mad_scientist

Why do men who marry younger women live longer?

Recommended Posts

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/mar/31/women-marrying-younger-men-dying-earlier-research

Anyone have any ideas?

Should every man try to marry the youngest women around so they can live the longest life compared to others???

What are the advantages of marrying a slightly older wife?

Edited by mad_scientist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mad_scientist said:

Should every man try to marry the youngest women around so they can live the longest life compared to others???

Did the study say there was a correlation with the age difference and the added longevity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mad_scientist said:

What are the advantages of marrying a slightly older wife?

Absolutely none whatsoever (anecdotal personal evidence) :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DrKrettin said:

Absolutely none whatsoever (anecdotal personal evidence) :(

Would that be because there's no advantage to marrying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Thorham said:

Would that be because there's no advantage to marrying?

No, not at all, I have experienced being married to a woman older than me, and one 14 years younger. Absolutely no contest, although physical age was not a major criterion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, swansont said:

Did the study say there was a correlation with the age difference and the added longevity?

It's been awhile since I read the entire article so I'm not sure. But yeah if you're a guy, do you think it is best to be on the look out for younger women instead of older ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mad_scientist said:

It's been awhile since I read the entire article so I'm not sure. But yeah if you're a guy, do you think it is best to be on the look out for younger women instead of older ones?

If it's not the case, then your earlier question is moot.

"be on the look out for younger women" sounds...creepy. Besides, the study didn't investigate the effect of longevity of unmarried men getting punched in the face by women after being told that they're too old. I suspect that's also bad for your health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Have we ruled out the idea that younger women only married older blokes if the men were healthy?

And/or possibly well-to-do. Poverty correlates with many health-related factors, and not in a good way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Have we ruled out the idea that younger women only married older blokes if the men were healthy?

It is one of the proposed mechanism (i.e. health selection). However, the overall conclusion of the paper is that it is still unknown what causes the survival advantage for men.

4 hours ago, swansont said:

..creepy.

yup.

Other hypotheses include unequal family responsibilities, demographic shifts, sampling issues and more. Interestingly a study found that age dissimilar marriages are more satisfied at the beginning at the marriage, but satisfaction declines with length of marriage. Conversely age similar marriages seem to be more resilient to negative shocks and maintain their initial satisfaction. Still, there are no conclusive hypotheses that would explain the observation.

12 minutes ago, swansont said:

And/or possibly well-to-do. Poverty correlates with many health-related factors, and not in a good way.

I vaguely remember that the author compared a model with and without taking socio-economic status into account. Am not sure what the outcome was anymore, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now