Starting a lab for my daughter. Input appreciated!!!

Crimson

Well I'm new here and this is my first post, so I hope I picked the right place to post this. My daughter is turning 6 in about two weeks. For her birthday I asked her what educational things she would like that she wants to learn about and would find fun. She specifically told me she wanted to learn about DNA, more about life cycles (plants and animals), etc. and she asked me for a microscope. Then she blurted out that she really wanted her own science lab.

I am going to give a bit of background on my daughter so maybe my questions could be easily answered. My daughter has been watching documentaries with me voluntarily from the age of about 3 1/2. She loves all things dinosaurs and is very knowledgable about them, including their eating preferances, names, etc. I was watching a documentary with her about ecosystems. At this time she was about 4 1/2. She specifically asked me what would happen to the ecosystem (in her words) if all of one type of animal or organism disappeared. I'm mentioning this because I'm not sure a kid at that age normally would have the comprehension or presence of mind to even think of a question like that.

Anyhow, because it is educational and she got so excited I decided to get her a table and chair for her own lab area, along with microscope, slides, slide covers, a box to keep permanent slides in, lab coat, safety glasses, disposable gloves, trash can, desk lamp, etc. I also got her a mini indoor greenhouse kit with seeds for the tickle me plant, a DNA kit, a science experiment book, and a microscope book. She is also getting an ant farm. I still need to pick up a lab journal. I realize this might be a bit overkill for a 6 year old's birthday but I am excited to see her so excited about this and really want to encourage her love of science.

With all that said, I would not let her store unsafe chemicals or instruments in her room and would obviously be helping with experiments, reading, and journaling. What I am wanting to know is, is there anything else that I should add to what I've already purchased to get her started? I am trying to keep this as child safe as possible while keeping it challenging. I realize she is young still, but she does tend to ask me questions about things I am learning in college classes.

I am going to rearrange her room so her 2x4 ft. lab desk will be in there (along with storage cart). Also Some of the things I ordered say they are for ages 8 or 9+ (the books and DNA kit specifically) but I felt that with the scope of questions she asks me and random facts she tells me that the books and things for younger kids would not hold her attention as much. Am I on the right track here?

I tried looking online for kid science lab setups and tried several word combinations but couldn't find anything suggesting what would be sufficient to start with or how to decorate the surrounding area to make it seem like an actual lab. I want to make it feel as authentic for her as I possibly can. I would have listed the specific microscope, DNA kit, and books I ordered but think I saw someone flagged for doing that. Sorry for the long ramble! But I feel like I had to get that out there in order to get some good suggestions. And thanks for reading!

● Tweezers

● Magnet

● Magnifying glass

● Eyedropper

● pH paper

● Thermometer

● Ruler (metric & standard)

● Test tubes & stand

● Graduated cylinder (measuring cup)

● Funnel

● Scale/balance

● Beakers/flasks

● Notebook (pen, pencil, colored pencils, etcetera)

Maybe get her a camcorder, so that she could record the ant farm and then observe it (sped up) in the case that she is away. Your daughter sounds very capable for that age, and extremely good on you for supporting her interests and progress like this! She might be interested in looking through bio textbooks, or maybe more so watching lectures online like at MIT open-courseware, but that would depend on her language comprehension level. Also, depending on your location you might have a DIY Bio-hackerspace around, which are rare, but labs that people interested in biology hang around at and offer classes and allow to use their equipment for projects at the lab.

Awesome. Thanks so much for the feedback! It's hard because I've been looking for stuff that's more science/less toy like but as safe as possible. I've only taken an intro to environmental science course and geology course so I would be learning a lot along with her. There's so much she's interested in that it's almost overwhelming lol. I was talking to my environmental prof. because that was about the time that the thing with the documentary happened, and he actually told me I could bring her to class with me. She loved it! It was kind of weird that semester. I was doing my homework and what not but not really talking about the stuff I was learning in that class, but every time we started on a new topic she would start asking me questions, and it always pertained to what I was learning about. There for a while I was starting to wonder if she was psychic. lol.

As to Geology, you can gather the following items for your daughter to determine hardness of a mineral either in the lab or the field.

Fingernail 2.0 - 2.5

Copper penny 3.0 (you need an older penny that is copper or some copper wire)

Nail 4.0

Glass 5.5

Knife blade 5.0 - 6.5

Steel file 6.5

Streak plate 6.5 - 7.0 (unglazed white tile)

Quartz 7.0

source

That's a great idea! I might try to get ahold of my professor and see if I can buy an extra kit off of him. I need to look around, I think I saved my lab book with my daughter in mind but I'm not sure where it might be. One thing I did want to ask about was the table. I couldn't justify the purchase of an actual lab table, so the one I purchased has a gray stain resistant/scratch resistant surface. It's a height adjustable school activity table. I was wondering if there is some kind of chemical resistant paint that I could coat the top of it with? Or do I not need to worry about that for quite a while? Also I found this really awesome entomology kit that included the chemical to euthanize the insect, gathering tools, display kit, etc. She is always asking to collect insects. And while I probably won't pick that up for her right now is that something you think would be ok to do with a child at this age or do you think collecting bugs and displaying them in that manner would be traumatizing?

Edited by Crimson

That's a great idea! I might try to get ahold of my professor and see if I can buy an extra kit off of him. I need to look around, I think I saved my lab book with my daughter in mind but I'm not sure where it might be.

:)

One thing I did want to ask about was the table. I couldn't justify the purchase of an actual lab table, so the one I purchased has a gray stain resistant/scratch resistant surface. It's a height adjustable school activity table. I was wondering if there is some kind of chemical resistant paint that I could coat the top of it with? Or do I not need to worry about that for quite a while?

I would think that paint would be more susceptible to damage than what you have. School activity grade sounds pretty good for what you and your daughter will be doing.

