SEARCH ENGINES - is it, or are they ? Fundamental to most of intelligent machines , including the human being, animals, insects, viruses, cells ?

Mike Smith Cosmos

There seems to be a need to make analogies for life functions based on the technology of the time: the stomach is a furnace; the human body works by clockwork; the heart is like a steam engine [OK, I don't know if anyone really said that]; the brain is like a computer; and now hunting is like a search engine.

I don't see much value in any of these.

There seems to be a need to make analogies for life functions based on the technology of the time: the stomach is a furnace; the human body works by clockwork; the heart is like a steam engine [OK, I don't know if anyone really said that]; the brain is like a computer; and now hunting is like a search engine.

I don't see much value in any of these.

Well if life ( animal and human ) have found it benificial to ' be' and exist , like they do . Namely to come up with desires, then go seeking them . Rather than just sit there , interacting in specific ways .( as matter ) . Then search they must to find their aspiration .

Today millions , billions of humans are using the World Wide Web to find their aspirations . By the extra ordinary search engine that is embedded in the system .

A useful cross illustration, is that of a recent descovered , concerning what we have happening in our ( 2 halves of brain) .

It would appear we take in more information than we can immediately handle , on a day to day basis . As we go to sleep a mechanism , whether it could be called a search engine ?..? Both halves of the brain communicate via the narrow channel , between the halves. Overnight they solve many left over enquiries. In the morning you wake up with some answers. Possibly due to your internal search engine .

Mike

!

Moderator Note

Mike Smith Cosmos

I am going to insist you stick to your own self-appointed script on this one; you made certain claims in the OP and the thread will be a discussion of those points and nothing more. I will not allow it to turn into another meaning-lite meandering blog.

Re-read your OP, address the fact that members have contradicted your assertions (sometimes with counter-examples - other times more baldly), and build a focused argument. Repetition, deviation, and blather will result in the thread being locked.

As requested :-

Original heading :-

SEARCH ENGINES - is it, or are they ? Fundamental to most of intelligent machines , including the human being, animals, insects, viruses, cells ?

Supportive to OP: -

The principle of SOMETHING that ' Sifts' information so as to provide a solution; ' identifies ' a specific piece of knowledge; or 'filters out ' a possible required action. This appears to be fundamental to a lot of modern computer or I- pad technology.

Does this mean , ' that they are ', also essential to ' Life Itself ' ?

---------------------

Claims :-

.. That there is a question, that there may be in existence , (?) , mechanisms ( described as search engines ) in both computer systems ( small and massive ) as well as in animals of many sizes ( small and large ) and all sane human organisms. This is submitted as a Question to encourage discussion around the subject !

----------------------

Building a focused argument :-

: I am bringing a focused argument , based as by my usual method , a mixture of engineering experience , observation , reading technical literature, thinking the subject through over a long period of time .

Then moved share and to make public my current beliefs on the matter , as best as I am able .

Argument .

I have witnessed and taken part in the computer revolution , from work on PERT ( progress .evaluation, review , technique) as a management tool for large projects on computers Room sized. I have spent 8 years in university studying around electronics to degree level ( BHons satellite communication ) . I have taken part in design and manufacture of interface devices for home computers and Personal Computers ( PC,s) and their link across country by BT telephone lines. I was exposed to the principle of ' search engines ' as the link up of home computers pc's moved from BT prestel to front end Information Providers who housed huge banks of computers and memory banks . As the use of this World Wide Web grew and grew . I remained very much at the Personal Computer end . I saw the services mature as information providers worked along side the hardware . The rest is history , and we work , all of us , utilising the services of the large providers in their satisfying OUR requirement for information contained world wide across a giant network of information . Some of this information MAY exist on individual web sites that many of us have set up . Right through to the massive sites like CERN , TO WHOLESALERS of Products.

This is out there , but where is my requirement lodged, either as information , instructions , product , or whatever.

This is where the major IT companies who supply the SEARCH , will search and find your REQUIREMENT . ( then you can have your required information , service, product , etc. supplied) .

:

:I have noticed an amazing similarity , between the above described development . To aspect of behaviour

Amongst the computer based system above , and the way human beings have ordered their lives over the last few Centuaries . Today's society is surely satisfying our enquiries , mental stimulation , and bodily desires , to a reasonably large and significant amount.

-----------------------

This is the subject , with claims , and structured argument that I am submitting . That can if necessary be expanded to include , bigger more complex supplies, as well as any possible application to lower order life , animal etc ?

-----------------------

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos