Correctly displaying forum time

My timezone is GMT and there is currently no allowance for summertime.

I have tried all the settings I can find, but the listings persistently show timings of posts to be 1 hour ahead, whatever settings I choose.

How do I set the time correctly please?

Edited by studiot

It's possible that properly assessing the time is beyond the board software's capabilities. The rules for all of the differences in time zones and daylight saving vs not are quite horrendous. Have you tried choosing the adjacent time zone to compensate for the shift? I can get the displayed post time to change when I do that.

My timezone is GMT and there is currently no allowance for summertime.

I have tried all the settings I can find, but the listings persistently show timings of posts to be 1 hour ahead, whatever settings I choose.

How do I set the time correctly please?

What am I missing - it is the middle of winter so BST is not the one you want anyway

And in my settings I have the option to automatically detect DST (Daylight Saving Time) ie BST or another one that will force the forum to go to DST

What am I missing - it is the middle of winter so BST is not the one you want anyway

And in my settings I have the option to automatically detect DST (Daylight Saving Time) ie BST or another one that will force the forum to go to DST

But DST times have moved around in recent years, and not all of the updates have been applied everywhere. I have 3 weeks every spring and fall when my Microsoft office notifications are an hour off because they can't patch the software properly. Programming to include time is supposedly a coding quagmire.

On SFN my blog posts get time-tagged an hour differently depending on the DST status, even though it's supposed to notice when it's DST. I'm just assuming it's broken in a weird way and a low priority to fix.

Ah the good old days!

When every instrument (compass, ship's chronometer, voltmeter, post office test box etc) came with an calibration chart to be applied to correct the reading.

Perhaps SF is like that.

I must observe that this problem does not occur on other forums I visit.

Edited by studiot

I blame ydoaPs, actually.

He lives in Indiana, and they insist on setting their time zones based on whether they get their television feed from Chicago (to the west) or Cincinnati (to the east), rather than geographically the way the rest of us do it. Some counties in Indiana are further east, yet an hour behind counties to the west of them. IP Board is based in Virginia, and must see this as extremely silly, so they don't bother to make their software work for everyone.

Conclusion: ydoaPs is a Glee addict, so the rest of us must suffer. [/under the bus throwing]

Programming to include time is supposedly a coding quagmire.

Indeed. I watched a good video from one of the channels I follow on exactly this issue just a few weeks ago. It provides a nice overview for those who may be new to the idea of this being so difficult to code successfully:

Lol... Oops. Cross-posted with swansont. smile.png