The Next Windows

herme3

It has been officially been announced. The next version of Windows will be called Windows Vista. It will be released in 2006.

Microsoft hasn't officially said too much about it yet, but I know a few things about it. First, the GUI will be very high-tech. You are going to need a good graphics card to run the next Windows. A major feature will be the new type of icons. The icons will actually show a preview of the entire document, or picture. It will be much more than the Windows XP thumbnails.

It will also feature IE7. Not too much is known about IE7, but I heard it will have tabbed browsing.

Here is a little more technical information from Microsoft:

Indigo is the codename for Microsoft's unified programming model for building connected systems. It extends the .NET Framework 2.0 with additional APIs for building secure' date=' reliable, transacted Web services that interoperate with non-Microsoft platforms and integrate with existing investments. By combining the functionality of existing Microsoft distributed application technologies (ASMX, .NET Remoting, .NET Enterprise Services, Web Services Enhancements, and System.Messaging), Indigo delivers a single development framework that improves developer productivity and reduces organizations' time to market.

Avalon is the code name for Microsoft's unified presentation subsystem for Windows. It consists of a display engine and a managed-code framework. Avalon unifies how Windows creates, displays, and manipulates documents, media, and user interface. This enables developers and designers to create visually stunning, differentiated user experiences that improve customer connection. When delivered, Avalon will become Microsoft's strategic user interface (UI) technology.[/quote']

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been officially been announced. The next version of Windows will be called Windows Vista. It will be released in 2006.

Microsoft hasn't officially said too much about it yet' date=' but I know a few things about it. First, the GUI will be very high-tech. You are going to need a good graphics card to run the next Windows. A major feature will be the new type of icons. The icons will actually show a preview of the entire document, or picture. It will be much more than the Windows XP thumbnails.

It will also feature IE7. Not too much is known about IE7, but I heard it will have tabbed browsing.

Here is a little more technical information from Microsoft:[/quote']

Yeay good for windows they are moving up to date :D always a good thing.

But just to say avalon and indigo will be back ported to winXP, and no winfs :( I can see no reason for upgrading. They havn't even done much for 64bit users although it is better than winxp 64 in that reguard :(

It is a shame this will not contain all they originally promissed, still and only file system :( But a more modern look which will be nice not enough for me to upgrade though.

and it will cost 8 times as much as XP with no hope of a free update from XP to the new version while you can have tabbed browsing for free.

edit:

It has been officially been announced. The next version of Windows will be called Windows Vista.

i thought it was called MSWinPOS

It used to be Windows Longhorn?

and it will cost 8 times as much as XP with no hope of a free update from XP to the new version while you can have tabbed browsing for free.
Yeah, I head that you're going to have to pay fees to be able to run Windows update. It's really a shame.
Microsoft sucks.

Want to know why?

Because *nix said so. AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE.

Not again...Please, goto the forum labled "Linux" if you want to debate. The OP is obviously a discusion about the Windows Vista release of 2006.

This is a thread about the next version of Windows, and I expect to see some enforcement and fairness in moderating this thread. MS-bashing should not be any more acceptable than Linux-bashing, and this is a reasonably important subject for a reasonably professional discusion. As such, I'd like to see yourdadonapogos and JPQuiceno barred from posting in this thread, and herme3 if he insists on using this thread to bash Linux. 'Nuff said.

Yeay good for windows they are moving up to date :D always a good thing.

But just to say avalon and indigo will be back ported to winXP' date=' and no winfs :( I can see no reason for upgrading. They havn't even done much for 64bit users although it is better than winxp 64 in that reguard :(

It is a shame this will not contain all they originally promissed, still and only file system :( But a more modern look which will be nice not enough for me to upgrade though.[/quote']

Yah I'm pretty disappointed in the leave-outs as well. I wonder if there will be sufficient reason to upgrade, and I think that's a very good question at this point.

I seem to vaguely recall you asking in another thread if there would be any reason to upgrade aside from Avalon and Indigo (which is also a very interesting question). These were some bullet points that were circulating the Internet the other day:

Bleh, well I can't find it now, but it was basically a list that included about five items, such as "boots in 30 seconds" and "return from hibernate in 10 seconds", for example. Those were the ones that most stuck in my mind.

I think we'll just have to wait and see. I didn't think there'd be any reason to upgrade from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP, but there turned out to be plenty of reasons. Hindsight is 20/20.

Whilst we're on the issue of the name:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/25/vista_trademark_dispute/

Vista is already a trademark of another company, who ironically sell corporate software. I think they stand a pretty good chance of winning some kind of court case against MS because of the obvious confusion that will arise with the different names. Any thoughts?

For the past several years, Microsoft has been promising that Longhorn would deliver some substantial security, reliability and performance improvements. But until the worldwide partner conference in Minneapolis in mid-July, company officials had not quantified the benefits that Longhorn — the version of the Windows client operating system, due in 2006 — would deliver. Amy Stephan, a senior product manager with the Windows client unit, outlined some of the various Longhorn "fundamentals," including systems management and deployment features, which Microsoft is readying. Stephan told conference attendees that Longhorn will:

* Launch applications 15 percent faster than Windows XP does.

