Phun Physics Puzzle

CasualKilla

But it doesn't depend on the tail. It's about changing moment of inertia from extending/retracting legs, and the ability to have different rotational axes for front and back

(FF to the 2:30 mark, if you want to skip several drops before the explanation)

I was thinking about a zero g environment, where the spinning tail would be the simplest solution.

Look at the cats trying to figure it out here, silly cats.

Edited by CasualKilla

That is because the cats are too stupid, trust me it works

Trust you to know that using your tail to orient yourself correctly in zero-g is the simplest solution?! I don't think so. I'm going to go with the creatures who have more experience with both.

That is because the cats are too stupid, trust me it works

I'll go with the cats, that control the precession about other axes while counter rotating about the main one, enabling them to land on all four feet in best orientation.

You can't do that by simply spinning your tail.

You are all wrong since you are assuming the cats are trying to orientate in a certain direction, when in-fact they are still trying to figure out which side it up. If we asked Usane Bolt why he ran so fast, and he said because I do backwards running exercises to build up neglected muscle area, but several biologists say that that type of training actually slows you down because you build up extra weight that is not used in forward running. (this is all made up, but hopefully u get my point). Do you believe Usane because he is the fastest man in the world, or do you believe the biologists who spend there life studying the human body?

#wrecked

Edited by CasualKilla

You are all wrong since you are assuming the cats are trying to orientate in a certain direction, when in-fact they are still trying to figure out which side it up. If we asked Usane Bolt why he ran so fast, and he said because I do backwards running exercises to build up neglected muscle area, but several biologists say that that type of training actually slows you down because you build up extra weight that is not used in forward running. (this is all made up, but hopefully u get my point). Do you believe Usane because he is the fastest man in the world, or do you believe the biologists who spend there life studying the human body?

#wrecked

Are you claiming to be the equivalent of "the biologists who spend there(sic) life studying the human body"?

When did you get your PhD? (and why, given your "expertise", were you asking fairly simple questions about magnetism just a few weeks ago?)

Because I was not born with the understanding of electromagnetism, we all have to start somewhere don't we? All I am claiming is to be smarter than a cat, why so hostile?

Because I was not born with the understanding of electromagnetism, we all have to start somewhere don't we? All I am claiming is to be smarter than a cat, why so hostile?

Hostile? Just curious as to how you are so confident you are right, even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

Hi KC

No one is trying to imply cat's are smarter. It is just that they have evolved to land on 4 feet very effectively and very efficiently. A simpler method of merely rotating the tail does not achieve the same result. Their instinctive method is actually very clever and a little complicated, even if they have no real understanding of what they are doing.