The Next Windows

herme3

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it "standby" or actually "hibernate" they're hoping to recover from in 2 seconds? I know that's what Klaynos' quote said (standby) but I read on various blogs that it was actually supposed to be "hibernate". I guess we'll have to wait and see.

you may need a new fan for that computer.

The fan seems to be working fine. All the warm air is being taken out of the computer. That computer has always made the room hot.

But still, you really shouldn't keep it on your lap for long.

That news article is crazy. The heat from a laptop can't be as bad as taking a warm bath. People have been taking warm baths for years, and never had any problems.

I was going to wait to buy my laptop, so i wouldnt have to upgrade to "vista". I then found it to be in the middle of next year so i siad screw it, im notr waiting that long when i have the money. SO i bought my laptop and it will ship (dell) aug 1st. Anytway, how much wil vista cost new? like 300$? Also, my laptop is pretty loaded (1900$) so it should run vista fine/ It has a 1.8gh pentium dothan M, 1 gig ram, SXGA 14 inch screen with 64mb video (the one thing im worried about, but 64 mb isnt bad for a laptop) DVD burner (with double layer) and an 80gb HD. 2915 intel pro wireless, and internal bluetooth.

Im curios as to what vista wil be like, I mean, xp seems to have been around forever now.

Last night i was looking at linux stuff, and found "linspire". Seems kinda like xp (from what i can see in the screen shots and tutorial things). I would definetly try it but it cost 60$ so whatever.

I was going to wait to buy my laptop' date=' so i wouldnt have to upgrade to "vista". I then found it to be in the middle of next year so i siad screw it, im notr waiting that long when i have the money. SO i bought my laptop and it will ship (dell) aug 1st. Anytway, how much wil vista cost new? like 300$? Also, my laptop is pretty loaded (1900$) so it should run vista fine/ It has a 1.8gh pentium dothan M, 1 gig ram, SXGA 14 inch screen with 64mb video (the one thing im worried about, but 64 mb isnt bad for a laptop) DVD burner (with double layer) and an 80gb HD. 2915 intel pro wireless, and internal bluetooth.

Im curios as to what vista wil be like, I mean, xp seems to have been around forever now.

Last night i was looking at linux stuff, and found "linspire". Seems kinda like xp (from what i can see in the screen shots and tutorial things). I would definetly try it but it cost 60$ so whatever.[/quote']

That is a good computer. It is actually almost exactly like mine. I haven't found any programs that won't run quickly on my computer. I can't imagine you having any trouble running Vista. Microsoft probably can't make Vista too high-tech because there are a lot of people out there that bought cheap Celeron computers. Many of those can't even run xp correctly!

I wouldn't worry about Linux. Lots of people say that Linux is better than Windows. My belief is that their computers are not capable of running Windows correctly. Since you are getting a good computer, I recommend that you stay with Windows. I'm sure that Vista will be a great operating system.

That is a good computer. It is actually almost exactly like mine. I haven't found any programs that won't run quickly on my computer. I can't imagine you having any trouble running Vista. Microsoft probably can't make Vista too high-tech because there are a lot of people out there that bought cheap Celeron computers. Many of those can't even run xp correctly!

I wouldn't worry about Linux. Lots of people say that Linux is better than Windows. My belief is that their computers are not capable of running Windows correctly. Since you are getting a good computer' date=' I recommend that you stay with Windows. I'm sure that Vista will be a great operating system.[/quote']

I belive you will be able to run a lower graphics version of vista, sure someone who's used longhorn told me that.

Please quit you ill informed linux lies, it's getting old. I duelboot with Ubuntu and winXP my computer is EASILY capable of running XP but I choose not to. If you want to know more this is not the place chat to me on the sfn chatroom.

(sorry this is off topic) Linspire is very windowsesk, (formaly know as lindows) I wouldn't use it though. Personal choice with kde and gnome the 2 biggest gui's for X you can get winXP looking themes for.

tried ubutu for bleh... i will stick to windows for now. problem with linux is its so not noob friendly, it was probably not meant to be that way.

But yeah. wtf is with Vista. such a crappy name. the screenshots of longhorn looked quite good though. I hope vista is not just a cosmetic upgrade over xp.

