Is there anything that attracts energy?

Bruno da Silva

Yeah concave lenses focus light on a point.

That's not an attraction, though. That's an effect of light changing speed in a medium coupled with the proper geometry of that medium. And photons are not energy, though they have energy.

That's not an attraction, though. That's an effect of light changing speed in a medium coupled with the proper geometry of that medium. And photons are not energy, though they have energy.

Medium doesn't increase energy of photons. Sticking together of laser beams increases energy of their photons.

Medium doesn't increase energy of photons.

Right, it doesn't. I don't see that it was suggested otherwise.

Sticking together of laser beams increases energy of their photons.

Um, no. You increase the number of photons, but the energy of each photon from the laser stays the same.

Um, no. You increase the number of photons, but the energy of each photon from the laser stays the same.

I don't think an approaching of photons increases their number. I think any increase of energy concentration increases energy of approaching( to each other) particles,though the increasing energy is tiny.

I don't think an approaching of photons increases their number. I think any increase of energy concentration increases energy of approaching( to each other) particles,though the increasing energy is tiny.

He didn't mean that it creates new photons. He meant that it redirects some photons so they all hit the same point, which increases the number of photons that hit that point (by decreasing the number that hit other points) and therefore increases the amount of energy that that point receives.

But the energy is increased because more photons are hitting it. The amount delivered by each photon remains the same.

He didn't mean that it creates new photons. He meant that it redirects some photons so they all hit the same point, which increases the number of photons that hit that point (by decreasing the number that hit other points) and therefore increases the amount of energy that that point receives.

But the energy is increased because more photons are hitting it. The amount delivered by each photon remains the same.

How does that relate to attraction of laser beams?

If the original poster or other person stands barefoot on a hill in a thunder storm and holds a long pointed metal rod up high there is a fair chance of attracting lightning and said lightning has energetic properties sufficient to extinguish quite a few life forms in the immediate vicinity.

How does that relate to attraction of laser beams?

You're going to have to do a better job of describing the effect you're thinking of. Especially important when it's a new area of discussion with no context.

If the original poster or other person stands barefoot on a hill in a thunder storm and holds a long pointed metal rod up high there is a fair chance of attracting lightning and said lightning has energetic properties sufficient to extinguish quite a few life forms in the immediate vicinity.

Still not attraction of energy. You're facilitating a current flow, which has energy, but is not itself energy.

Like swansont says, energy is not a thing itself and so the question of attracting it is not so well stated.

We have things called heat pumps. But I do not think this is quite the same as 'attracting' energy. I also wonder if one could say something in terms of the second law of thermodynamics for closed systems, rephrased as the minimal energy principal. But again, this is may not quite be 'attracting' energy.

Still not attraction of energy. You're facilitating a current flow, which has energy, but is not itself energy.

I was facilitating facetiousness and echoing wording in your post #2, not claiming an attraction of energy.