Waveform Machinery

Scienceally09

There are many types of waveforms that exist in the today.

Longitudinal waves

Transverse waves

Surface waves

Is there any machinery that can capture any of these waves

more specifically these types

SoundWaves

SquareWaves

SineWaves

ElectroMagnetic Waves

Anything that you guys know of that can capture or see how these waves look in action.

All in the name of science! thanks in advance!

Square waves and sine waves are a shape, rather than a type. But yes, you can "capture" waves (measure them) and see how they look. For electromagnetic waves you could use an antenna and an oscilloscope, and see oscillations as long as they are within the range of your detection equipment. For sound waves you would use a microphone.

Anything that you guys know of that can capture or see how these waves look in action.

Yeah we take a material which reacts to the wave for instance with light we can use a photodiode. Then we convert the changes in the circuit into numbers. These numbers were then displayed an oscillograph which later became the oscilloscope. So we take the numbers as they appear and plot them on a graph this makes our wave whatever this wave may be.

Edited by fiveworlds

There are places where these waves are measured with more accuracy. I know there are better ways to understand, see these waves than a oscilloscope or a microphone. Can the science allies :) ..help me some and give me places where Physicist's or..people who study these sciences measure any of these waves. Or at least help with a formula to measure square and sinewaves myself by any-means. As for sound waves i would like to know the amplitude as well as frequency modulation.

Science be with you.

Have you looked at/played with a wave tank? If you google "standing wave tank" you'll find some ideas.
Chiladni plates are a good way to visualize some kinds of sound waves.
For an idea of the difference between square waves and sine waves a good enough simulation is a light switch with a dimmer.
When the light goes on quickly stays on a short time, and turns off quickly that is approximately a square wave.
If you turn the dimmer brighter and dimmer periodically and continuously, that is approximately a sine wave.

Waves are great fun. You can even study them in the kitchen sink.