Better bondage with rubber.

DrP

I have an acrylic emulsion based caulk with lots of various fillers and actives. Any suggestions for additives that would improve the adhesion of this caulk to natural rubber? The adhesion is not bad but the rubber gets compressed and I am looking for improvements in adhesion to the substrate under stress.

There are probably industrial solutions out there off the shelf, but I wouldn't mind knowing what the chemistry actually is rather than buying a trade named additive. Keying up the surface of the substrate before application might improve adhesion too due to extra surface area to bond to, but I want a securer bond.

I can envisage different functionality on the polymer backbone changing the adhesion properties, but this isn't an option in this case. (although I could use a different polymer system - maybe an epoxy would bond better?). What would be an easy fix would be an additive or a chemical that would improve the adhesion of this acrylic to natural rubber.

Thanks.

P.

I have an acrylic emulsion based caulk with lots of various fillers and actives. Any suggestions for additives that would improve the adhesion of this caulk to natural rubber? The adhesion is not bad but the rubber gets compressed and I am looking for improvements in adhesion to the substrate under stress.

There are probably industrial solutions out there off the shelf, but I wouldn't mind knowing what the chemistry actually is rather than buying a trade named additive. Keying up the surface of the substrate before application might improve adhesion too due to extra surface area to bond to, but I want a securer bond.

I can envisage different functionality on the polymer backbone changing the adhesion properties, but this isn't an option in this case. (although I could use a different polymer system - maybe an epoxy would bond better?). What would be an easy fix would be an additive or a chemical that would improve the adhesion of this acrylic to natural rubber.

Thanks.

P.

Looks like a title for a fetish page. :)

Another clue is that it is posted in the Applied Chemistry section rather than the Spank Me section of the forum. lol.

But let's not too off topic eh? ;-)

Edited by DrP

Thanks.

P.

This site may have some useful information.

http://www.masterbond.com/resources/surface-preparation-for-rubbers

The three most common techniques used for surface treating rubber substrates are:

1. Trichloroethylene Solvent: Degrease the rubber substrate as mentioned above using trichloroethylene solvent.
  2. Modified Bleach Solution: Prepare the modified bleach solution by pouring cold DI water (1 liter) into a clean container made of plastics, glass or similar inert ware. While stirring the water, add concentrated hydrochloric acid (5 ml) in a slow steady stream. Then add household bleach (30 ml), stirring it thoroughly into the diluted acid. Immerse the rubber substrate in modified bleach solution for 1-3 minutes at room temperature. Following that, rinse it in cold DI water, followed by a rinse in hot DI water. Finally dry the substrate in hot air.
  3. Sulfuric Acid Solution: Immerse the rubber substrate in concentrated sulfuric acid for 2-10 minutes. Following that, rinse it in cold DI water, followed by a rinse in hot DI water. Finally dry the substrate in hot air.

post-88603-0-62221100-1481831745_thumb.png

Edited by arc

Thank you arc - I will try some of the surface treatments. I guess the idea with the bleach is to hydroxylate the surface to promote sites for chemical bonds. I'll try that and the solvent treatment.