Biology of a cell: Genetic memory verses Environmental memory

NOTE: I wrote the following commentary in April 2013, in response to the following “italicized” statement that was posted on a “news forum”, ….. and decided to post a portion of it hereon to see what sort of responses it would “trigger”, …… to wit, enjoy:

I have yet come across an understandable explanation how the brain stores memory. Most likely because there has yet to be any real understanding.

Thus, given the above, I would like to offer my learned opinion on said in hopes that it might provide a better understanding of how and/or where the brain stores information. Or at the very least, “spark” a discussion that will lead to or result in a better understanding about said  

First, I will post some quoted commentary that should provide a generalized understanding of post-birth brain development and the role that one’s environment plays in the nurturing (learning or data sensing/storing) and the wiring of their brain, to wit:

Brain structure is not genetically determined.

How the brain develops hinges on a complex interplay between the genes you're born with and the experiences you have. Clear evidence has emerged that suggests that activity, experience, attachment, and stimulation determine the structure of the brain.

Early experiences directly affect how the brain is "wired."

At birth, baby's brain is remarkably unfinished. Most of its 100 billion neurons are not yet connected in networks. Some neurons are programmed for specific functions-breathing and heartbeat, but most are not yet designated for tasks and are waiting for the experiences in the environment to determine their function. Connections are created by the sensory experiences-seeing, smelling, touching, and especially tasting, stimulate the growth of neural connections. Forming and reinforcing these connections are the key tasks of early brain development.  Read more @:  http://www.multcolib.org/birthtosix/braindev.html

I would now like to specifically address the above comment in hopes that I might be able to provide some better understanding as to how and/or where the brain stores “memory”. And the first thing one has to acquire is a better understanding of the fact that the word “memory” is a descriptor word that is used for describing both the data/information that is being stored and/or  recalled ….. as well as the device said data/information is recorded in/on.

Thus said, there is a big difference between “stored memory” data and data ”memory storage” because the former is the “data” and the latter is the “device” ….. and one should always denote the difference when engaging in a technical discussion on the brain/mind.

And secondly, every cell in the body of a living organism, animal or plant, contains stored data/information, but the word “memory” is only applicable to the animal species that have a brain that is capable of consciously recalling (remembering) of environmentally sensed data/information. DNA or inherited info …… and muscular or muscle control info …. are also stored in cells but neither one can be consciously recalled.

And speaking of “consciously recalling”, one needs to acquire the understanding that there is both a conscious mind and a subconscious mind with the conscious mind being that which the “person” perceives he/she to be, ….. to be thinking, dreaming, seeing, saying, feeling, etc. And the understanding that their conscious mind is subservient to their subconscious mind …. which does all the processing of the sensed environmental data, …. the storing and recalling of “memory storage” data ….. and controls all communications with the conscious mind, voluntary muscles, body organs, etc. And that the “mind”, both conscious and subconscious, it not a physical entity ….. but a, per say, process or “operating program”. Also that the word ‘unconscious’ should only be used in reference to the conscious mind because the subconscious mind is never unconscious nor does it ever asleep.    

Most every species of animal is capable of sensing and storing environmentally sensed data/information and their subconscious mind is capable of reacting to it if it is again sensed on future occasions, …… regardless of whether or not said information is presented to their conscious mind, the majority of which is not if the conscious mind is asleep.  Likewise, some plant species are also capable of “sensing” environmentally transmitted data/information and reacting to it in a defensive manner to discourage predators. To wit:

Ref: Leaves signal presence of predators -  https://asknature.org/strategy/leaves-signal-presence-of-predators/#.WpBPReRy5PY  

Ref: Antelope activate the acacia’s alarm system - https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12717361-200-antelope-activate-the-acacias-alarm-system/  

Genetic memory verses Environmental memory

We know there is sufficiently enough "genetic memory" data in each egg and sperm, ..... after they combine into a single cell fertilized egg, ...... to control and/or direct mitosis (cell division) of said egg as it grows (divides) into an adult human of billions of cells .... and to give direction and purpose to each of those billions of cells depending upon where they are located within the human body.

But now, even though both brain neuron cells and body cells contain the same "genetic memory" data (same DNA)....... the "environmental memory" data stored in body cells is not the same as the "environmental memory" data that is stored in "neuron" brain cells. In other words, the "environmental memory" data that in stored in body cells is dependent upon the cell's location within the human body.

And thus I am supposing that every cell has the storage potential of both "genetic memory" data and "environmental memory" data ..... and that both are stored within the Chromosomes or DNA in each cell ..... and the latter is only relevant depending on the cell's location in the human body.

And I am supposing said because it makes no logical sense that evolution would evolve or create redundant or different entities for performing the same function of data/information storage.

One could say that some muscle cells have "environmental memory" because they can be nurtured to react (a per say reflex action) to different environmental stimuli as well as to "conscious thought" requests. Is not the "learning to ride a bicycle" the same as nurturing the mental memories of the appendage muscles? And is not the "learning to speak the vocal sounds of a language" the same as nurturing the mental memories of the vocal cord muscles?

