Is Sex Primitive?

Sexuality seems to me very primal yet complex.

What if no one ever told us about sex? How would the effects of our sex hormones manifest, would we still have a sex drive or just the urge to masturbate? Would we still have the urge to do it if we didn't know that it existed?

Would we instinctively know what to do the way animals do?

There is a sexual drive instinctly in all sexually reproducing animals so in that case human would be doing what other animals do. there would be no thing like masturbation because this is not an instictive thing. It is an artificially generated action that solely is because of our advanced nervous system

• 7 years later...

I hope this has a notification thing :P

So surprisingly enough NavajoEverclear, that you should realise in biology and life in general that ALL things have happened because they are a BI-PRODUCT (they happen because it was the easiest route).. Sex will always be a part of future generations because.. let's say for example.. you had 4 couples.

1/4 couples aren't sexual at all and they might have one kid. Which in turn means that the genes and the DNA that drives them (whether they are more sexual or not) will not carry on because they only had one kid.
The other 3/4 couple have multiple kids.. they are very sexual. This will means that their genes are passed on more by percentage and if all of the kids become couple later on in life then the genes that have the testosterone less and a smaller sex drive will be less as well.

This is a dilemma that means that not only will people who have a smaller sex drive and a more "Primitive" background will pass on their genes and the people who have of a tendency to convert more of their energy to the development of their brain will lack the sex drive to want to mate.
One day in the future when artificial insemination have an increased success rate then only then will be able to achieve such a feat. Then the people who lack a sex drive will be more inclined to pass on their genes by storing semen.
I am a additive affect on this matter sadly. I lack sex drive but I have no interest in producing kids. I'm getting a vasectomy at the age of 23. I believe that the human race will definitely be better off if they split off the people who want to be breeders and the ones who do not. This way we can increase our efficiency as a race. But sadly this will not happen.

This is why it is a Bi-Product because it was not meant to happen but it worked out that way because it is the easiest way for our cells to live on and survive.
We do not need a sex drive and we also shouldn't have a dependency on testosterone.

Edited by 305Ditto

i would say there are many factors which induce the urge to get busy. some of which are:

Horomones, and including the triggers like afrodesiacs, ovulation schedule, etc

Instincts. Reproduction as mentioned before is a core survival trait for prosperity of a species. Although we're close to being too prosperous, which in off-topic, might play role in sexual preference or even labido production.

self-consciousness in various fields. Esteem, confidence, respect, pride, accomplishment, or even feeling as if the mission is completed, could all have a dramatic effect on willingness and desire.

With that being said, for the OPs main thread question, i would say a higher IQ is more likely to not have an eternal sex drive. It's likely youre contemplating things which are advanced and require consistent dedication, focus, and energy to do the job well, joyously. Not to mention your particular train of thought may even be the first to understanding and simply reiterating in a new way which broadens the possibility of bringing understanding to new minds, which is also important for the species. So the level of stress or contentment may be a little off balance after really stretching the brain. sometimes you just want to turn the lights off.  

Hope this brought some perspective to the table. Respecting each others perspectives is a cornerstone to progression, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Well....I think the adjective "primal" is more accurate a descriptor for sex than is "primitive." Since we all know from experience and from our past anthro and human biology studies that our sex drives, our libidos, are one of the most basic, and....well, sorry...but primal dives that we homo sapiens are imbued with. Yeah, sex and the compulsion to procreate or further the species is the most basic drive and purpose for ANY living organism. And most people, other than the theists and godists (my own term) will attest that its likely the only purpose for us being here. Mankind on this planet is, st the end of the day, not a helluva lot different in its over arching purpose and endgame than a smear of bacterium in a petri dish.

Must. Multiply! LOL

Eat.....seek a safe environment.... Procreate.... Be wary of those organisms that are not of our own species or tribe.....all primal and indispensable instincts. The word primitive, to my way of thinking, anyway, conjures up notions of something obsolete and very dated. Originating from antiquity but now surpassed by modern invention in usefulness.

Which we all know sex is decidedly not!

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Well because there is no positive proof you have to look at it two ways. Now if you look at it as if you are astoriod spit, as in evolution, you are just a higher form of animal. So you do as an animal.

But what if you look at it as if you are a devine creation? Well Adam and eve where told by God to procreate but they weren't having sex while being perfect. See how Jesus felt about sex as being perfect. He was the last Adam. No sex no desire. After the fall in the garden now Adam had sex. Lust was the motivating force.

It is a negative response that keeps you and I alive. The 'gift of fear." I propose a" gift of lust." We also have a "gift of hunger." Without those you are dead.

1 hour ago, Cam123 said:

Well because there is no positive proof you have to look at it two ways. Now if you look at it as if you are astoriod spit, as in evolution, you are just a higher form of animal. So you do as an animal.

But what if you look at it as if you are a devine creation? Well Adam and eve where told by God to procreate but they weren't having sex while being perfect. See how Jesus felt about sex as being perfect. He was the last Adam. No sex no desire. After the fall in the garden now Adam had sex. Lust was the motivating force.

It is a negative response that keeps you and I alive. The 'gift of fear." I propose a" gift of lust." We also have a "gift of hunger." Without those you are dead.

!

Moderator Note

This is posted in a science section. Please leave religion and mythology out of it.

How can you possibly leave religion and spirituality "out of it", when, for many people, all over the world, it is a large modifier of their sex drive ?

Not saying that's a good or bad thing, just recognizing that culture ( in which I include religion ) has modified how we act upon our basic instincts.
No one ( hopefully ) clubs a woman over the head, drags her back to his cave, and has sex with her anymore, do they ?

( or maybe I should say everyone knows THAT is NOT allowed, because some still do )