Right & left handed tools...

Externet

Always found my circular saw to be awkward to operate.  Is it because there is left and right-hand types, with no markings on the box, depending on the buyer to recognize it right away ?  Have goofed too long time to notice it...

Pictures borrowed from the web; top seems right handed.

image.png.694cec9dfeab8c788b5b7e2f752794a5.png

image.png.285faf74b0d639ee92b26e70ffebc7fd.png

Edited by Externet

4 minutes ago, Externet said:

Always found my circular saw to be awkward to operate.  Is it because there is left and right-hand types, with no markings on the box, depending on the buyer to recognize it right away ?  Have goofed too long time to notice it...

image.png.694cec9dfeab8c788b5b7e2f752794a5.png

image.png.285faf74b0d639ee92b26e70ffebc7fd.png

Yes, mine is the wrong way. Mine is like the bottom one but I would like one like the top one.

First image looks goofy to me, but might actually make seeing the cut easier.  The tool might get in the way in some circumstances and the weight should be on the held piece, not the cut-off piece.

Here is one 'expert'.

Is it the wrong-hand tool/user ?   I found several pictures doing it wrong; including the picture on the box of mine (bottom image).  At least am not the only goofy.

image.png.9aaba8fa8e3686a4f4935fa6563d49e0.png

image.thumb.jpeg.08342327b32ef31d1f822c1604acc6ad.jpeg

Edited by Externet

If I recall well, the lock switch (white arrow) designed for right-handed is under the right thumb. When a leftie like me uses the tool, the hand covers the lock switch. It means the tool is functionning when you take your hand off (because the lock switch is...locked). Dangerous.

8 hours ago, Externet said:

Here is one 'expert'.

Is it the wrong-hand tool/user ?   I found several pictures doing it wrong; including the picture on the box of mine (bottom image).  At least am not the only goofy.

image.png.9aaba8fa8e3686a4f4935fa6563d49e0.png

Top picture is right handed, bottom is left-handed (goofy in snowboarding talk).  Tool goes in the dominant hand.  I didn't know they sold them the other way without labels, that's weird.

To cut safely and accurately to the mark or line on the work, the blade should be between your shoulders and arms.  This is so your eye balls line up.  I am left handed.  When it comes to dangerous power tools like a Skill Saw, lefties usually just learn to use the right handed tools right handed.  Difficult but doable.   Over time one just gets used to it.

The ongoing problem buying and using left handed tools is that lefties quickly get very dependent upon them.  Then when only right handed power tools are available it makes things very dangerous all over again relearning to use right handed tools.  Most folks are right handed.  Consumer goods are right handed.  The solution for South Paws is hard.

ex contractor builder.