook and Huygens explained refraction as a wave phenomenon ( with Fresnel ), and later, Young's interference and diffraction.

At least that's what I remember from gr.8 and gr.9.

Edited by MigL

hi, MigL(and others),

I Usually B.S. my way through the things I don't know until I can gain a better understanding. but I am having a fun time learning. but to what I am trying to do is give a basic explanation of what wave-particle duality is/define photon/ explain that a photon has relativistic mass(i.e. energy) and not physical mass.

P.S. thanks for the videos and the PBS one remind me of what my dad uses to teach me stuff(haven't paid much attention to it though cause idk.)

P.P.S wow lots of response I am flattered ty.