Hijack from What are the Odds of Life evolving by chance alone?

mistermack

I thought that the obvious point of the OP was that natural physical and chemical processes couldn't produce life, and by implication, the OP was a thinly disguised argument for a creator. So if you want this aspect of the OP to be ignored, that's fine. Maybe there should be a special category for threads that purport to be about science, but are actually about the existence of the supernatural. 

1 hour ago, mistermack said:

I thought that the obvious point of the OP was that natural physical and chemical processes couldn't produce life, and by implication, the OP was a thinly disguised argument for a creator. So if you want this aspect of the OP to be ignored, that's fine. Maybe there should be a special category for threads that purport to be about science, but are actually about the existence of the supernatural. 

It was probably, certainly subtextually, but the OP specifically asked, "what do your scientific minds have to say about the above?" and not "what are the chances of god?". We have to give the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by dimreepr

In my opinion it is quite irrational to believe that a God created life on earth.

There is no evidence from physics, chemistry, astronomy, biology or any other science that a God actually exists.

And btw you need to answer this question: If there is a God who creates all life on earth, then why is the world such a shitty place and why do living organisms show evidence of extremely poor design?

Organisms on earth have features of having been poorly designed so if God created organisms on Earth with such poor design then this creator is not so smart or not so capable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_poor_design

14 minutes ago, seriously disabled said:

In my opinion it is quite irrational to believe that a God created life on earth.

There is no evidence from physics, chemistry, astronomy, biology or any other science that a God actually exists.

And btw you need to answer this question: If there is a God who creates all life on earth, then why is the world such a shitty place and why do living organisms show evidence of extremely poor design?

Organisms on earth have features of having been poorly designed so if God created organisms on Earth with such poor design then this creator is not so smart or not so capable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_poor_design

Prosyletising is a double-edged sword, start a thread and we can discuss the difference.

Edited by dimreepr

5 hours ago, dimreepr said:

It was probably, certainly subtextually, but the OP specifically asked, "what do your scientific minds have to say about the above?" and not "what are the chances of god?". We have to give the benefit of the doubt.

That's true, but "the above" was rich in assertions that there has to be a creator. 

I'll cherry pick a few, to show what I mean.

On 22/07/2012 at 7:23 PM, Alan McDougall said:

In other words, probabilities greatly favor those that believe an intelligent designer was responsible for originating even the simplest DNA molecules.

Evolutionist Michael Denton: "The complexity of the simplest known type of cell is so great that it is impossible to accept that such an object could have been thrown together suddenly by some kind of freakish, vastly improbable, event. Such an occurrence would be indistinguishable from a miracle."

Famed researcher Sir Fred Hoyle is in agreement with Creationists on this point.

Today, most scientists are convinced that life could never have come into being without some form of highly intelligent and powerful designer.

However what do your scientific minds have to say about the above?

I find that much of the rest of the OP is working from a fundamental fallacy. Pointing to the huge complexity of the human brain, etc, is an irrelevant point. We have the evidence of humans evolving from less clever apes, and those evolving from fish, through amphibians, etc etc. So claiming that complexity can't arise from far more simple organisms is clearly wrong, and the evidence it clearly there in the fossils.

What we don't have fossil evidence for is the origin of the first reproducing unit. But we have fossils for most of the following process, so expressing wonder at human complexity is attempting to mislead. The complexity is explained. The very first part of the origin of the process is not. Yet.

10 hours ago, seriously disabled said:

And btw you need to answer this question: If there is a God who creates all life on earth, then why is the world such a shitty place...

You must have made this argument a couple of dozen times by now. A shitty world is not proof there is no God. Please move on to something else.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.