Warning System

I don't understand what the "Warning Maturity" thingy is, what do the numbers represent, I mean, they show the things are in order of maturity, but why not 1 to 10 or sumin?

I don't understand what the "Warning Maturity" thingy is, what do the numbers represent
Warning Maturity is the number of days it takes for the warning points to go away. You could get a temporary ban for 10 days if you were cited for 5 counts of spamming (4 pts each, 14 days maturity) and a count of copyright violation (5 pts, 10 days maturity) for a total of 25 points.

After 10 days the copyright violation matures and the ban is lifted, but for the next 4 days you still have 20 points of warning.

We know you all want posters to stay on-topic and it wastes everyone's time to read posts that say simply "LOL" with nothing else attached. We know you all appreciate the quest for knowledge and intelligence and this is the fairest way to improve our scientificalatiousness.

Go to:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/Warn.php?do=ViewMyWarnings

It should be different for every person, well, that is, if they had warnings and someone else didnt they'd see slightly different things (ie. the warning!!!)

And if that doesn't work then just to 'Quick links' at the top between 'Search' and 'Log out', click on that and on the drop down menu select 'View my warnings'.

And thanks Phi

A strawman is a logical fallacy used by scurrilous debaters to make you defend a position of their choice, not the one you started out defending.

Callipygous: "I think we should all pay $100 a month in dues to be members here at Science Forums. It would get rid of the people who aren't serious about science."

Scurrilous Phi: "Callipygous, I don't see why you want to keep my daughter from going to college with your silly dues idea."

"if evolution was real, we'd all be perfect by now"

strawman?

by-the-by, the 'view my warnings' link never works for me from the sites home-page. any other page, and the link works, but not if im currently viewing the home page. odd, neh?

I suppose that since evolution strives for adaptation and proliferation rather than perfection, it technically does count as a strawman. Especially if your opponent in the debate continues to argue from that point. That's very typical of strawmanning. They keep wanting you to attack something they can easily defend.

wheres the line between that and using an analogy to make a point?

i just remember from some debate we had you told me i was using a strawman when i really just meant it as a way of expressing the thought. it might have been the pedophile thread.

What would a false accusation of strawmaning come under?
If they're persistent after you've explained their error, it could be construed as flaming. I've seen a lot of posts where statements were made for the sole purpose of starting a row.

Were you recently falsely accused?

the first think i saw was the table. i almost had a heart attack until i saw that it was just a list of the offenses and thier associated point values.
That would make a classic spit-take.

yourdad: "What's this from Science Forums.net?" (takes huge gulp of drink)

SFN: "... Flaming, Copyright Theft, Racist Remarks, Hazardous Materials Violation..."

yourdad: (spews Pepsi all over computer screen) :D

For info: -

Dear atinymonkey' date='

You have been warned for one of your posts, which violated Science Forums and Debate Rules. The reason you have been warned is because:

[b'] Spamming [/b]

(Warning Type = Spamming)

For this violation, you have been given : 4 point(s).

The point(s) will remain in your account for 14 days.

After that, they will be removed automatically.

The post for which you are warned can be seen here:

Warned Post

The admin/moderator who warned you, entered this comment:

=======================================

You are a spammy, spammy monkey and you asked for this!

=======================================

Your total Warning Level at the moment is: 4 point(s).

If you reach the maximum of 25, you will be banned from the Forums, for 2 days.

To see details about all the warnings you have received, until now, please click here.

Please reply back if you have a dispute.

I think it's a good system. It's quite fair and forgiving to casual infractions, and gives a suitable level of detail to the offender. It also gives as clear line of responsibility for the warning, which should help keep petty arguments about decisions off the forum, consigning complaints to the PM system. It's certainly better than previous systems, which didn't assign the responsibility for issuing warnings to any of the forum staff.

Heh. I first took a look at the 'Your Warnings' page and saw the entire list of possible warnings there and wondered 'What the heck did I do?!!!!!' Then I looked at the tiny print which said 'you have zero warnings'. heh. Scared me there for a moment. :D