Spam Elimination

If that was a potential course of action, would the forum software allow for a sub-moderator account status that had the ability to hide spam threads until a full moderator can delete it and ban the spammer?

If that was a potential course of action, would the forum software allow for a sub-moderator account status that had the ability to hide spam threads until a full moderator can delete it and ban the spammer?

No it's not a native function and swansont's already said it's a potential avenue for abuse by sockpuppets. One hole closes another opens seems to be the case with situation.

You could give the power to a selected few though? People that have been here for years and are know to be contributors and members that are trusted.... like an army of mini-mods?

No it's not a native function and swansont's already said it's a potential avenue for abuse by sockpuppets. One hole closes another opens seems to be the case with situation.

As it isn't possible, this isn't really relevant, but I thought I should clarify anyway - my thinking was more along the lines of a new category of forum user, trusted members chosen from the active userbase given an upgrade and not any Tom, Dick, or Harry newbie.

As they'd only be able to hide the spam and not actually delete the content (or even ban offending posters) as that would fall to a full moderator to do, it should help prevent any abuses of power - something that recently happened to another forum a couple of months back - and if any of the spam-hiders were found to be playing games they could easily have their privileges revoked.

But as the forum software doesn't have the capacity for that level of customisation it's a moot point. :)