Fresnel's Transmission and Reflection equations.

reerer

The transmission and reflection equations of light are derived using light waves represented with (Hecht, p. 111),

I = Io cos(k1x - wt) ĵ,...................................................................................116

R = Ro cos(k1x - wt) ĵ,...............................................................................117

T = To cos(-k2x + wt) ĵ,..............................................................................118

The incident (I), transmission (T) and reflection (R) light waves' (equ 116 - 118) interaction at the transmission and reflection surface (fig 18) is represented with,

Io cos(k1x - wt) j + Ro cos(k1x - wt) j = To cos(- k2x + wt) j......................119

Using t = 0 and x = 0 equation 118 forms (Hecht, p. 113), (Klein, p. 570),

Io + Ro = To.............................................................................................120

The following equation (Hecht, p. 114),

n1Io - n1R = n2To.................................................................................121

and equation 120 are used to derive the transmission and reflection equations,

t = 2n1/ (n1 + n2)....................................................................................122

r = (n2 - n1) / (n1 + n2)............................................................................123

Using an air glass surface, n1 = 1 and n2 = 1.5, equation 121 forms,

Io - Ro = 1.5To.......................................................................................124

Equations 120 and 121 are used to derive the transmission and reflection equations but the difference of the incident (Io) and reflection (Ro) maximum amplitudes (equ 124), derived using equation 121, forms a value that is greater than the sum (equ 120).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Is my mathematics right?

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:57 AM, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

I second this request. Do not ignore it.

I am the author of everything I post except for the quotations. Example, the equations of the following derivation are not mine but everything else I wrote, personally. Swear to God.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The quantum mechanic step potential method is used to derive the transmission and reflection equations (Eisberg, p. 211), (McGervey, p. 102). The interaction of the incident, reflection and transmission light waves at the surface interface (x = 0) is represented with (fig 18),

Ioe-ik1x + Roeik1x = Toe-ik2x ....................................................125

Using x = 0  in equation 125 the following equation is formed,

Io + Ro = To........................................................................126

Differentiating equations 125 with respect to d/dx then using x = 0 forms,

k1Io - k1Ro = k2To...............................................................127

Replacing k with n since k is proportional to n equation 127 forms,

n1Io - n1Ro = n2To..............................................................128

Equations 127 and 128 are used in the derivation of the transmission and reflection equations.

t = 2n1 / (n1 + n2) ..............................................................129

r = (n2 - n1) / (n1 + n2) ......................................................130

Using n1 = 1 and n2 = 1.5 in equation 128,

Io - Ro = (1.5)To ..............................................................131

Using a air/glass interface, the difference of the incident and reflection light waves' maximum amplitudes (equ 131) is greater then the sum (equ 126) which is mathematically invalid and proves the quantum mechanics step potential derivation of the transmission and reflection equations using equations 129 and 130 is invalid and I certainly acknowledge that if I am wrong that it is a mistake to be wrong.

Edited by reerer

2 hours ago, reerer said:

I am the author of everything I post except for the quotations. Example, the equations of the following derivation are not mine but everything else I wrote, personally. Swear to God.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The quantum mechanic step potential method is used to derive the transmission and reflection equations (Eisberg, p. 211), (McGervey, p. 102). The interaction of the incident, reflection and transmission light waves at the surface interface (x = 0) is represented with (fig 18),

!

Moderator Note

The equation numbers start at arbitrary values. Same with the figure numbers and page references. The implication of your statement is that you have written up a manuscript, numbered and referenced it, added figures, and are quoting from it. That's what's going on?

1 hour ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

The equation numbers start at arbitrary values. Same with the figure numbers and page references. The implication of your statement is that you have written up a manuscript, numbered and referenced it, added figures, and are quoting from it. That's what's going on?

I am making up the numbers and figure numbers as I go along. Sorry for the confussion.