Everything posted by studiot
-
What is the legal significance of evidence provided by AI ?
In what would would AI be involved in providing evidence in this hypothetical case ?
-
What is the legal significance of evidence provided by AI ?
I couldn't agree more. And the bigger the business the more it seems to be able to avoid laws others have to follow. Glad you like it. I found it difficult to know where to place this thread. I don't know how much you know about the British legal system (and of those countries who folowed it) but it is quite different form the American system in several important ways The British system distinguishing two forms of law breaking, one criminal and one civil. The burden of proof, penalties and consequences of each are quite different. In particular the ' balance of probabilities' is not acceptable in criminal cases. The California case I referred to above could not arise unde British law since criminal responsibility is held by the vehicle owner unless some other person can be proven to have been driving. An AI is not a legal person, so the responsability immediately falls back on the owner. Statistics has nothing to do with this situation. If the driven vehicle is proven to have run a red light etc someone ( a legal person in British parlance ) must be responsible. that legal person nedd not be Human but cannot at present be an AI. If only @imatfaal , whose legal knowledge vastly exceeds mine, were still here I would greatly value their opinion on this thread. If you tell a lie one time or a thousand times, does that make a difference in the veracity of the lie? Does the number make a difference in the veracity of truth? I seem to remember a quote, "If you tell a lie long enough and loud enough, people will begin to believe it." Does that make the lie a truth? Maybe it makes the lie a fact? Please allow me the luxury of knowing what I am talking about, mathematically speaking.
-
Silica and alumina as stationary phases in TLC and column chromatography
Is the condition of the alumina relevant ? https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18702472/
-
I could not reach Scienceforums for 3 days
If you scan back over the thread I have posted screenshots / descriptions of the different difficulties I have been experiencing over the last couple of weeks, in the hope the information might be useful. Sorry I can't give you the posts as they are not numbered on this site, so once again may I make a plea for post numbering ?
-
I could not reach Scienceforums for 3 days
This is what I have been seeing these last few days. Before that the site was simply slow, as I have already posted. Now the site seems normally fast again. Note the webaddress shown was a dummy to simulate the rest of the page.
-
World’s largest sand battery passes test
It would be a good idea to use understand the term 'battery' correctly, as there is such a thing as a heat battery in engineering thermodynamics. Electrically the 'electrical battery' derived from the grouped collection of individual 'cells' rather than from the latin and old french 'to beat'. Strictly what in popular parlance is an AA battery is infact a cell.
-
Why you have to be so careful accepting answers from AI
yet another example of why you have to be so careful. Instagram AI chatbot tricked by hackers to give access to others' accounts BBC NewsMeta AI chatbot enabled hackers to access others' Instagr...Some reports have linked the incident to recent cases of high-profile Instagram accounts being hijacked.
-
Could aliens ever visit Earth?
Well it's your thread so I will bow out with the observation that you are limiting the scope. For instance why is it necessary to leave ? The Founding Fathers of New England had nothing to go back to and did not expect to leave so what would be wrong with a one way journey ? Further why should the journey not outlast the lifespan of those who started, if proper provision for continuity was made ? Everyone seems to be discounting slow, but slow could be goog, given these details.
-
Could aliens ever visit Earth?
Which is why I asked at the beginning
-
I could not reach Scienceforums for 3 days
I'm not going to say it. No I'm not going dare to say it. It's working again. There I've said it. Hope I didn't break it.
-
Does anyone have experience with machineering and iPhysics?
From a quick look at the company website it seems very specialised to small, perhaps intricate, machine tools. Simulation software has been around a long time and, depending upon the enormously wide range of processes (probably almost all process) that can be simulated as well as the type of simulation required, may or may not be suitable for any given application.
-
Could aliens ever visit Earth?
What would be an appropriate 'cruising speed' for spores or seeds, given that we have not idea of their longevity ? Who said anything about the conditions in space or an atmousphere ? Spores/seeds embedded deeply enough in a large enough rock would not experience the former or suffer from the latter as the outer layers of rock would protect them. Such a journey would also take care of the deceleration issue.
