Political Correctness GONE MAD!

YT2095

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I comprehend where you're coming from, but I can't help but feel your method of protection would cause more harm than good. If a child loses self-esteem over something as pathetic as losing a soccer game, then there's obviously a bigger problem, one separate from a harmless, healthy game. If you aren't prepared to lose, don't play the game. A kid has to learn that you don't always come in first, or even never make the top ten. Failure on such a minor scale is necessary to harden us for the times when we must face up to our true failures in life, which are inevitable.

Did you read my post!? :eek: The one sentence you quoted out of context was part of my argument saying essentially the same thing you said but also attempting to illustrate the philosophical underpinnings of this BS.

*sigh* in a few years, the world is going to be full of wusses and ruled by bullies if they keep this up.

parents can only hover around their children and protect them for so long. they'll end up facing the real world eventually.

a black girl at my school got suspended for calling a white girl a "cupcake". it was deemed a racial slurr, and she got kicked out. i found it ridiculous. cupcakes can come in either color... it's not like she called her a "vanilla cupcake". my god. and i don't see where the offensive part comes in... i wouldn't mind being called a cupcake unless she called her a stale cupcake or something, haha.

The one sentence you quoted out of context[/b'] was part of my argument saying essentially the same thing you said but also attempting to illustrate the philosophical underpinnings of this BS.
Sorry, I did read your post, but misinterpreted your first sentences.

i've been doing that more lately, can't focus... sorry again, sincerely :-(:-(

• 3 months later...

here`s some more recent stupidities:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4418276.stm

as if that isn`t stupid enough, check this out!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4398680.stm

oh yeah, the BP trend too, AD and BC aren`t seen to be politically correct in some places anymore either, as it has Religious content, the use of BP (Before Present) is prefered!

Besides what they're proposing in this article, in the US the schools are really concerned about what I call STDs (Suddenly Too Dangerous). Games and equipment kids have played with for 100 years are now being removed from schools. Tetherball poles, seesaws, dodge ball, all have the potential for either bruising the kids physically or mentally so out they go.

In the UK we have recently passed a new law which says that anyone who has contact with a person under 18 needs to have had a background check done by the police who then issue a certificate of disclosure. This needs to be updated every 6 month, is quite expensive and take some time to do.

At my university I have been organising events for school children at the weekend. 40 kids or so come to the university and we have demonstrations and hands on fun with physics. It is supposed to encourage them to choose to take physics in their subsequent years.

Now we need to have disclosure for everyone involved, even thought there are about 5 adults with the 40 kids in one big room. This is a huge hassle to organise because it means that we need to know who is going to help a long time in advance. We are currently discussing whether we should continue to hold the classes, or now regard them as too much work and just call the whole thing off. If we call them off it will be an just another example of labour policy disdvantaging our education system.

In the UK we have recently passed a new law which says that anyone who has contact with a person under 18 needs to have had a background check done by the police who then issue a certificate of disclosure. This needs to be updated every 6 month, is quite expensive and take some time to do.
O - M - G!!! Please tell me that in your case it is at the university's expense! Not that that makes it any less grievous on the system as a whole, but I shudder to think of all the mentor programs that will fail if this is considered a personal expense.

Watch for your police departments to request more funds for personnel to handle all these extra checks. If this were implemented in the US, I would suspect someone who owns a private nationwide background-checking firm of hiring lobbyists to help pass this law so millions would be required to use his services.

Shall I assume this for anyone 18 and over to have contact with anyone under 18? Would this include the 18-year-old college freshman who wants to date the 17-year-old high school senior? While I can justify this law in regards to daycare centers, what a burden it will place on already underfunded school systems. Why, if this were to happen in the US it might mean that some of the sports programs would actually have to suffer. :rolleyes:

The above two posts typify the PC GONE MAD! theme, as they highlight actions that are taken in anticipation of a PC outbreak. Fixing something that isn't broken, or in this case correcting something no one has objected to yet, is the grease that proves that this slippery slope is not fallacious in the least.

last year a good many shops refused to put Santas and Christmas decorations in the front window for fear of "Offending" some of our minorities, it`s pathetic! where`s our Backbone gone!?

AFAIK there`s Never been a complaint anyway, it`s the same as if someone wished me "Happy Ramadam" or "Happy Diwali" or Honika, I`de be like, "Cheers, thanks man" :)

(not that I need an excuse to celebrate anything anyway), but that`s the sort of Spirit that`s being systematicaly Squashed here :(

Shall I assume this for anyone 18 and over to have contact with anyone under[/i'] 18? Would this include the 18-year-old college freshman who wants to date the 17-year-old high school senior?

Yes, this is a big problem for us at the moment, since we have quite a few 17 year olds in our first year intake. I suspect that many universities will now have to refuse to take 17 yeaar olds. In our case, I suspect the lecturing staff will now have to do all first year tutorials since it will be too difficult to get the postgrads and postdocs covered. This isn't decided yet though - we are still in panic mode trying to figure out a way round it.

Thankfully the university is picking up the tab.

I for one will refuse to do the classes for the 13 year olds if they make me do a background check, purely out of principle.

