Interaction, Interventions, Accidents, Coincidence . There appear to have been Notable events throughout History . Are we going through one NOW ?

Mike Smith Cosmos

There appear to have been Notable events throughout History . Are we going through one NOW ?

One could rhyme off a number of Notable events, like :-

The Big Bang , the recombination , the formation of Earth, the collision with earth by Theia ,

post-33514-0-84333600-1457784103.jpg

Life on Earth, the 65 million year ago asteroid strike , Mankind, some monumental occurrences In our history ( like World war 1 & 2 . )

We appear to be in ' something ' at this very moment ?

Self Destruction. Mass Migration . What is it ? What is going on ?

post-33514-0-02488300-1457769534_thumb.jpg post-33514-0-28846800-1457769553_thumb.jpg

post-33514-0-63932300-1457785027.jpg

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

Anthropic global warming?

Definition :-

The anthropic principle (from Greek anthropos, meaning "human") is the philosophical consideration that observations of the universe must be compatible with the conscious and sapient life that observes it.

Can you explain , quite what you mean ?

Mike

Man-made global warming, environmental changes and an associated mass extinction event. These are the notable events of today.

Where can we run for cover ?

I have a wife , four daughters, their associated male partners , their children , not to forget the Jack Russell dog .

How do I get this lot on the road , and where can we go ?

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------

Ps, I was in the financial recession , with my entourage ( family and lots of kids ) at around 1985/1992 ( ish )time . The Banks were being silly , the economy was slowing down drastically, .

I asked a friendly Bank Manager ,( at the time, and there were not that many friendly ones around then ! )

I asked , being in business , " What is one supposed to do , in these circumstances? ".

His reply was " Keep your head down ".

That's when I went back to university to relearn electronics, which had changed ( over 30-40 years), from when I started in the 1960's with slide rule and valves and separate components. It Changed to home computers , integrated circuits , embedded software in the late 1990's /2000. I trained in my late 50's to become a teacher. All my friends said " what the he-- are you doing mike , you are trying to get into teaching ! ..why? we are all trying to get out!

Man-made global warming, environmental changes and an associated mass extinction event. These are the notable events of today.

Some U.K. Reporters and documentary makers have been down to where the escape ' Rubber Boats' are coming ashore . They have found they are ordinary people trying to escape the war zone , bringing their wives and children . I think I would be doing the same if I lived in those areas.

There appears to be a need for some form of ...."Open Borders and a World Wide relief operation " ....We need to hurry , as it seems to be getting quite critical.

Nearer to England , the last time I travelled to/ from France through the Tunnel a few years ago , I saw bunches of people crouching in the Woods near the boarder post . When I asked the security police . They said , "we give them some thing, some times , and hope they go away ! " I do not think any of this is " going away "

When I attended a ' New Scientist ' conference in London , a few years ago. Sponsored by Microsoft. The presenters spoke of the 5 or 6 drivers in society , such as the economy , population , etc

and the " difference in the ' have nots ' to ' the have's ' was presented as a future Driver. The ' have nots ' will come to 'the haves ' . When asked how to handle this 6 th Driver , the last of the major drivers of society , his reply , ( which he said ' I was hoping you would not ask for that one ' )

which I remember to this day .

'You have no choice ' YOU HAVE TO GIVE THEM WHAT THEY ASK FOR ' *

In the distant past , animals needed to be free to Roam across vast distances , and continents, to migrate and survive . Similarly , for the animals , the means to survive , food and shelter was Free .

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned from History in here somewhere.

Mike

* It was asked at the conference " Why do we have no choice ? " the answer given

" because , if you do not give them what they ask for , they, in the end , will just take it ! "

BBC. Report how families, men , women , and children are trying to find there way across streams and rivers , from Troubled areas, through Greece to Macedonia in order to escape , because of untenable living conditions for the migrating families, at the border to Europe . They are trying to find alternative ways into Europe as part of their flight from the War zone . These people are fellow humans who look like any one of us , with husband , wife , child with toy , even Baby .They 'must ' be allowed to flee from , what they fear for them selves and family, is a dangerous place to be! Surely !

post-33514-0-92609800-1457996193_thumb.jpg

Mike

BBC. Report how families, men , women , and children are trying to find there way across streams from Troubled areas, through Greece to Macedonia in order to escape , untenable living conditions at the border to Europe . Trying to find alternative ways into Europe as part of their flight from the War zone . These people are fellow humans who look like any one of us , with husband , wife , child with toy , even Baby .They must be allowed to flee from , what they fear is a dangerous place to be! Surely !