-
I could not reach Scienceforums for 3 days
I'm still wishing. Perhaps you saw your lucky star last night ?
-
Could aliens ever visit Earth?
Well does the 'alien' have to be sentient ? I am observing that non-dead life from at least 5,000 years ago has survived and been revived here on Earth (eg seeds from the Pyramids) So could spores, seeds, whatever travel on rocks or other natural interstellar objects in say twice that or 104 years ?
-
I could not reach Scienceforums for 3 days
Brains in Customer Service ??!? What planet do you live on ? I had time to plant the coffe, harvest it, roast it, make and drink the coffee, whilst posting this.
-
I could not reach Scienceforums for 3 days
I wish.
-
The sign of a modest president - The Arc de Trump
Don't know how this will play in other countries, but the arc is the last bit of this minute and a half video https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/ce8pp9r03z7o
-
I could not reach Scienceforums for 3 days
Well my browser has been helpfully ()forcibly) upgraded without my knowledge to the new improved version that does things I do not want it to do. So there is a new wave which goes against all my security training look for the https but suppressing the http or https bit. So the browser originally looks for http - see screenshot 1 when I wanted to move from Google to SF. So when after I though I died waiting and the system finally logged into St I see it then finds the https version. See screenshot 2 All nicely hidden by the browser. Perhaps those pesky ruskies are frigging with the transatlantic cables between Europe and America again buit European sites esp the BBC are fast, but american ones are slow.
-
I could not reach Scienceforums for 3 days
Yes I am experiencing this and at first thought SF was offline. It is just taking an excessively long time to move from page to page, but on page functions work quickly. I also noticed that the page (?s) start with http not https. Don't know if these are older versions from a cache but I have seen this effect on other sites without the s. So the s really means speedy not secure ?
-
Does some numerology intersect with standard mathematics?
You keep saying this. I asked you a while ago what you mean by a pattern. When are you going to tell me ? I am looking for a means that I can use when I am presented with something I decide whether or not it is a pattern.
-
Mixing for Bread Making
-
Mixing for Bread Making
A riffle (noun) is a device for mixing or dividing (it works either way). That is what the holes in the (flat) spoon are for a what makes it a riffle spoon. The spoon is used to lift a largish pile of the dry material (flours, sugar, salt, dried yeast) and sprinkle it over the whole surface of the pile. Repeating this many times and digging deep fully mixes the dry ingredients. I then place the bowl in the mixer, and set the dough hook running. Then I pour in the mixture of warm water, oil and malt. That quickly achieves a decent dough. When dividing people dealing with piles of material (grain, aggregate, wood chips, whatever) use a gridded 'riddle' to properly sample the material to get a sample suitable for statistical testing. The verb riffle also applies to cards.
-
Mixing for Bread Making
It is essential to ensure that ingredients are well mixed when bread making. I normally use 3 types of flour, sometimes more. How do you ensure a good mix ? I use a riffle spoon for the dry ingredients (including yeast), see the photo in the mixer bowl, before adding the liquid ingredients.
-
Why you have to be so careful accepting answers from AI
No not really. People can't loose what they never had. The abacus was 'invented' to carry out calculations that most (99.999 %) of the population could not carry out anyway. Slide rules were in general not accurate enough for other than rough calculation, which was why Seth (and myself amongst others used Chambers Tables. there was in fact a special operation in WWII to steal German tables that were more accurate that any the British had). There were special purpose slide rules that were more accurate but these wereexpensive and bulky, as the accuracy depends on size, so there would only be a few organisations that would have such a thing. One other calculation aid not mentioned is the nomogram. Like a slide rule the acuracy depends upon size, but they were once very useful but have fallen out of fashion. Their USP was that you did not need to know the mechanics of the problem to use one.
-
Einstein's Mistake: The Incomplete Implementation of the Correspondence Principle
This seems rather familiar. Haven't we seen it before ?