How to block 100% of UV light?

epmarshall

I imagine, also, some people have over-sensitivity problems with their eyes or visual system when exposed to it.

There is a certain percentage of the population that have problems with UV light. It ranges from an itchy feeling on the skin to migraine headaches to photokeratitis (aka snow blindness). However, UV light is also associated with the production of vitamin D in our bodies, so blocking 100% might be contraindicated.

There is a certain percentage of the population that have problems with UV light. It ranges from an itchy feeling on the skin to migraine headaches to photokeratitis (aka snow blindness). However, UV light is also associated with the production of vitamin D in our bodies, so blocking 100% might be contraindicated.

I wondered about that aspect. But can't you get Vitamin D from certain food sources and be alright? I was under the impression that milk is fortified with vitamin D and other foods naturally contain it.

Also, excuse the ignorance since I know very little about light fixtures, but how do I determine whether an LED light is in a fully integrated LED fixture rather than trying to emulate a fluorescent or incandescent model?

The difference is simple. Any LED lamp that's meant to go in an old-style fixture (with a screw-in Edison base, or fluorescent tube pins) is not going to be as efficient since it's trying to look like the old bulbs, and wasting a lot of resources to do it. A fully-integrated LED fixture is one where the design is fully solid-state based, and uses diodes angled only where the light needs to go (unlike a fluorescent tube that throws light 360 degrees and has to direct half of that back downwards).

Parking lot lights are a good example. There are pole fixtures that emulate the old sodium vapor bulbs and other high-intensity discharge lamps, and use Edison-based LED bulbs as replacements. Or there's the fully integrated, thin and sleek looking LED pole fixtures, the ones you see that put out more light with a fraction of the size and profile.

There are LED downlights that replace a ceiling "can" fixture (recessed round hole with a bulb in it) with a fully integrated lamp that has no bulb, and only shines light straight down where it's needed, instead of lighting up the "can" like a bulb does. The fully-integrated fixtures use better, more efficient optics to put light where you need it instead of throwing it everywhere and then redirecting it with reflectors.

I wondered about that aspect. But can't you get Vitamin D from certain food sources and be alright? I was under the impression that milk is fortified with vitamin D and other foods naturally contain it.

I have recently been on medically prescribed vitamin D... 3000iu/day. Which is many times the RDA, for 3months, due to deficiency because of the treatment I was on; It took me just over the normal levels and I will be tested again shortly I was informed that over the counter tablets are a waste of time, you need to be medically assessed and prescribed the proper stuff in the proper amounts. Ideally, you should eat D-plentiful foods and have exposure to sunshine if there is no current deficiency. If you are going to cut yourself off completely from sunlight I would get your vit D blood levels checked on a timely basis...every 3 or 6 months say. Get prescribed by your doctor for the right stuff if necessary. Take medical advice about your intentions before you embark on this strategy.

Edited by StringJunky

This is definitely one of those situations where doing something about your problem is good, but you can easily go overboard and get obsessive about it. If you don't get severe reactions like headaches, and you're mostly worried about your looks, I'd say the suggestions offered so far will reduce your exposure by a significant amount. Doing more is going to cost a lot more, with a diminishing rate of return. IOW, the benefits won't be worth the obsessive effort.

There are a quite a few disorders which can produce unusual sensitivity to light/UV....

Yes, but to me this

"I'm just uv-proofing my entire apartment because I'm very sun-sensitive and I want to prevent aging from the sun. I don't want to wear sunscreen indoors when I'm not going out that day. I just want my apartment to be uv-free since I spend a lot of time at home and am kind of a hermit. I see no reason to take damage that I can prevent sort of thing, if that makes sense. A lot of people think I go overboard with it, so I didn't mention the reason upfront. "

didn't sound like one.

I'd have expected a mention of a medical condition.

Perhaps the OP could oblige- though I release he might not want to mention a diagnosis- it would still make it easier to design a solution.

Anyway, you could just use a sunblock- something like

http://www.marksandspencer.com/ultrasun-extreme-formula-spf-50-ultra-sensitive-100ml/p/p22249947?extid=ps_gglpla_UK_Gen_,Men%20_PLAMen%20--%3E%20Summer%20Highlights%20--%3E%20Men%27s%20Holiday%20Shop%20--%3E%20Tanning%20&%20Sun%20Protection_M&S%20Very%20High%20Protection%20Sun%20Cream%20for%20Ultra%20Sensitive%20Skin%20SPF50%20%20100ml&s_kwcid=AL!2750!3!78146820976!!!g!124877057536!&ef_id=Ve8dbgAAAG1CjDd0:20160421202554:s

which is based on TiO2 - on the windows.

