Entanglement And What Is Inside A Black Hole

noanns

Hi! I am a photography student from Argentina, with no knowledge of physics or math. I like learning what I can from the cosmos on the internet. Lately I’ve been very interested on supersymmetry, string theory and entanglement. I saw a class by Leonard Susskind about black holes on YouTube were he states that two particles are entangled, one inside the black hole and the other one outside. What I could understand about entanglement is that when you make a measurement on an entangled particle you know that the reading on the other particle is the opposite. So, my question is, how do physicsts know which particle is entangled to which particle, as in how do they know that the particle from the outside of the black hole is entagled to the particle inside the black hole? And, what do they learn from this particles?

I want to thank everybody in advanced who took the time to read my question. I am aware that I may be over simplifying quantum physics due to my lack of theoretical knowledge, I don’t even understand calculus. Thanks you, I hope somebody can provide an interesting answer!

Actually if he is referring to Hawking radiation the two particles are created on the outside of the EH. One particle falls in the other escapes.

You don't know the state's until you measure one of the entangled particles. The other particle will have the opposite state.

Hi! I am a photography student from Argentina, with no knowledge of physics or math. I like learning what I can from the cosmos on the internet. Lately Ive been very interested on supersymmetry, string theory and entanglement. I saw a class by Leonard Susskind about black holes on YouTube were he states that two particles are entangled, one inside the black hole and the other one outside. What I could understand about entanglement is that when you make a measurement on an entangled particle you know that the reading on the other particle is the opposite. So, my question is, how do physicsts know which particle is entangled to which particle, as in how do they know that the particle from the outside of the black hole is entagled to the particle inside the black hole? And, what do they learn from this particles?

I want to thank everybody in advanced who took the time to read my question. I am aware that I may be over simplifying quantum physics due to my lack of theoretical knowledge, I dont even understand calculus. Thanks you, I hope somebody can provide an interesting answer!

If you're not talking about Hawking radiation as Mordred mentioned it would be an interesting question. My understanding of quantum entanglement is poor but afaik entanglement is still limited by the speed of light and so if you have two entangled particles and send one of them past the event horizon you won't see any effect on the other particle regardless of what's going on in the black hole. But I'd love for professionals to clarify this for both of us.

There are (apparently) some interesting correspondences between entanglement and (theoretical) wormholes between black holes, which may have been what he was talking about. But that is about the limit of my knowledge on the subject.

I am not an expert but from my knowledge you have to make entangled particles simultaneously together and they are then made with opposite properties, like if one was black then the other would be white.

If you pick one of them randomly and send it into a black hole and then later examine the one you have left, you would thus know the color of the one inside the black hole too, since if you have the black one in your hand it must be the white one that went into the black hole and vice versa.

AFAIK they would not be able to extract any information out from the inside of a black hole this way.

To my understanding, entangled particles can be made at different instants.

Take 3s->2p->1s transitions: the first photon's polarization relates with the 2p orbital polarization, which then determines the polarization of the second photon - but the second photon can take a delay to emit, and the 2p polarization is undertermined until an event forces it, at the orbital or at one photon. If both photons are already emitted (because you detect the second one at its own wavelength), the electron is fully determined on 1s.

¡Bienvenido aquí, noanns!

Edited by Enthalpy

It may also have to do with the information loss paradox.

If you lose one particle of an entangled pair into an event horizon, information about that particle 'seems' to be lost, yet it is still captured in the other particle that didn't cross the event horizon.

That is assuming entanglement is effective across the event horizon, because as Pavel stated, you would need superluminal speeds to convey information across an event horizon.

Could you post a link to Susskind's video ?