Someone is telling me Quarks can make magic. Can someone weigh in on this?

I am a complete layman but someone who's been debating to me about how magic is real just told me Quark can make magic. Can someone here weigh in on this? This is specifically what he said.

"Science is indeed the truth, it's been continuously proven time and again and the variance is so minimal it can be considered the truth. But magic is somewhere out there where science can be molded and manipulated in a way that causes abnormalities. Most matter in the universe are a combination of up quarks and down quarks, some of the most stable elementary particles. Yet it's not like you've done enough research to know them well enough. Say I propose an interesting combination of quarks that are composed of mostly up and strange quarks, a particle you only find at high energy (and an unusual one, since strange should pair with charm & down with up normally).

They are usually found within biological components which represent the body's driving force, and immediately lost upon brain death. The complex system known as life support, found in most living beings, are directly influenced by the existence of this deviant particle of matter. It's so small, and yet it exists because the subconscious electromagnetic waves emitted by people (voltage in the nervous system) create an environment that allows this particular particle to exist. It's very hard to research without killing the subject because you're shoving 17 inches of medical equipment into someone's gut and organs. There's no way someone would survive a risky procedure like that if they knew what was happening to them. (Google Dr Martha Power of Suggestion) This particle, and Man's ability to influence it, can theoretically change everything you know. You wouldn't even know it."

Edited by JohnDoeLS

It's rubbish.

Any comment that start that science is the truth should be immediately distrusted. Science is the search for knowledge in the humble understanding that we can never know the truth - just make theories and models which help explain small portions of it

The bit about matter misses out the electron which is also fundamental and also in lots of the matter in the universe (well everything which has up and down quarks at least). The majority of matter in the universe probably does not have up down or electrons because it is the non-baryonic dark matter. On the idea of strange / up quarks - there is the idea of strange matter which might exists in the heart of neutron stars; but that is not gonna be in living organisms

He also said since we don't know everything so even Magic that contradict the known law might exist. Also, thanks for the input.

That's the "Yeah - but Magic..." defence. Science is what we can experiment on and theorize about - if your friend is gonna make up nonsense he should have the good grace not to try to camouflage it with sciencey buzzwords; the practice of making shit up and giving a completely false veneer of science is not only wrong it is deceitful.

Scientists know they don't know all of the answers, we know we don't even know most of the questions - but when it comes to this sort of bunkum we know one very good question "Will you show me the objective evidence please?"

And finally: if you can replace a (pseudo-science or other) explanation with "pink unicorns make this happen" without any loss of credibility because the available evidence supports both equally then you know you should search for more empirical data.

Why would you believe him anyway? Science has SO much research put into it, so many things have been proven and tested and magic has exactly 0. What's he's referring to is probably quantum leaps or some other form of unexplained quantum science stuff. It's simply that: unexplained.

If he considers everything that's unexplained as magic, then yeah, magic does exist.

(...) and an unusual one, since strange should pair with charm & down with up normally). (...)

Strange quark has charge -1/3e

Up quark and charm quark have charge +2/3e

-1/3e + 2/3e = +1/3e

giving abnormally charged meson..

Unless you/he meant something else than what you quoted here?

Meson should have one matter quark and one anti-matter quark. In such configuration, the only allowed are -1e, 0e, +1e (integer multiplies of e).

So anti-strange quark with charge +1/3e

and up/charm quark, will have +1/3e + 2/3e = +1e

Charged particles are easily detected as they leave trace in particle detectors f.e. Cloud Chamber or Bubble Chamber..

I propose an interesting combination of quarks that are composed of mostly up and strange quarks,

You/he should learn about kaons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaon

It's combination of strange and anti-up/anti-down,

or anti-strange with up/down.

Edited by Sensei

-1/3e + 2/3e = +1/3e

Meson should have one matter quark and one anti-matter quark. In such configuration, the only allowed are -1e, 0e, +1e (integer multiplies of e).

So anti-strange quark with charge +1/3e

and up/charm quark, will have +1/3e + 2/3e = +1e

Charged particles are easily detected as they leave trace in particle detectors f.e. Cloud Chamber or Bubble Chamber..

You/he should learn about kaons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaon

It's combination of strange and anti-up/anti-down,

or anti-strange with up/down.

It wasn't me, and he told a lot more nonsense; like how I can only write a compelling story only if I were to accept that magic might be real.

Edited by JohnDoeLS

-1/3e + 2/3e = +1/3e

Sensei - the idea is quantum woo but just to explain what I have seen before; the idea is that you can get heavy protons which have a strange instead of a down or a charm instead of an up etc. It is completely unempirical and hypothetical but just so you can spot it in future - know your enemy etc..

Also in generational terms up pairs with down, strange pairs with charm, and top pairs with bottom - but these are not pairs in particles just in terms of the standard model and its generations.

Sensei - the idea is quantum woo but just to explain what I have seen before; the idea is that you can get heavy protons which have a strange instead of a down or a charm instead of an up etc. It is completely unempirical and hypothetical but just so you can spot it in future - know your enemy etc..

There is quite plentiful of Baryons which have either strange or charm in their structure,

but they're very short living particles. As we can see on f.e. wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_baryons

Lambda, Sigma, Xi..

Mean-life in range ~ 10^-22 s ...10^-10 s

Also in generational terms up pairs with down, strange pairs with charm, and top pairs with bottom - but these are not pairs in particles just in terms of the standard model and its generations.

Kaon in quark model have strange with anti-up, anti-strange with up, etc.

Otherwise fractional electric charged particles would be created.

While there is made K- (S=-1) there must be also created other Kaon which will have (S=+1), to conserve Strangeness.

Edited by Sensei