Also I found this really awesome entomology kit that included the chemical to euthanize the insect, gathering tools, display kit, etc. She is always asking to collect insects. And while I probably won't pick that up for her right now is that something you think would be ok to do with a child at this age or do you think collecting bugs and displaying them in that manner would be traumatizing?

We used to collect bugs on pins at that age, but you may want to sound her out on the issue before getting the equipment. If she's game, fit her up. Photographing bugs can be rewarding as a collection and no harm no foul. Here's a good ID site: >> Bug Guide . net

If the idea of euthanising the insects doesn't sit well with her, there's always the option of just getting her a bug catcher. She can still observe them and try to identify them and at that age, she may get more enjoyment out of watching how they move around and behave anyway.

If either of you has a smartphone, I recommend a free app called Flutter: Butterfly Sanctuary. I know it's available for iPhone, and I have the Android version. Learn as you play and grow your own sanctuary. Great game for a budding lepidopterophile.

As CharonY mentioned, this will get her interested in going outside to make her own observations. My daughter even volunteered at the local butterfly sanctuary this summer.

There are many types of science and labs. It sounds like your daughter has curiosity leading towards biology and animals/dinosaurs.

I think many science kits would be apt for someone 6 years of age, but the best place to find what equipment to get her is by participating in her fun and seeing what she likes.

With an interest in biology I might encourage medical posters for her bedroom wall, perhaps something akin to...

lungsm.jpg

Another thing is to examine where she learned her Dinosaur knowledge. If it turns out she has a really good book, then perhaps you can look at more from the same authors.

In any lab the most important things are safety goggles, and if you are 6 years old then you definitely need a lab coat (any Halloween store).

Also.. even if you are made of money equipment costs can vary, so start with lower end supplies and watch her avenues of interest.

Be careful to explain fire concepts and that you must be present for any experiments involving fire or chemicals.

You sound like a good parent though, so you'll find what you need.

It would be interesting to hear how you resolved this..

Edited by barfbag

As a general note, I would be wary of buying a lab coat from a costume store if you are intending to use it as an actual lab coat. Probably not so bad if it's for the types of low level experiments a 6 year old might be involved in, but worth taking into consideration if she continues with more involved experiments as she gets older. The costume store variety are likely made of polyester or cotton blends and are probably not treated in the same way that actual lab coats are to make them flame retardant and resistant to things like melting. Not an ideal quality for a piece of protective gear, but again, for a 6 year old doing mostly biology experiments it may be alright.

Yes. I agree with above poster, but could not think of many places that make lab coats in such a small size. I suppose you could commission one or ... There must be some really tiny lab coats for sale someplace.

Again though I suggest starting at low end (costume shop) and progressing with her interests. If in the scenario she is using volatile chemicals or conducting some other dangerous experiments then I would retract my comment about good parenting. Some things are better learned via video at that age.

I suggest the lab coat is important because children love role playing, and if I gave one of my children a lab coat and a microscope I'm sure they would put the coat on first. Might also make for some cute photo ops.

Edited by barfbag

As a general note, I would be wary of buying a lab coat from a costume store if you are intending to use it as an actual lab coat. Probably not so bad if it's for the types of low level experiments a 6 year old might be involved in, but worth taking into consideration if she continues with more involved experiments as she gets older. The costume store variety are likely made of polyester or cotton blends and are probably not treated in the same way that actual lab coats are to make them flame retardant and resistant to things like melting. Not an ideal quality for a piece of protective gear, but again, for a 6 year old doing mostly biology experiments it may be alright.

Yes. I agree with above poster, but could not think of many places that make lab coats in such a small size. I suppose you could commission one or ... There must be some really tiny lab coats for sale someplace.

Again though I suggest starting at low end (costume shop) and progressing with her interests. If in the scenario she is using volatile chemicals or conducting some other dangerous experiments then I would retract my comment about good parenting. Some things are better learned via video at that age.

I suggest the lab coat is important because children love role playing, and if I gave one of my children a lab coat and a microscope I'm sure they would put the coat on first. Might also make for some cute photo ops.

The lab coat and goggles have very specific functions as protective gear. I would discourage using them outside of these situations, especially if there is a chance that she may want to become a student in an actual lab at some point. If she is used to wear them for fun it may put her in the wrong mindset. Likewise, at that age she should not do any experiments that require protective gear.

Just to clarify, dressing up for a Halloween shot, certainly, but dressing up on a more constant basis, potentially not such a good idea.

@ charony,

at that age she should not do any experiments that require protective gear.

Agreed. I had said...

If in the scenario she is using volatile chemicals or conducting some other dangerous experiments then I would retract my comment about good parenting.

What is the harm in allowing a 6 year old to play dress up in an early occupational "choice". Would you not buy your kid a fake Stethoscope if the showed interest in being a doctor, or an apron and toy hammer if the child was wanting to do construction.

I would discourage using them outside of these situations, especially if there is a chance that she may want to become a student in an actual lab at some point. If she is used to wear them for fun it may put her in the wrong mindset. [bold is mine for emphasis]

I have three children, and I see NO DANGER in having a 6 year old wear a kids lab coat. So what mindset are you trying to teach? Science is not fun? Where's the fun in that?

1000x1000.jpg

Just to clarify, dressing up for a Halloween shot, certainly, but dressing up on a more constant basis, potentially not such a good idea.

So where would that rank as child abuse on a scale of 1 to 10?

Dang! Let them be kids...

Edited by barfbag

Botany dissection kits are pretty cheap, and there is really only one that I think people ever use. She could use it to dissect parts of flowers or plants and look at plant cells vs. (ant?) cells under the scope.

Every child needs their own NMR machine too, IMO.

Edited by ProteinChem