time of last login

The time of your last login informs you of whether anybody else has obtained your password, and possibly passwords to other more important accounts. Does SFN remember this information? Can we access it from our accounts?

Type in the Search box a member's username, then where it says 'This Topic' click on that and choose 'Members' in the dropdown list. Hit the green button. Click on the name and you should see when they were last active under their username, top left. To find your own just click your username...you can do that for other members as well in-thread.

post-14463-0-95608200-1426874490.jpg

Edited by StringJunky

Be warned I find this information highly unreliable.

Software glitches ensure inconsistencies between the various times presented.

You can often see a post attributed to a member who was also recorded as having logged out 3 minutes earlier.

If you two (or more) members are shown as viewing a thread at the bottom, this does not change for a long time after one logs out.

I have often scrambled to post a reply whilst I thought the other guy was still online, only to find he had logged out a quarter or half an hour before I finally posted.

Type in the Search box a member's username, then where it says 'This Topic' click on that and choose 'Members' in the dropdown list. Hit the green button. Click on the name and you should see when they were last active under their username, top left. To find your own just click your username...you can do that for other members as well in-thread.

attachicon.gifSJ.JPG

That's not what I want.

IP address might be nice too! Maybe have it optional! :P

I think logins could probably be tracked more reliably.

If you two (or more) members are shown as viewing a thread at the bottom, this does not change for a long time after one logs out.

I have often scrambled to post a reply whilst I thought the other guy was still online, only to find he had logged out a quarter or half an hour before I finally posted.

That's quite normal behavior of WWW software.

Forum software doesn't know that somebody closed his/her web browser without pressing Sign Out (who is doing it every time? Nobody).

And person is automatically logged off after a while of inactivity by forum software (it's periodically checking last activity of every user, and if current time minus last activity time is higher than some threshold, user is automatically logged out).

The time of your last login informs you of whether anybody else has obtained your password, and possibly passwords to other more important accounts. Does SFN remember this information? Can we access it from our accounts?

There should be history of at least 10 last logging in, with start date & time, and length of activity, and IP of each logging.

Edited by Sensei

...I have often scrambled to post a reply whilst I thought the other guy was still online, only to find he had logged out a quarter or half an hour before I finally posted.

I don't think of SFN as a live-in-the-moment chatroom, like Facebook etc, so I don't feel any rush to respond. I treat its pace more as an enduring repository for people's answers and considered thoughts. Notice how many times people bring up long-dead threads.

Edited by StringJunky

• 1 month later...