Apparently background checks are getting to be SOP in the US for elementary through high school teachers. I didn't realize it had gone that far but it has. Some states have systems in place that will alert the school district if a teacher is arrested for any type of crime.

last year a good many shops refused to put Santas and Christmas decorations in the front window for fear of "Offending" some of our minorities' date=' it`s pathetic! where`s our Backbone gone!?

AFAIK there`s Never been a complaint anyway, it`s the same as if someone wished me "Happy Ramadam" or "Happy Diwali" or Honika, I`de be like, "Cheers, thanks man" :)

(not that I need an excuse to celebrate anything anyway), but that`s the sort of Spirit that`s being systematicaly Squashed here :([/quote']

This is EXACTLY what I've never understood. I don't believe in god, but why should I mind if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas? Aren't there worse things in the world than being greeted in a respectful and positive way?! It's ridiculous.

I think this is just another example of extremism coming to dominate the political agenda.

Apparently background checks are getting to be SOP in the US for elementary through high school teachers. I didn't realize it had gone that far but it has. Some states have systems in place that will alert the school district if a teacher is arrested for any type of crime.

I don't see the problem with that. All the jobs I have applied for had a background check, and I am not responsible for the lives of 30 kids. They are professionals and should be treated and held responsible to be a professional.

I don't see the problem with that. All the jobs I have applied for had a background check, and I am not responsible for the lives of 30 kids. They are professionals and should be treated and held responsible to be a professional.
I don't have a problem with it either in this respect, john5746. Employers have the right to do their own checking, especially with the laws the way they are regarding referrals from past employers. You aren't even legally allowed to ask a former employer if they would hire the person again. All you can really ask is if they did indeed used to work there.

What I object to with the laws in the UK is it's all-encompassing reach and the mandatory nature of it. Anyone who has contact with <18-agers? Does this include anyone who works at the GAP? Burger King? Running this kind of check every 6 months would get very costly.

This is EXACTLY what I've never understood. I don't believe in god, but why should I mind if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas? Aren't there worse things in the world than being greeted in a respectful and positive way?! It's ridiculous.

Actually, I'm atheist at the moment, and, while I've been religious in the past, it's never been a judeo-christian religion (or even a monotheistic one), and not only am I *not* offended, I actually *like* Christmas quite a bit! It's fun!

It combines the Greed and Envy of birthdays (presents) with the Gluttony of Thanksgiving and not to mention how christmas shopping gives you a good dose of Wrath. Lust is in there too, but that has more to do with the contents of my presents to my GF.

Mokele

It combines the Greed and Envy of birthdays (presents) with the Gluttony of Thanksgiving and not to mention how christmas shopping gives you a good dose of Wrath. Lust is in there too, but that has more to do with the contents of my presents to my GF.
You forgot how proud you look in your new Christmas sweater and how slothful you are after being so gluttonous (especially when the triptophanes from the turkey kick in). ;)

AFAIK there`s Never been a complaint anyway' date=' it`s the same as if someone wished me "Happy Ramadam" or "Happy Diwali" or Honika, I`de be like, "Cheers, thanks man" :)[/quote']

I had to laugh at your spelling of Hannukah. :D

Political correctness just pisses me off.

Especially with regards to "Native Americans." Just for the record, I've never met a native Americac who was bothered by being called an Indian. Each tribe has their own names for themselves, and none of them is "Native American."

Also, in California, there are guidelines for wiritng textbooks that are politically correct. You aren't allowed to show anybody in a stereotypical position. For example, you can't show women working in the kitchen or as teachers or nurses. You can't show blacks being athletic. You can't show Jews handling money or men working in factories. You can't show old people being too grouchy or being too friendly...

the list goes on forever.

correct. You aren't allowed to show anybody in a stereotypical position. For example, you can't show women working in the kitchen or as teachers or nurses. You can't show blacks being athletic. You can't show Jews handling money or men working in factories. You can't show old people being too grouchy or being too friendly...

Can you show illegal aliens mowing lawns?.........:D

Interesting post, ecoli.

According to Bernard Goldberg (who does have an axe to grind), news reporters are required to find minorities for quotes whenever they can. So, for example, you can't have a white man give a new statistic on the air if there is, for example, a black woman available to give it. It's bad enough these people straw man us to death, not to mention passing along "studies" from special interest groups as if they're news, but they also have to be politically correct in doing so!

Interesting post' date=' ecoli.

According to Bernard Goldberg (who does have an axe to grind), news reporters are required to find minorities for quotes whenever they can. So, for example, you can't have a white man give a new statistic on the air if there is, for example, a black woman available to give it. It's bad enough these people straw man us to death, not to mention passing along "studies" from special interest groups as if they're news, but they also have to be politically correct in doing so![/quote']

thanks plangloss. You're right. Affirmative action is almost at odds with political correctness. "We'd give minorities preferential treatment, but that would be a stereotype."

Talking about political correctness' date=' I just came across the "slur" database.

I'd suggest that everyone memorize these slurs....and avoid using them

http://www.rsdb.org/

I'd say I have heard of about 10% of these ones already.