A Water Tax?

Airbrush

Would you rather lawns survive or people do? The math on this is not hard, IMO.

You're right, of course. The last time we had similar restrictions, everyone's lawns withered. It's ugly, but they'll come back, unlike dead people. And a certain percentage of the people will hate the look so much they'll replace their greedy lawns with something more sustainable, and beautiful, imo.

When you think about it, lawns are kind of dumb. You work so hard to make them grow so you can cut them down every week.If you don't have kids to play on them, lawns are pretty wasteful.

You're right, of course. The last time we had similar restrictions, everyone's lawns withered. It's ugly, but they'll come back, unlike dead people. And a certain percentage of the people will hate the look so much they'll replace their greedy lawns with something more sustainable, and beautiful, imo.

When you think about it, lawns are kind of dumb. You work so hard to make them grow so you can cut them down every week.If you don't have kids to play on them, lawns are pretty wasteful.

Agreed that lawns are water-pits. I was not aware that a lawn can die during a heat wave in the Austin area, and come back when they are allowed to water lawns only ONCE a week. Are there still ANY lawns in the area?

What I propose is a very small lawn near the house, but 90% of the landscape returned to natural local vegetation with nice looking rocks between them.

Water Tax!!! Is simply wrong. Why can anyone be taxed on a basic human right. Our bodies are around 50% to 65% water and we need it to live.

What about when people are using it in volumes which are orders of magnitude higher than what is required to live and survive as beings with bodies largely composed of water, even in drought plagued environments where supplies are dwindling like where I live?

What about when people are using it in volumes which are orders of magnitude higher than what is required to live and survive as beings with bodies largely composed of water, even in drought plagued environments where supplies are dwindling like where I live?

I have some neighbors down the street who have ten kids and seven cars. The only time I see the whole family together (they home-school the kids and don't mix much with anyone else) is when they wash their cars by hand.

I get it, big family, lots of idle hands, why spend $6 per car at the ultra-efficient car wash five blocks away when you can haul out the hose and soap and use cheap water from your own tap to get the job done? They did this even when the city had watering restrictions for lawns during our last drought (the city didn't place restrictions on car washing because most folks use the machine wash when they fill up with gas, or the bay washes with the wands and special soaps and waxes).

I think a water tax is the best way to target those who use more than necessary. It's smart and surgical, and it puts the burden where it needs to be and rewards those who conserve instead of those who just claim to be conservative.

Water Tax!!! Is simply wrong. Why can anyone be taxed on a basic human right. Our bodies are around 50% to 65% water and we need it to live.

The "water tax" is already here in California. It is a 1000% tax on farmers compared to the water price of only a few years ago. I am paying a 100% water tax compared to my water cost only a few years ago. It is just not noticeable considering how cheap water was only a few years ago. And water is STILL relatively cheap.

The best way is global population control. The world NEEDS to reach zero population growth (ZPG) soon, or we face future wars over water. And that can mean civil wars between STATES, as well as wars between nations.

Edited by Airbrush

I just realized that many single-family homes have lawns with manual sprinklers, as I do. A few days ago I watered my front lawn at night, because I forgot to water my lawn in the morning. We are allowed to water lawns ONLY Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I usually leave the sprinklers on for about 8 MINUTES, 3 times a week, during hot weather. This time I forgot to turn OFF the sprinklers before going to bed. The sprinklers were on continuously for 9 HOURS !!! I don't think forgetting to turn off sprinklers is among the items for a $500 fine, because it was not intentional. How many other homeowners accidentally forget to turn off their sprinklers and waste huge amounts of water?

It will be very interesting to see my next water bill.

Maybe homeowners that insist on maintaining a green lawn (water pit), such as myself, should be required to install automatic timer so we cannot overwater again. If the drought drags on much longer, that may become an issue. Walking my dog around my neighborhood I notice only about 1 in 8 homeowners maintain a green front lawn. 7/8 of homeowners have opted to let the front lawn die. It's the new "dead-brown" look for lawns.

Maybe homeowners that insist on maintaining a green lawn (water pit), such as myself, should be required to install automatic timer so we cannot overwater again.

I replaced an old clockwork type timer with a digital timer last year. Piece of cake, minimal expense, never again get a bill like you're going to get next month.