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Mike

And this is notable in what way? Hasn't basically all of history been like this?

And this is notable in what way? Hasn't basically all of history been like this?

Well yes , I suppose a case could be made , that from the beginning of human history , ' mans inhumanity to man, ' has always been present.

However , it does seem a bit of a coincidence , that it is reaching a rather significant peak at the time other conditions are peaking . Like human population explosion, use of natural resources, human scientific development and achievement, looking and reaching for the stars , etc, etc. and now almost daily news reports from around the world that , things are far from ' all right ' .

Mike

Isn't this more a function of having near-instantaneous, far-reaching communication?

Well yes , I am sure this communication does make us receive a near instantaneous view and thus big impact of what is happening .

But none the less , these things are still happening , and it does illuminate the ' concurrency ' of events .

Perhaps ,up through history it would take decades for the true picture of what was happening throughout the world , to reach an historian or writers of philosophical thought to make things public.

However my understanding of feedback in electronics is that :- fast rise times , yes , can overshoot. Then fall cyclically to the ambient , real ,level . And damped or slow rise times can creep gently up to the True ambient real level of signal . They none the less ultimately reach the same ambient level. ( truth-will-out ) .

Perhaps in historic times it was difficult to fix things , as it was too late before people knew what was going on. Today we know practically as it happens. Certainly within 24 hrs.( with Humanity issues) , perhaps years ( for Geoligical issues) . Either way today (We) are in a position to know all the facts and (we ) in a sort of condition to do something about it.

Unfortunately , the rate of response seems inversely proportional to the size of the organisation that has assumed responsibility. If that is correct , we need a small rapid response organisation ( with the clout and facilities) , set up to do world wide emergency rescue instantly . A bit like Helicopter Rescue , but on a much more massive scale ! May be the 'political baggage', gets in the way . I suppose the charities fit this brief , but they may have their hands tied, by again organisational size , finance or regulations . Or just not set up for these type of international disasters .

We need ' Superman ' !

Mike

The Anthropocene is a proposed epoch that begins when human activities started to have a significant global impact on Earth's geology and ecosystems.[1][2][3] Neither the International Commission on Stratigraphy nor the International Union of Geological Sciences has yet officially approved the term as a recognized subdivision of geological time.[3][4][5]

The term "Anthropocene"—which appears to have been used by Soviet scientists as early as the 1960s[6] to refer to the Quaternary, the most recent geological period—was used with a different sense in the 1980s[7] by ecologist Eugene F. Stoermer and has been widely popularized by atmospheric chemist Paul J. Crutzen, who regards the influence of human behavior on Earth's atmosphere in recent centuries as so significant as to constitute a new geological epoch for its lithosphere. A January 2016 paper in Science investigating climatic, biological, and geochemical signatures of human activity in sediments and ice cores suggested the era since the mid-20th century should be recognised as a distinct geological epoch from the Holocene.[8]

This is one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind. Neil Armstrong

We are going into space, which I think is historic, but not an accident. There are currently plans by the

Russia plans to put a man on the moon by 2030, and the Europeans want a piece of the action.

China hopes to put a man on the moon by 2030.

Mars.One plans to put people on Mars sometime after 2025.

popsci.com reports Golden Spike, a Hawaiian company is selling trips to the moon for $750M.

NASA is babbling about a trip to Mars and back, but currently Congress won't fund such a thing. Although, with Russia and China making plans, they might stand up, rest their brains a moment, and do something for a change.

Several of you have mentioned the ANTHROPOCENE as being a possible designated term for our present era .

Wikipedia has a whole entry discussing ANTHROPOCENE ,

Quote " The human impact on biodiversity forms one of the primary attributes of the Anthropocene. Humankind has entered what is sometimes called the Earth's sixth major extinction. "

An image they propose demonstrates this likely effect follows :-

post-33514-0-14072900-1458081764_thumb.jpg

If an outside observer were to 'home in ' on our current situation , would a close inspection , show the human race to be a good ' house keeper ' ?

