How often do you guys go overseas to travel?

mad_scientist

What is your motivation to travel if you take frequent holidays and how much time do you take off from work?

If your holiday is short, there is stress and pressure that you won't be able to see and experience everything in the country/region of the world you want to explore. How much time do you devote to the planning process of the holiday?

There are many people who lack interest in travelling overseas for frequent holidays. Do you SFN members think that there is something wrong with these people?

What is your opinion of people who don't travel or go on holidays or lack interest in the outside world apart from their own country?

What is your opinion of people who don't travel or go on holidays or lack interest in the outside world apart from their own country?

These are two different things. You may have an interest in other places, but not go traveling, because it costs a lot, because you're afraid of flying or any other reason.

When I was single and working on either "7 days on - 7 days off" or "14 on, 7 off", I would go travelling practically on every single week off. In fact it was even financially beneficial, because practically any place I could reasonably travel to would be cheaper than staying in Australia, even taking the airfare into account.

I don't usually plan much for holidays, I just usually have a few places I want to see or a few things that I want to experience, but for most part I play it by ear. In fact, It should be a relaxing experience and having everything scheduled in advance with every waking hour already accounted for is just too stressful. I why would I want to be stressed on a holiday?

Do you SFN members think that there is something wrong with these people?

No. Some people just have other interests. For example, my brother almost never goes to overseas on his holidays, because he's a huge fan of fishing and so every holiday he has he goes on a fishing trip with his friends and you don't need to go overseas for that.

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone's different, and I don't judge them one way or the other.

Cost is the big limiting factor, especially when you're not traveling solo. Bringing the wife and kids really cause the bills to add up in a hurry, especially when airfare is from the US (and it's not as simple as grabbing a ticket or two on high-speed rail, for example).

Most of my travel (international or otherwise) is for work so it's paid for (airfare, lodging, transportation, daily stipend for food, etc.). I'll generally try to tack on an extra day or two at the front or back of the trip to explore the area before returning home... Helicopter ride into the Grand Canyon or dune buggies in the desert before a conference in Vegas, oysters and museums in San Francisco, site seeing in New York, day at the Louvre in Paris, street vendors in Singapore, etc.

Bringing family on a work trip can help minimize costs (since you only have to pay for their plane tickets since room and transport is covered by the company), but generally this arrangement isn't very fair to the spouse as they're left alone all day in a strange place while I'm working and they're spending all their time supervising the kiddos (i.e. it's not really a vacation anymore).

Edited by iNow

Most of my travel has been within the US, mainly from the Mississippi to the West Coast, between 1955 and 1995. There are still interesting places in that area unseen by me, and others like Yellowstone, Big Bend, and the Grand Canyon that can be enjoyed many times. There are many places around the world worthy of visiting, but a working person is limited in what they can see in a lifetime.

Edited by EdEarl

When I was single and working on either "7 days on - 7 days off" or "14 on, 7 off", I would go travelling practically on every single week off. In fact it was even financially beneficial, because practically any place I could reasonably travel to would be cheaper than staying in Australia, even taking the airfare into account

Oh yeah?

Which countries did you go to?

The only place I would really like to go is into out of space if my future employer makes me go due to nature of my job.

There are many places around the world worthy of visiting, but a working person is limited in what they can see in a lifetime.

If they are able to extend the life of the human species to 250 years, would you try to visit every country in the world at least once?

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone's different, and I don't judge them one way or the other

Do you think temporary short travels/holidays overseas has a significant impact on one's own personal development and changes people's perspective on life to a significant extent or are the affects relatively negligible?

I think the word OVERSEAS must now be changed to OVERAIR !

HahaHaha!

I wonder how it got to be like that in the first place!

Cost is the big limiting factor, especially when you're not traveling solo. Bringing the wife and kids really cause the bills to add up in a hurry, especially when airfare is from the US (and it's not as simple as grabbing a ticket or two on high-speed rail, for example).

What is your budget for family vacations?

What is the best thing about taking a vacation?

Is it worth it to go if you don't plan on taking any pictures of your adventures?

Depends

New experience

Of course

How has going on vacation overseas changes you as a person?

Do you sometimes ever worry that you are pouring money down the drain when holidaying?

How do you decide where to go?

Do you sometimes feel nervous about visiting overseas countries you have never been or don't know anyone who is from the country you want to go to?