Does eyes opsin only reacts to photon?

fredreload

What ?

You want to see beyond photons ?

I think nobody and nothing can SEE beyond PHOTONS, if you know what I am speaking.

But, you can see beyond the visible light spectrum by using infrared cameras.

Cool, cool idea. I'd like to be like a radar you know or see radio wave. See outside my room, or see through cement, right I need more thoughts

Edited by fredreload

Cool, cool idea. I'd like to be like a radar you know or see radio wave. See outside my room, or see through cement, right I need more thoughts

You can buy an infrared camera that works excellent at night as it shows picture based on thermal radiation given out by bodies. You must have seen such things in the TV programs in channels like NGC and Animal Planet.

:)

I want to create my own bat sense so I would like to see something else besides photon(light), is that possible?

What is it you want to detect? Electrons? Alphas? Neutrinos? Because if it's EM radiation, it's still photons.

What is it you want to detect? Electrons? Alphas? Neutrinos? Because if it's EM radiation, it's still photons.

Let's see, which type of particles enters the atmosphere at night and is not stopped by the atmosphere? To being with, why isn't photon stopped by the atmosphere?

Let's see, which type of particles enters the atmosphere at night and is not stopped by the atmosphere? To being with, why isn't photon stopped by the atmosphere?

Some photons are - others require a decent amount of lead to stop them. Our atmosphere tends to allow in photons of visible light - but tends to trap photons of infrared (this warms us up).

The chance that a particle is absorbed depends on both the density of the targets and the cross-section for interaction. Atmosphere is pretty thin, density-wise. And as imatfaal has said, it's pretty transparent at visible wavelengths, but much more opaque at others (e.g. ~9 and ~14 microns show very strong absorption on the IR side, and there's pretty good absorption in the UV) About 30% of the light that reaches the top of our atmosphere doesn't make it to the surface (when measured normal to the surface).

Let's see, which type of particles enters the atmosphere at night and is not stopped by the atmosphere?

Visible light (which can be detected by your photoreceptors). So, again, what exactly are you after?

Photoreceptors, by definition, can't detect sound (the clue is in the name).

But you can learn to navigate by echolocation: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19524962

Edited by Strange

Our sense of smell is also massively under used. Feynman taught himself to use his sense of smell more (he was a bit of a mad genius though) - there is an account in one of his autobiographies "Surely you're joking Mr Feynman" I think