And therefor say " Carry on , you are doing fine ". Or " Your Global society , is in danger of well and truly spoiling your Earth, you really need to change . PDQ (Pretty Darn Quick . ) "

Mike

PS.

As previously quoted by EdEarl. And AJB Wikipedia ..link :- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropocene

Hah, sprayed my screen with coffee. That is gold.

I personally thought the AlphaGo Victory was a notable event (certainly a giant leap for AI).

Hah, sprayed my screen with coffee. That is gold.

I personally thought the AlphaGo Victory was a notable event (certainly a giant leap for AI).

Yeah - I remember before the series of matches between Deep Blue and Kasparov (I think I have those names right) that a commentator claimed that it was unlikely to see a Chess grand-master of Kasparov's talent being beaten moreover that a Go grand-master would not be beaten within any of our lifetimes

Tonight a BBC ' Horizon Presentation ' revealed a coincidence for our time .

A researcher in Russia .. Dimitri Iscoff in conjunction with Prof . Kahall . Are building an Android with the mental. capacity similar to a Human being . They mention the equivalent in electronics of 80,000,000,000 storage and processing cells. Which they state is coincidentally , to , a similar capacity as the Human Brain.

Dimitri believes it might be possible to transfer his life to a metallic devise , which he says in Theory he may be able to live for Ever.

The Coincidence being that , Now , is the time it is possible to have the capability to build a female looking android ( metallic ) , with the same capacity of the human mind (Physical Brain cells ) . They even showed us what she looked like ! ( quite Cute ! )

Mike

Ps . There was talk of transferring the experience in the opposite direction , as the Female android has already been taught quite a bit already ! Eek ! Watch out you might be smiling at an android !

Tonight a BBC ' Horizon Presentation ' revealed a coincidence for our time .

A researcher in Russia .. Dimitri Iscoff in conjunction with Prof . Kahall . Are building an Android with the mental. capacity similar to a Human being . They mention the equivalent in electronics of 80,000,000,000 storage and processing cells. Which they state is coincidentally , to , a similar capacity as the Human Brain.

Dimitri believes it might be possible to transfer his life to a metallic devise , which he says in Theory he may be able to live for Ever.

The Coincidence being that , Now , is the time it is possible to have the capability to build a female looking android ( metallic ) , with the same capacity of the human mind (Physical Brain cells ) . They even showed us what she looked like ! ( quite Cute ! )

Mike

Ps . There was talk of transferring the experience in the opposite direction , as the Female android has already been taught quite a bit already ! Eek ! Watch out you might be smiling at an android !

IMO this adventure will succeed in about 50 years because ATM computing power is insufficient and understanding of biological systems that need to be simulated is inadequate.

I remember when Horizon used to be a pretty decent documentary series. Nowadays it seems to be filled with swirling camera shots, dramatic music, meaningful pauses, about half of one side of A4 of portentous words, and almost no science. It's a shame.

I remember when Horizon used to be a pretty decent documentary series. Nowadays it seems to be filled with swirling camera shots, dramatic music, meaningful pauses, about half of one side of A4 of portentous words, and almost no science. It's a shame.

This ^

search iPlayer for Science Now and get the following page

post-32514-0-58849100-1458225870_thumb.jpg

Kinda says it all really

Meanwhile , as reported this morning , the migration ' log Jam' coming from The war zone areas, in the Middle East , in an attempt to reach Europe :-

They are getting more and more desperate for food and the ability to take their families , more on into Europe .

post-33514-0-48365400-1458253497_thumb.jpg. post-33514-0-06712400-1458253584_thumb.jpg

About this situation :- one can not help but recall .." Nero Fiddled while Rome Burned. "

To quote the Google Display of this sentiment :- Quote " Nero fiddling while rome burns.Google

According to a well-known expression, Rome's emperor at the time, the decadent and unpopular Nero, fiddled while Rome burned. The expression has a double meaning: Not only did Nero play music while his people suffered, but he was an ineffectual leader in a time of crisis.20 Nov 2012

post-33514-0-23404800-1458254457.jpg

Unquote "

Mike