what is spacetime made of?

tesso_messor

hey so ive had this idea running through my head for a while now if relativity is true then spacetime has to have mass and if does then what is it made of? if it has mass then why cant we see it? why dont we know tis there? i believe that it is a simple solution. it is dark matter plain and simple. dark matter is not just dark matter but gravity and gravity is dark matter its similar to spacetime where space and time are not seperate but one and the same. just like dark matter and gravity. not diffrent but the same. and so it makes alot of sence why we have trouble finding dark matter. and the only reason we really know its there in the first place even though its invisible is that it distorts light but i think it dosent distort light tlike glass or anything like that i think the idea of dark matter is not correct. because it is not matter at all but just a high concentration of gravity in a single area. so if u think of it like that spacetime if it is dark matter then its actually just gravity and so gravity is spacetime.

We don't think of space-time being made of anything, certainly not 'material'. Space-time is just space-time and has proved to be a very useful concept in physics. Similarly people don't ask what the electromagnetic field is made of, it is 'is'. Again, it is a very useful concept in physics.

Why do you think space time must have mass? Your idea hangs on this and I don't think it's true.

For sure it is not true that space-time must have mass, but you can have pure gravitational configurations that have energy and so mass. As you know the concepts of mass and energy in general relativity are subtle.

Anyway, the rest of the post is in my opinion a non-starter.

Edited by ajb

Mancunian? I learned something today.

I didn't know cotton was cultivated around Manchester.

Cultivated? No far too cold and wet. But much of the industrial revolution was seeded in the Cotton Mills of the North West and Manchester in particular.

Come to think about it much of the political revolution of the 20th century has its roots there as well; the first Cooperative Society was there, Marx and Engels met there and were massively influenced by Engels writings on Manchester Industrialization, and The Pankhurst family who were hugely important within the Brittish Suffragette movement.

• 3 weeks later...

i believe that it is a simple solution. it is dark matter plain and simple. dark matter is not just dark matter but gravity and gravity is dark matter its similar to spacetime where space and time are not seperate but one and the same.

Well I had to read that last phrase three times before I got it... I don't think you can assume space-time is dark matter. First, we don't know much about dark matter and we only theorise its use. Second dark matter is supposed to be a type of matter that is undetectable and the only thing it does is have a gravitational field. Also, space time isn't something, it's the entire "volume" of our universe, it's not a flat sheet of paper. I think it's hard to explain, but it is not something, it is where everything exists.

I think a good comparaison would be a game. Take a sandbox game and create a completely empty world. The world is now "space time". It's not something, it's somewhere everything else can exist.