what is a god

sci-man

56 minutes ago, Endercreeper01 said:

Numbers are evidence of a higher power,

You may believe that, but I doubt many other people do. I am not about to start worshipping the Number 5 (and certainly not Number Twos).

57 minutes ago, Endercreeper01 said:

The reasoning is that consciousness creates reality, because consciousness is what truly has a fundamental existence which makes it necessary for it to create everything around it, so that it can exist within it.

That is not "reasoning", it is just a statement of what you believe. 

What you said was: "Consciousness creates reality because consciousness creates reality". http://grammarist.com/rhetoric/begging-the-question-fallacy/

51 minutes ago, Endercreeper01 said:

What is wrong with the idea that consciousness is fundamental to existence?

Nothing. As long as you accept it is just a baseless belief. There is no EVIDENCE for it and so no one else is going to accept it.

52 minutes ago, Endercreeper01 said:

How about a number such as the phi ratio appearing over and over again in the universe?

Phi doesn't occur very often. Other numbers such as Pi and e do. But that is for very simple reasons to do with symmetry and so on.

Now maybe you think symmetry is a "higher power"; it certainly seems to be fundamental to our understanding of the universe. But there is no reason to invoke god/superman/magic to explain it.

46 minutes ago, Endercreeper01 said:

Evidence can be seen throughout reality as the unique appearance of specific numbers over and over again, as a synchronicity. It is evidence of a higher power at work in the universe.

It is only evidence for your gods if you already believe in them. I don't therefore I don't see it as evidence.

If it were really evidence, then anyone seeing it would acknowledge that you were correct. That is how evidence works. 

It isn't evidence, it is just a (delusional?) belief.  

"Apophenia (/æpˈfniə/) is the tendency to perceive connections and meaning between unrelated things. ... Apophenia has come to imply a universal human tendency to seek patterns in random information

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

40 minutes ago, Endercreeper01 said:

It becomes statistically less and less likely to be a coincidence as it appears more and more times in reality. Eventually, it becomes obvious that it is not a coincidence.

Perhaps you can show us the mathematics behind this claim?

Or is it just another baseless belief?

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Maybe this will change your mind. ;)

Very good. The two things that do make me wonder are...

The existence of Romanesco:

220px-Fractal_Broccoli.jpg

And the fact that the following joke works: "Why do hackers confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because OCT 31 = DEC 25" 

3 hours ago, Strange said:

Very good. The two things that do make me wonder are...

The existence of Romanesco:

220px-Fractal_Broccoli.jpg

And the fact that the following joke works: "Why do hackers confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because OCT 31 = DEC 25" 

There are 10 kinds of people: those that understand, and those that don't.

Did you know that if you count the number of spirals on the romanesco in different directions (or pineapple or pine cone or flower leafs or...), you get consecutive numbers of fibonnacci?

Nature is full of mathematical patterns, because it uses simple mathematical rules to achieve complex structures.

Edited by Bender

10 minutes ago, Bender said:

Nature is full of mathematical patterns, because it uses simple mathematical rules to achieve complex structures.

Or because we use mathematics to describe nature?

(It depends whether you are a mathematics is invented or discovered kind of person!)

8 hours ago, Strange said:

Or because we use mathematics to describe nature?

(It depends whether you are a mathematics is invented or discovered kind of person!)

The patterns and rules that cause them were present in nature long before humans existed to describe them.

9 hours ago, Bender said:

I know this isn't the joke thread - though it has become sort of a joke in itself - but there are 10 kinds of people: those who know hexadecimal and F the rest...

9 hours ago, Strange said:

It depends whether you are a mathematics is invented or discovered kind of person!

That could certainly be an intersting discussion

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 1:09 AM, YaDinghus said:
On 6/2/2018 at 3:40 PM, Bender said:

I know this isn't the joke thread - though it has become sort of a joke in itself - but there are 10 kinds of people: those who know hexadecimal and F the rest...

this was not meant to be such a big deal with ten pages... but I guess that's what you get when you try to figure out whether or not a supreme being could exist. thanks for commenting!!!

Edited by sci-man