And given the fact that "new" neurons are constantly being created and "linked" to existing neurons, .... the capacity of a human's physical "mental memory" is only limited by their skull size. Excluding the "ageing process", ..... that is,

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SamCogar said:

No comments pro or con about the above commentary, ……. HUH?

Guess maybe I'll post another one with a different "flavor" to see iffen it will "spark" a reaction.

We don't know everything.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You are saying that each cell has there owned unique memories of general experiences depending upon environmental interactions or environmental events that they have undergone? Or are you saying that when a new biological organism is born they inherit there the cells from there parents which cause those cells to have a "memory" of there parents actions which cause them to be more responsive to certain stimuli because they are "remembering" their previous interactions because they are passed down?

Because that would be fricken amazing if it were even remotely true. 

On 5.07.2018 at 9:40 PM, SamCogar said:

And thus I am supposing that every cell has the storage potential of both "genetic memory" data and "environmental memory" data ..... and that both are stored within the Chromosomes or DNA in each cell .....

DNA degenerates over time of life multi-cellular life organism, rather than upgrades... DNA is damaged more, and more, and more.. Sometimes these random damages (mutations) are useful, but the most of the time, they're not..

If your hypothesis about "genetic memory" and "environment memory" inside of DNA is true, the most intelligent child should be born by the oldest parents. Some of them, might be smart, but not because parents memory has been stored in their DNA (and sperm and cell), and this way get to their children, but just because parents were smart and were talking with children, teaching them, and cared about good education (and had enough money for it, in countries in which university is not free of charge)..

Edited by Sensei

16 hours ago, Sensei said:

DNA degenerates over time of life multi-cellular life organism

YUP, your denoted “degeneration” is more commonly referred to as “aging”.

And DNA degeneration in/of brain neurons does occur via the action of diseases such as Alzheimer's. And RA causes both degeneration and/or “bad” mutations in/of the DNA of body cells.

And 95+% of all bodily cancers are the result of “bad” mutations in/of the DNA of body cells.

16 hours ago, Sensei said:

If your hypothesis about "genetic memory" and "environment memory" inside of DNA is true, the most intelligent child should be born by the oldest parents.

I don’t think you understand how human sexual reproduction actually functions. Nor the differences between sex cell (egg and sperm) and other body cells.

Environmentally nurtured knowledge/intelligence is stored in the DNA of brain neurons (cells) …… and brain neurons are not sex cell (egg or sperm), therefore, the learned knowledge of the biological parents can not be inherited by the offspring.

All cells within the body contain the exact same genetically inherited data/info, …… but only the environmentally “sensed” info/data is stored in the brain’s neurons. And only the “self-nurtured” info/data is store in the DNA of both voluntary and involuntary muscle cells …. such as “learning” to control one’s sphincter muscles, vocal cord muscles, …. or learning to ride a bicycle or dribble a basketball.

18 hours ago, ALine said:

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You are saying that each cell has there owned unique memories of general experiences depending upon environmental interactions or environmental events that they have undergone?

“Yup”, that was kinda, sorta like … exactly what I was saying. The function and purpose of all body cells is specifically dependent upon said cell’s location in the body. Such as, cells in/on one’s leg function like “leg cells” are suppose to “function”, …… but iffen leg cell are surgically “grafted” in/on one’s arm then they will function like “arm cells” are supposed to “function”.

And remember, only “parts” or ”pieces” of the environmentally sensed info/data is stored in each individual neuron …….. and only “new” info/data is stored, no redundant data is stored. And said “parts” or ”pieces” of associated data/info in said neurons are conjoined via synaptic links which permits “recall” of said partial/total environmental experience.

To wit:

Many cognitive psychologists see the brain as a computer. But every single brain is absolutely individual, both in its development and in the way it encounters the world. Your brain develops depending on your individual history. What has gone on in your own brain and its consciousness over your lifetime is not repeatable, ever—not with identical twins, not even with conjoined twins. Each brain is exposed to different circumstances. It’s very likely that your brain is unique in the history of the universe. Neural Darwinism looks at this enormous variation in the brain at every level, from biochemistry to anatomy to behavior.

Source:  http://discovermagazine.com/2009/feb/16-what-makes-you-uniquely-you

Edited by SamCogar

Well, I guess you could say that every cell in the human body has DNA which can become damaged and changed depending upon the environmental stimulus. And you could also say that new cells could be formed from these older cells. So in a sense, you could say that newer cells have a copy of that previously damaged cell. So it would not be the storage of memory per say but over time there would a transference of the data that has been stored. So it would be like a baton race where previous cells pass on information to newer cells. So it would be a transference rather than a storage and from that transference, you can imply past instances. It would be like looking at a computer program that has been changed over a long period of time without saving the changes. 

Also, I have no formal training in biological studies so I might not be the best source for this. 

3 hours ago, ALine said:

Also, I have no formal training in biological studies so I might not be the best source for this.

But you are interested, …….. and that is what is important.

So, for starters, click on the following url and learn about "cell" reproduction. 

Mitosis and Meiosis

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Meiosis_vs_Mitosis