Quantum Physicist recognised:

beecee

Today, Friday 26th Jan is Australia Day, celebrating 240 years since colonisation in Sydney Cove in 1778 by Captain Arthur Philip of the first fleet.

Quantum physicist Michelle Simmons named 2018 Australian of the Year

Quantum physicist Michelle Simmons has been named 2018 Australian of the Year, in recognition of her work in the "space race of the computing era".

The University of New South Wales professor is leading the development of a new type of computer, which would allow humans to solve problems in minutes that might otherwise take thousands of years. A "quantum computer", which could look at all possible outcomes simultaneously, has the potential to change approaches to areas such as weather forecasts, stock markets, facial recognition, self-driving cars, traffic flows and drug development.

more at link.....

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/quantum-physicist-named-2018-australian-of-the-year-20180125-h0ob29.html

3 hours ago, MigL said:

I dunno.
Something positive instead of talking about D Trump ?

The immigration & Govt shutdown threads are about DACA, not Trump, and they have been they have been the most active. 

This thread doesn't seem to be about politics at all. 

9 hours ago, Ten oz said:

What is the political angle to this? 

The Australian candidates of the year are selected by committees in each of the states and territories as designated by the Sate governments  governments.

I just see it as rather nice and gives one a symbol of hope that a genuine scientists has won. Plus I wasn't real sure where to put this anyway.

Edited by beecee

Beecee. Seeing as this is in politics:  Is the colonisation by whites a day to be proud of and should it be celebrated with a special day? What is the general distribution of feelings on this subject there?

On 26/01/2018 at 4:24 PM, Ten oz said:

What is the political angle to this? 

How's that? :D

Edited by StringJunky

5 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Beecee. Seeing as this is in politics:  Is the colonisation by whites a day to be proud of and should it be celebrated with a special day? What is the general distribution of feelings on this subject there?

How's that? :D

I wasn't insisting it needed a political angle but rather am confused as to why it isn't in Quantum Theory rather than politics.