* Boot PCs 50 percent faster than they boot currently and will allow PCs to resume from standby in two seconds.

* Allow users to patch systems with 50 percent fewer reboots required.

* Reduce the number of system images required by 50 percent.

* Enable companies to migrate users 75 percent faster than they can with existing versions of Windows.

That's the list, thanks Klaynos. I bow to the superior blogosearcher. :)

Yeah, not really enough to warrant upgrading, but I would like to have some of that stuff right now, which kinda suggests I'll be upgrading. I get everything from MS for free as a Partner/OEM/Dev so I'm sure I'll upgrade on the bleeding edge as usual, but of course the much more important question is whether typical users will see the need for it.

By the way, the issue of boot time is more important now. Why? Because power consumption is through the ROOF on these newer computers. It's not unusual for a home computer to blast through $150-300/year in power costs. The old glory days of throwing your extra CPU cycles to the search for extra-terrestrials is sadly in our past.

MS haven't really said a lot about how they're going to do the backporting of features. I guess things like winfs will be released in service packs, but god only know how long we'll have to wait for them.

Whilst we're on the issue of the name:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/25/vista_trademark_dispute/

Vista is already a trademark of another company' date=' who ironically sell corporate software. I think they stand a pretty good chance of winning some kind of court case against MS because of the obvious confusion that will arise with the different names. Any thoughts?[/quote']

Well seen as though microsoft file a law suit with someone if a product even sounds the slightest bit like microsoft or windows, i hope they do loose the name. As primarily a linux user (except for school), id probably install it and have a play around as its good to know the ins and outs of an operating system - even if you dont plan on using it.

And the funny part is, apparently this company is right down the road in Redmond, Washington! Go figure. Surely too small fry for them to want to put the guy out of business deliberately, but maybe it's one of those cases of subliminal effects. (hehe)

That'll be settled, though. Microsoft has billions in cash and no debt. They'll just make it go away.

On the subject of WinFS, I think it will be interesting to follow this tech and see where it goes. Prior to Windows 2000 the tech of "directory services" (which at the time was only really found in Novel Netware, and the odd Banyan Vines installation here and there) was considered more or less an oddball concept, and showed little hope of widespread acceptance. Now it's quite common and an integral part of many business network environments.

Clearly MS is trying the same approach here with file systems. From a science point of view, it makes sense -- the advantages of transactional database management applied to a file system (if only it can stand the processing overhead and dependency on computer control). But one of the interesting things about it is that it also makes sense from a marketing point of view. Will it result in more copies of Windows being sold?

...will allow PCs to resume from standby in two seconds.

Mine already does that. I've never actually timed it, but it seems to resume instantly.

By the way, the issue of boot time is more important now. Why? Because power consumption is through the ROOF on these newer computers. It's not unusual for a home computer to blast through $150-300/year in power costs. The old glory days of throwing your extra CPU cycles to the search for extra-terrestrials is sadly in our past.

That really isn't too bad if you compare it to other products. The average heat pump, hot water heater, vacuum cleaner, clothes dryer, and dishwasher use more electricity than the average computer. I have a new computer that uses 1.6 amps and 65 W. That also includes the monitor, speakers, etc. It is very fast, and it also has a good ATI Radeon graphics card. I think that is good power consumption.

Mine already does that. I've never actually timed it' date=' but it seems to resume instantly.

That really isn't too bad if you compare it to other products. The average heat pump, hot water heater, vacuum cleaner, clothes dryer, and dishwasher use more electricity than the average computer. I have a new computer that uses 1.6 amps and 65 W. That also includes the monitor, speakers, etc. It is very fast, and it also has a good ATI Radeon graphics card. I think that is good power consumption.[/quote']

Yeah, I was just posting a list of bullet points given to me by a friend :)

Is that a tft monitor or crt?

That really isn't too bad if you compare it to other products. The average heat pump, hot water heater, vacuum cleaner, clothes dryer, and dishwasher use more electricity than the average computer. I have a new computer that uses 1.6 amps and 65 W. That also includes the monitor, speakers, etc. It is very fast, and it also has a good ATI Radeon graphics card. I think that is good power consumption.

Yes indeed. However, if you haven't noticed, computers put out a LOT of heat (just try feeling the bottom of a laptop after a few hours) and that is wasted energy. Besides, $100-300 isn't anything to be sneezed at.

Is that a tft monitor or crt?

It is a tft monitor. It is a laptop, so everything is connected.

Yes indeed. However, if you haven't noticed, computers put out a LOT of heat (just try feeling the bottom of a laptop after a few hours) and that is wasted energy. Besides, $100-300 isn't anything to be sneezed at.

My laptop really doesn't get very hot. It feels a little warm, but not any warmer than most electrical appliances. I have a desktop computer that was made in 1999. If I leave that computer on for about an hour, the entire room will feel hot.