That news article is crazy. The heat from a laptop can't be as bad as taking a warm bath. People have been taking warm baths for years' date=' and never had any problems.[/quote']

My Dell Inspiron 8500 is easily capable of rendering a serious burn on bare skin. Easily.

Some powerbooks or ibooks I forget which had a warning on them about putting on laps and stuff, and there where incidents of people placing them near bits of paper and getting so hot they set the paper alight! There are many cases of people being burnt by notebooks over the years...

But yeah. wtf is with Vista. such a crappy name. the screenshots of longhorn looked quite good though. I hope vista is not just a cosmetic upgrade over xp.

I think Vista is a good name. It is creative. Longhorn just sounded retarded. From what I've heard, Vista is going to be a lot different than xp.

My Dell Inspiron 8500 is easily capable of rendering a serious burn on bare skin. Easily.

What type of processor does it have? Mine is a Compaq Presario X1000 with a Pentium M processor. It isn't anywhere near being able to burn anyone. The fan doesn't even come on unless I'm running an application that require a lot of processing. For example, a virus scanner or 3D game.

ya'll should do linux, thats what the cool people are doing. I installed linux in my inspiron 1150 in a dual boot with windows. It works *almost* perfectly.

Everyone that I consider cool (Bill Gates :D ) uses Windows.

Also, every person that I know in real life uses Windows. The only people that I know use Linux are all people in forums and chat rooms. Many of those people are always complaining because they can't get their programs to work with Linux.

I think Vista is a good name. It is creative. Longhorn just sounded retarded. From what I've heard, Vista is going to be a lot different than xp.

The college I attend hates longhorns (competing school's mascot), so that'll make whoever buys OS's happy.

and yeah... linux likes to surprise you sometimes, but most of the time is the user's fault; whereas windows, well, sometimes feels like crashin'.

Why does every thread have to turn into a "linux versus Windows" thread? This is about the next version of Windows, fair enough, mention how Linux already has some features and its nice to see them in Windows, mention how youd like to see other features in it, but please for sanity's sake, no more "Linux is cool" or "Windows is the only viable OS" or "I can't understand why someone would want to use Linux" or "Windoze blows" etc.

/me begs

Oh God, I'm not having this thread turning into another "OMG LINUX IS TEH ROXOR!!!!" "NO IT AER NOT!"&£*!"£" type-debate. Please don't let it get that way or I'm just going to close it.

Well that's an interesting point about the sameness of modern operating systems. I think they're a long way from "perfection" though.

One of the interesting things about Vista is that Avalon, and later the 3-D desktop engine (whatever that's called, I forget), could radically change things again. That could be very interesting.

"Vista" sounds like one of those stupid inspirational words you see on posters.

What type of processor does it have? Mine is a Compaq Presario X1000 with a Pentium M processor. It isn't anywhere near being able to burn anyone. The fan doesn't even come on unless I'm running an application that require a lot of processing. For example, a virus scanner or 3D game.

All Inspirons are either Pentium M or Celeron M. Mine is a Pentium.

Everyone that I consider cool (Bill Gates :D ) uses Windows.

Also, every person that I know in real life uses Windows. The only people that I know use Linux are all people in forums and chat rooms. Many of those people are always complaining because they can't get their programs to work with Linux.

The reason they're complaining is because most people design their programs specifically for Winblows. Of course, for every Windows software there's typically a (free) Linux equivalent, so that's pretty nice.

For example, I had to pay $100+ for Microsoft Office, but OpenOffice has the same features for FREE. You can get the GIMP for free, instead of Photoshop. Etc. etc.

All Inspirons are either Pentium M or Celeron M. Mine is a Pentium.

Well they are now, but that wasn't yet the case when I bought mine. My 8500 has a Pentium 4 Mobile running at 2.4 ghz. From what I understand, the Pentium Ms are much better, even through they run at slower clock rates.

But Herme's question was irrelevent -- processors are nowhere near being the primary heat source in a typical laptop. (Except perhaps the ones with desktop processors.) Most of the heat comes from the video card and/or the hard drive.