Edited by John Cuthber

The difference is simple. Any LED lamp that's meant to go in an old-style fixture (with a screw-in Edison base, or fluorescent tube pins) is not going to be as efficient since it's trying to look like the old bulbs, and wasting a lot of resources to do it. A fully-integrated LED fixture is one where the design is fully solid-state based, and uses diodes angled only where the light needs to go (unlike a fluorescent tube that throws light 360 degrees and has to direct half of that back downwards).

Parking lot lights are a good example. There are pole fixtures that emulate the old sodium vapor bulbs and other high-intensity discharge lamps, and use Edison-based LED bulbs as replacements. Or there's the fully integrated, thin and sleek looking LED pole fixtures, the ones you see that put out more light with a fraction of the size and profile.

There are LED downlights that replace a ceiling "can" fixture (recessed round hole with a bulb in it) with a fully integrated lamp that has no bulb, and only shines light straight down where it's needed, instead of lighting up the "can" like a bulb does. The fully-integrated fixtures use better, more efficient optics to put light where you need it instead of throwing it everywhere and then redirecting it with reflectors.

Thank you for the explanation!

I have recently been on medically prescribed vitamin D... 3000iu/day. Which is many times the RDA, for 3months, due to deficiency because of the treatment I was on; It took me just over the normal levels and I will be tested again shortly I was informed that over the counter tablets are a waste of time, you need to be medically assessed and prescribed the proper stuff in the proper amounts. Ideally, you should eat D-plentiful foods and have exposure to sunshine if there is no current deficiency. If you are going to cut yourself off completely from sunlight I would get your vit D blood levels checked on a timely basis...every 3 or 6 months say. Get prescribed by your doctor for the right stuff if necessary. Take medical advice about your intentions before you embark on this strategy.

That's a reasonable suggestion, thanks StringJunky! It is worth noting that I have been doing this since 13 and have had checkups and blood tests throughout that time period and my levels have come back normal. It's still good to keep up with it, though, and I can definitely get checked more often than I do currently.

Yes, but to me this

"I'm just uv-proofing my entire apartment because I'm very sun-sensitive and I want to prevent aging from the sun. I don't want to wear sunscreen indoors when I'm not going out that day. I just want my apartment to be uv-free since I spend a lot of time at home and am kind of a hermit. I see no reason to take damage that I can prevent sort of thing, if that makes sense. A lot of people think I go overboard with it, so I didn't mention the reason upfront. "

didn't sound like one.

I'd have expected a mention of a medical condition.

Perhaps the OP could oblige- though I release he might not want to mention a diagnosis- it would still make it easier to design a solution.

Anyway, you could just use a sunblock- something like

http://www.marksandspencer.com/ultrasun-extreme-formula-spf-50-ultra-sensitive-100ml/p/p22249947?extid=ps_gglpla_UK_Gen_,Men%20_PLAMen%20--%3E%20Summer%20Highlights%20--%3E%20Men%27s%20Holiday%20Shop%20--%3E%20Tanning%20&%20Sun%20Protection_M&S%20Very%20High%20Protection%20Sun%20Cream%20for%20Ultra%20Sensitive%20Skin%20SPF50%20%20100ml&s_kwcid=AL!2750!3!78146820976!!!g!124877057536!&ef_id=Ve8dbgAAAG1CjDd0:20160421202554:s

which is based on TiO2 - on the windows.

I don't have anything extreme like xeroderma pigmentosum, I'm just really sensitive to the sun (both eyes and skin). My eyes are also sensitive to bright lights in general. I'm also using a prescription that increases photosensitivity.

I have never heard of using sunscreen on the windows, though!

• 11 months later...

Window films is a polyester based film and is designed to particularly reduce solar heat energy. The materials could range from metals, ceramics and different dyed materials. These window films work by reflecting the solar energy away. Some of the films have a reflective appearance and reflect visible light away. Other films work by reflecting infrared light away. These infrared reducing films block little visible light and add very little reflection to the windows keeping visibility as clear as possible. I bought a uv film for glass

it not only helps in keeping the interior a lot cooler but also protects the glass from shattering. These blast mitigation films will prevent collateral damage caused by the flying glass debris. You could even use solar screen to block out the uv but they are not optically clear to look through and they need to be cleaned periodically which requires removing and reinstalling them.